I'm in my 19th week and have been sleeping poorly for weeks. I'll wake up around 3 or 4 in the morning feeling like it's time to get up (but I stay in bed) and can't fall asleep for 1 hour, sometimes the rest of the night. My midwife suggested a high protein snack closer to bed time but that hasn't made a difference. And I've tried the obvious things - tea, bath, massage before bed. I fall asleep fine I just don't stay asleep.

I'm on day 3 of the Whole 3 and maybe would be tired anyway as my body adjusts. I feel exhausated and I know when I get tired it's harder for me to eat well. Sugar is calling my name!

Any suggestions?

I took Trace Minerals Research's Ionic Magnesium before bed when pregnant and still do. It helps me sleep through the night. I have always had a very hard time sleeping and while I was pregnant with my 2nd it was even worse. I have a tendency to wake up at 2 or 4am and not be able to fall back to sleep. The magnesium isn't perfect but helps quite a bit. You can research taking magnesium while pregnant and see what you feel comfortable doing. I took about 200mg each night before bed. It tastes terrible, but the results are worth it for me.

I experience this same thing when pregnant and eating clean paleo. As long as I stay with the program (no cheating) it usually goes away within about a week. If I cheat or keep going back and forth between clean and not so clean it takes longer.

Hope it goes away soon for you! Hang in there!

Nili

I have this issue regularly, though I'm not pregnant. I asked in another forum and got a few tips, including increasing carb intake (more sweet potato right before bed) and/or more fat right before bed (spoonful of coconut butter or something like that). It also is definitely tied to my hormones as it is particularly pronounced the week before my period. While I definitely sleep better when I am doing a W30 (on my 3rd currently) my tendency to wake up at 2ish has never completely disappeared. I haven't thought of it before, but maybe a half sweet potato with a big ol spoonful of ghee would be a perfect way to hit up both carbs and fat right before going to bed. Hope you figure it out because it sure is annoying!

Archived