Almost Whole30 Ready

Starting my 1st community log a bit early. May 1st will be my start date and first Whole30 ever. My friend has been suggesting this to me for as long as I can remember.  I have immune system issues,  that mess with my lymphatic system, inflammation,  etc... I tend to not get too excited about trying new things anymore, but I have to admit I am feeling hopeful to have any improvement. Posting to get my head in the game. I'm nervous,  but mostly excited about a healthier version of myself. I've been getting the kitchen and cupboards cleaned up and ready for new recipes. I'm still following information from the Whole30 website and books I ordered. All I have left is to make a meal plan, grocery shop, and prep food. My end game is to complete the Whole30, but ultimately change our relationship with food permanently.  I don't seem to have the ability/personality to "cheat". I tend to go into a complete sugar frenzy the minute it hits my lips. And I know there are plenty of ways to make some sweetness with whole ingredients once my Whole30 is complete, if I really crave something.  Please wish me luck. My biggest hurdle will be myself. Staying positive and not getting depressed is a huge concern for me, but I think posting my experiences may help to keep me out of my own head.

Thank you! It's going to be so nice having a friend that has done the process. I  know I'm the only one that can put in the work, but having support is going be great!!! :)

Today I received the Whole30 Family and Friends recipe book. I love the other cookbooks I got, but this one has me so excited. I love cooking for family, friends,  and parties so I was feeling a  lot of anxiety feeling like that would have to come to an end. But this book is loaded with fun recipes for all sorts of gatherings.  It was a great reminder that nothing is ending.  This is just all about a new beginning,  and learning to navigate my life in a fun but healthy way.

Just had family over for the weekend.  It was such a great time, but I started to realize my behavior towards food is getting slightly out of control before my May 1st start date. For example,  I'm eating way more than normal and practically going out of my way to eat naughty things.  I wouldn't drink chocolate milk normally but I found myself buying a half gallon and having some.  I even felt super bloated afterwards cause drinking a glass of milk isn't my norm, and I had immediate regrets.  Anyone else go through this pre- Whole30 "frenzy"? I truly feel some kind of a need to be as naughty as I can and I can't seem to shake it. I  just started reading The Whole30..The 30-day guide to total health and food freedom. Hopefully this will kick my brain into the right frame of mind, cause right this feels like self sabatoge and I haven't even started yet.

I got an email from my sister today asking me about what I can and cannot have when I go home for a visit in May. Starting to realize how I'm not alone in this, and how I was making it scarier than it will be. She makes this really good broccoli salad and of course it has mayo in it. (Or a mix of mayo and vinegar) Instead of me just skipping it,  she asked for the Whole30 mayo recipe. I feel loved and supported and I haven't even gotten to my start date. I'm building a little community of people that are all supporting this journey and going out of there way to make my transition flawless.  I'm also on my last bottle of creamer. When I run out I'm done with it. Thinking I will start the black coffee early. I even reduce my caffeine intake while I'm at it. 

More reading completed.  Found a 7 day meal plan already to use in one of the books. I still plan to make my own, but if for any reason the week sneaks up on me it will be my backup plan. My joint pain is really flared up right now, my face is all swollen,  and all I want to do is sleep. Trying to stay positive and excited, cause the last thing I need is to be too tired to begin. My spouse is in my corner so I still feel very confident.  I have a lot of hope invested in this. Just a few more days until Day 1.

Today I completed my first weeks meal plan. Will be shopping for ingredients tomorrow.  Spending the weekend prepping.  I'm very excited. My mom was reading my books while she visited and asked for a book sent to her. I ordered it and it arrived to her house this Wednesday.  She called me tonight, advised she is already 50 pages in, and decided she is going to start May 1st with me as well. This will be another support outlet. Feeling very confident with all these beautiful people in my life.

Today I made Pomegranate-Orange BBQ Brisket with celery root slaw. Absolutely delicious.  I will have several meals freezer prepped tomorrow using all the brisket.  I also made meatloaf meatballs which were also delicious and already in the freezer for easy access.  I have many meals left to prep and make freezer meals with. Very excited to start this 100% on Monday.  I did start a journal which I plan to use nightly vs coming on here since the my only support has come from Tina who I text with daily. I still plan to check in on the forum, and of course I use the resources to ask questions if I run into anything.  Wishing anyone reading this a life full of good health and happiness!!

I'm am rocking this pretty good. It's a huge learning process, and even on Day 2 I'm realizing how much alternative sugars I was using. I was pretty much eating grains and dairy of some sort at every meal too. Oddly enough my Day 1 was the worst for me. Around 2pm everything went downhill. Severe stomach pain, raging hunger, debilitating migraine,  dizzy, fatigued,  sharp neck pain....you get my point. I was surprised cause the book said Day 1 is a breeze, but it also said everyone is different.  And no one has ever accused me of being normal. Today however was really good. Woke up prior to my alarm clock feeling well rested. Noticed my morning breath was decent,  and that is not my norm. I also noticed when playing with Reagan on break I didn't get winded. So NSV for me!!! Overall just feeling calm and relaxed. 

I had to jump on cause it's my Day 3 and I've slept well for two nights in a row, I woke up this morning with no lower back or ankle pain, and my anxiety is not through the roof.  Oddly enough,  my spouse who is eating the same meals has experienced some digestive issues, but nothing serious he can't handle. I had my first cravings which did go away within minutes of focusing on something different.  I wasn't even hungry, just thought potato chips and chocolate bars seemed good. I didn't feel like cooking at all tonight, but pushed through that too and made one of our favorite meals so far. Bacon and eggs with sweet potato noodles. I was expecting a guest so we even made up some cinnamon toasted oranges with pistachios.  Realizing that anytime my brain tells me to be lazy or starts getting bad ideas, all I have to do is fight it for about five minutes and I'm back on track being productive and healthy.  I'm also realizing that even though I have lots of outside support,  I'm the only one in control of my physical and mental well-being. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update...since I find it super annoying when peeps just disappear.  Oddly enough this is a disappearing act.  I only made it 12 days. With my prediabetes,  my sugar levels were fluctuating out of control and I ended up feeling constantly ill and drained of all energy. I quit cause I was missing out on life and only sleeping.  But I did learn a lot about listening to my body when I'm full. Eating a balanced diet with good correct portions. Also learned that all the alcohol sugars I was using make me feel quite ill. So not a While30 success story but not a total loss either. Also, for anyone reading this I highly recommend posting and sharing feedback cause this forum is basically empty and useless for anyone looking for outside support.  My only commenter has been a personal friend so not the same thing. I'm talking to myself at this point. Good luck to everyone.  I hope you all have the success you are looking for!