Help! Diner food!

ceegee25

Help me Whole9-ers, you're my only hope! ;-)

I'm going out to a diner for a friend's birthday today. I have NO IDEA what I could eat there, other than a grilled chicken salad with oil and vinegar (and even that I'm uneasy about...what if they cook their chicken in veggie oil?)

Does anyone have any good tips? I could make due with just a garden salad to be on the safe side, but....thoughts?

THANKS!

The one thing I learned from growing up eating at Jersey diners- they will make ANYTHING for you if possible. Pick a protein on the menu- ask for it grilled. Pick veggies and ask for it steamed or with olive oil. It definitely should not be a problem. You can even do breakfast for dinner with eggs and some sort of meat on the side.

Be careful to ask how the grill is seasoned. I am learning that soybean oil is very common. A clean pan can do the trick, though.

Thanks guys. I went with a mixed greens salad with pecans (I made sure they weren't sugared) and grilled chicken and a ton of veggies. It was pretty filling. I did my best; I asked if they could grill the chicken in EVOO, and perhaps the pecans weren't "raw" pecans, but I ate around them, for the most part.

I had a ton of onions though and now my breath is stankin'! Oops ;-)

Archived