Momma25kiddos food log

Bethany Taylor

I'm starting my log a little late here. My oldest daughter and I are jumping into our first Whole30 head first! We found this program last week and literally decided to just DO IT, so I'm a little less prepared then what I'd hope to be when starting something like this, but we're staying on track! However I've had crazy dreams of sneaking contraband food while no one was looking! :)

We began February 1st so today begins Day 4. We haven't done anything super special yet in terms of meals, but are trying to keep it simple and eat what we have on hand that's compliant until I can get our grocery shopping done. A big thing for us is doing this on a budget! As a SAHM with 5 kids we don't have a lot of wiggle room in our food budget so we have a goal to make this work within our means or hubby gets to nix the program.

In general we are a pretty healthy family, no prepackaged snack foods of any kind, rarely any premade dinner starters, I make most of our bread and we eat lots of veggies and fruits. However grains (bread, pasta, rice, corn, quinoa) take up a large amount of our daily food intake and I can see it taking its toll. And for me personally this next 30 days is all about breaking the grain/sugar addiction. And I am missing my whole fat plain greek yogurt something fierce! And while coffee isn't as wonderful without cream in it, drinking it black is not the end of the world. For me coffee is a means to an end while I attempt homeschooling 5 ambitious kiddos!

I think starting a food log is going to be a great accountability here and I'd love some feedback from anyone doing this on a budget. We've kept a paper log so I'll post days 1-3 and then come back and post Day 4 tonight!

So thankful for this community!

Happy Monday!

Bethany Taylor

www.theeccentricfamily.wordpress.com

Day 4 Food Log

Bfast - hard boiled egg, peach and coconut milk smoothie

Lunch - porkchop with sweet potato hash and kale

Dinner - stuffed bell pepper

No snacks today, but drank lots of water!

Nila, I'll have to check into the Whole30 emails. How do I get those? I'm such a newbie!

Day 5 Food log

Bfast - 2 eggs over easy, 2 slices bacon, 1/2 green apple, 1 cup sauteed kale, coffee with coconut milk

Morning snack - larabar

Lunch - salad with groundbeef sprinkled on top

Afternoon snack - pistachios (probably ate too many)

Dinner - I was on the go so I had a small piece of chicken that I had roasted for our family and another larabar on my way out the door.

Not too bad overall, I am feeling much better recently and feel the difference without all the crabs in my diet.

Day 6 Food Log

Breakfast - Apple, Pear, Spinach, lemon, celery juice (24oz), black coffee

Lunch - kale, brocolli, sweet potatoes, and pork chop stir fried

Dinner - Portabella Mushroom cap with garlic and balsamic vinegar, 2 slices bacon, 1/2 pear

Snack - coconut, date, almond ball,

Day 7 Food Log

It felt good today, I managed to eat compliant while out of the house for the day! Thursdays I direct and tutor for our homeschool co-op group and leave the house at 8:00AM with all 5 kids and don't return until 4:00. We have to pack up meals for the day and remember all our school stuff!

I am fighting a major cold and sore throat and had to take a cough drop to get through teaching a 2 hour class in the afternoon. Couch drops I'm guessing aren't compliant, but I was struggling. I'm not counting it as a cheat, but wanted to note that I did have one.

Here's today's "on the road" menu

Bfast - banana berry smoothie (16 oz), black coffee

morning snack - Larabar

lunch - fried plantain chips and pear slices dipped in almond butter, 1 hard boiled egg

afternoon snack - homemade cocoa, coconut, date, almond ball - these are yummy!

Dinner - Kofta Curry over cauliflower rice (I found the recipe on the forum here.) I used crushed tomatoes for the sauce and ground turkey for the meatballs. IT WAS FABULOUS!!! My entire family gobbled it down.

Lots of water as I'm trying to drown my cold!

Day 8 Food Log

Today was my son's birthday so lots of temptations, but with my daughter and hubby on board it seemed easier to stay compliant.

Breakfast - 1 fried egg, 2 slices bacon, fried parsnips,

snack - pear

Lunch - baked sweet potato wedges, sausage patty

snack - date, almond, coconut, cocoa ball

Dinner - ginger lemon shrimp stir fry with carrots, onions and celery (This was hubby's creation and absolutely delicious!!

Day 9 Food Log

We got a HUGE snow storm here in Maine about 24-30 inches!!! And in our family we have a tradition that I usually make waffles for bfast on snow days and fries and milkshakes for lunch! Ooooo lots of temptation here! We also were having the cake for my son's birthday and I neede to get through making it without any licking!

So while 4 out of 7 peeps in my family had waffles for breakfast I concocted a delicious warm breakfast bowl of warmed strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries with warmed coconut milk and crushed almonds. It was FABULOUS! For lunch I made the W30 folks sweet potato fries and green smoothies, and for dinner we had a butternut squash soup and a coconut, date, almond, cocoa ball for "dessert" while the kids enjoyed the cake. All-in-all a great day!

My energy has been quite good, and I'm starting to think about making this much more a way of life after the 30 days.

Day 10 Food Log

I'm trying to remember what we ate yesterday. I think we had 1/2 pear for bfast with 2 eggs. For lunch I stir-fried chicken breasts with onions and spinach and garlic and then chopped it all up and put it in a portabella cap with some of the extra chicken on the side. . . this was delicious! Sunday dinners are always cereal at our house or sometimes pancakes so I felt a little at a loss at dinner time as I dished out cereal to the kiddos. I was also in a rush because we have 5 families (22 people) from our church over 2x a month for a home group meeting and I wanted to have something compliant to eat! I ended up cutting up pears and making Kale chips. After the meeting hubby and I had a fried egg with some sausage thrown in. Not to bad, but could have been better!

Day 11 Food log

Bfast - 1 egg, pork chopped up real small and stir-fried with shredded coconut and raisins. I ran out of spinach and Kale so was void of any veggies. black coffee

snack - 1/2 banana, veggie "chips" (they were compliant)

Lunch - I got to fil a container with yumminess from the Whole Foods salad bar all sorts of yummy veggies and a huge portion of fresh guacamole.

snack - orange

Dinner - chipotle orange chicken thighs, roasted veggies (cauliflower, asparagus, carrots, parsnips)

I needed to drink more water today, I am feeling pretty dehydrated.

Oh, I also got these awesome olives from Whole Foods its a mix of green and black I ate 6-7 of those today too! YUM!

Okay, I've missed recording the last few days and can't wuite remember exactly what I've eaten. But I DID manage to stay compliant through Valentines Day!!! I'm hoping to continue recording here on out so here is Day 15 food log.

Bfast - egg scramble: spinach, red pepper, onion, bacon, black coffee

-apple carrot spinach juice 20 oz - this was very sweet to me, I'm definitely noticing changes in my tast preferences.

Lunch - 1/2 banana, 1/2 orange, spinach with vinegar, 1/3 cup homemade guacamole, 6 cashews

Dinner - taco salad, I made my own seasoning that was delicious!

Half way through today, and really starting to fee great! =)

Day 16 - Away at parents and figuring out how to "do Whole30" out of my own kitchen

Bfast - fresh berries and bananas with orange juice and cinnamon on it

Lunch - we cooked homemade deer sausage over a fire while out on a lake ice fishing. . . it was grand! Also had some carrots

Snack - apple

Dinner - taco salad, I made my own taco seasoning for the first time and it came out great!

Day 17

Bfast - I am having CRAZY dairy cravings! Like I want to eat an entire tub of whole milk plain yogurt with some maple syrup, bananas, and walnuts. . . but alas. . . I stir-fried mushrooms, parsnips, onions, red pepper, and spinach for bfast and ate a hard boiled egg.

Lunch - Salmon (that we caught ice-fishing yesterday!) asparagus, roasted cauliflower, and fresh fruit salad (watermelon, cantalope, pineapple, and strawberries).

snack - applesauce with almond butter in it, 1/2 avacado

Supper - Roasted Turkey, sweet potatoes, carrots, brocolli. (I really wanted some of the garlic mashed potatoes!)

My cravings are really starting to show these past few days. But overall I'm feeling better and having increased energy. I still wouldn't say I'm enjoying my black coffee, but I am noticing that things like fruit taste much sweeter these days and that everything seems to have heightened tastes. I'm enjoying that!

A few days ago I discovered parsnip chips. OMW heaven in a crispy little morsel! I really got away from tracking the past few days at my parents but did pretty well while there pretty much the same for meals. However, one day we were making BLT's and I was doing mine as a lettuce wrap with homemade guacamole the only bacon we could find had sugar and I made the decision to eat two slices in my BLT lettuce wraps. Obviously not compliant but I was trying my hardest not to make my mom feel bad for getting the wrong bacon. She tried so hard the entire time I was there with my 5 kids and eating the bacon was not the end of the world for me.

With 9 days left I am feeling great. We've already decided to keep Whole9 as part of our life and transition our other 4 kids into eating this way. More detailed food logs coming soon now that I'm home and have more computer access!

Day 21 Log

Bfast - 2 eggs, 2 slices bacon, black coffee, fresh juice 24oz (spinach, apple, lemon, cucumber, celery)

Snack - Larabar

Lunch - banana with almond butter, 10 grapes

snack - parsnip and sweet potato chips (fried these in coconut oil. . . YUM!)

Dinner - Salad: spinach, carrot, cauliflower, blackberries, peaches, tomato, and lots of roasted chicken with balsamic vinegar/ olive oil.

snack - totally got the snackies at night and fried a banana in coconut oil and sprinkled with cinnamon - Tasted like candy! :D

Day 22 Log

Breakfast - Warmed up peaches, pineapple, strawberries, and mango in coconut milk on the stove. Sprinkled it with cinnamon and walnut pieces. 1 hard boiled egg.

Snack - apple

Lunch - I wasn't very hungry and ate 1/2 avacado with smoked salmon slices on top. It was amazing!

snack - 1 hard boiled egg, almond butter, banana, coconut milk smoothie

Dinner - roasted kale and brussell sprout chips (my kids loved these), mashed carrots, parsnips, garlic, and cauliflower (another huge hit with the kids, and roasted brocolli and bacon. This dinner was FULL of veggies and my kids asked if we could have it again!

I also made my first beef bone broth. . . not too tricky! Hubby and I stayed up watching tv and I took out some of the meat and broth around 10:30. It was so yummy!

Hard to believe there's just a week left, this is definitely a new way of life for me. I don't even want to go back.

I need to be a little more consistent typing these up but I'm finding I really don't need it for the accountability anymore. It has become easy to eat like this! Yeah!

Saturday the 23rd I don't remember everything, but I did find a great recipe for an easy almond flour bread. I switched it up some to remove the honey and added a mashed banana in instead. It was awesome with some almond butter on it!

Recipe:

2 1/2 cups almond flour, 3/4tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 mashed banana, 3 eggs, 1 tsp AVC. Mix dry and wet ingredients separately, then stir together. Bake in a well- greased 6x3 loaf pan at 325 for 40 minutes.

Sunday Day 24 - here's the basics because I don't remeber exactly what I ate for snacks that day.

Bfast - 2 eggs, bacon, and a Portabella mushroom cap

Lunch - One of the yummiest soups I have EVER made! All of my kids downed this and asked for seconds, except our 3 year old who was sick and is recently rebeling against all food that is not PB toast. I used the bone broth that I made the other day and boiled sweet potatoes and carrot in the broth, and shredded the beef from the beef shank I used to make the broth. Then I took the fat top from the broth (you know the fat that rises when you make broth) I skimmed this off first and used it to stir fry onions, mushrooms, and Kale and then threw a bunch of bacon in the stir-fry pan too. I added this delicious stir fry mix to the broth once the sweet potatoes and carrots were soft. DELICIOUS!

Dinner - Roasted chicken drumstick and large salad. I fried parsnip chips to put on top of the salad. It add a yummy crunch!

Day 25 Food Log

Breakfast - homemade sausage and 2 eggs, coffee with yummy chocolate coconut creamer. (Blend a can of coconut milk with 8-10 dates and let it sit over night, then melt 1 square Ghirardelli baking chocolate and stir into the coconut milk. You can strain out the dates if you want, but I never do.)

Morning snack - 1/2 orange

Lunch - I'm drawing a blank. . . I ask my daughter and come back and fill this in.

Dinner - Chicken and green beans

snack - larabar

I worked out for the first time while doing the Whole30 today. I joined a group power class at the YMCA and it kicked my butt! It worked all major muscle groups using weights. I was very happy with the class, and excited to go again.

Archived