Starting April 10th-31 Days before my 40th Birthday

Becky T

Hi Whole 30ers,

This will be my 2nd whole 30. My first whole 30 was almost exactly 1 year ago. I loved it, felt better, lost some weight, etc. Most of the year went well. After Thanksgiving, my Dad, who had been battling cancer for 4 years, began to lose his battle against the disease. I did a lot of things well while my Dad was dying--took him to Dr. appointments, spent time laughing with he and my Mom, planned fun outings with my 4 kids to do with their Grandad, and got to tell him again and again how much I loved him and all he has meant to me. My Dad died March 20th, almost 3 weeks ago.

What I have not done well during his illness is deal with food. I've been eating every junky carb on the planet as a way of coping with grief. My clothes are too tight and my face is fuller. And I turn 40 on May 11th. I am not afraid of turning 40, but frumpy, bloated, and feeling physically blah is not how I envisioned doing it. When I realized today I am only a month away from this milestone birthday, I told my husband I had to start a whole 30 tomorrow. I signed up for the whole30 daily, and here I am on the whole 30 forum, letting the whole 30 world know that I need to do this well. I need accountability because my grief is raw and I am emotionally tired, but I know junk food will do nothing to process my grief.

So there it is. Tomorrow is Day 1. Thanks for listening.

Becky

Hi Becky,

I am so sorry to hear about your father. I can't imagine having to deal with such a loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you heal from this.

I, too, am starting my second round of Whole30 tomorrow, exactly 45 days before my 40th birthday, too! I look foward to taking this journey, and would love to be a support person for you and draw on your strength for support for me, as well!

40's here we come.... healthier, leaner, wiser, lighter and smaller!! :)

Nicole

Hi! So sorry about your loss. I am sure it is very difficult. You are blessed to have such wonderful memories!!

I, too, hit the 40th mark late march! I did great beginning of the year, felt great, clothes felt great, had an allout blast of a party and then went downhill lol. I found my 10 pounds that were searching for me:)!!! Every. Day. I am wanting to make better choices and then something happens. I need my strong mentality back! Just finished breakfast which was an awesome whole 30 meal and hoping today is the day!!!!

Good luck to you !!!

Nicole,

Thanks! Please check in and let me know how you are doing! It is only the morning of day 2, but so far, so good. I still have 'non whole 30' food in the house because of my kids, but as they eat it up I will not be replacing it, with a couple of exceptions. One thing that I have noticed is when my kids are eating 'stricter paleo' is that I really have to make sure they get enough fat at EVERY meal or they are hungry ALL THE TIME. They are 3, 6, 8, and 10, so I still do 80% of the food prep when it comes to chopping. I think the increase of kitchen time is one of the toughest parts for me. I am glad I signed up for the daily emails; I think seeing it in my inbox every morning will help me refocus and strengthen my resolve.

AJ10, I found the 15 pounds that were searching for me. So annoying to have to lose it AGAIN. I hope you are getting a strong mentality back-good luck to you, too!

Day 6! One of the things I am focusing on is dealing with sugar cravings and snacking. I have been very careful not to snack after dinner, drinking water or herbal tea instead. I am also careful not to have fruit with breakfast (on my last whole 30 I discovered fruit for breakfast sets off sugar cravings all afternoon/evening). So fruit to finish off lunch and sometimes dinner.

All that to say, my sugar cravings have been better than expected! I've had a couple evenings that I kept sipping fizzy water and headed to bed early, but they have not been as bad this whole 30 as they were the first whole 30. I am hoping my body will really make progress regulating my hormones again. Reading the 4 'science-y' chapters of ISWF is helping me stay more focused on helping my body heal and correct itself instead of just eating approved foods.

Thankful to be nearing the 1 week mark with things going so well!

Archived