Compliant Cough Drops

tanis

Hi,

I searched the forum and found a couple posts about people that have accidently eaten a cough drop without thinking about it, but nothing about any being compliant. Are there any that are more natural and compliant?

Thanks,

Tanis

Most sugar free cough drops have artificial sweeteners in them that are likewise non compliant.

Have you tried, instead of a cough drop, a cough tea? Natural Medicinals makes several. Have it unsweetened and you are good to go, or add a little coconut milk if you like.

Thanks for the response. I'm fine with tea during the day, it's at night that I have the problem. Before, if I woke up in the middle of the night in a coughing fit because of my scratchy/sore throat, I would pop in a cough drop and then be able to go back to sleep relatively quickly, but getting up, making and drinking a cup of tea just won't work because I would most likely end up not falling back to sleep.

• 1 month later...

I have this problem, too, and have been wondering the same thing. I'm a severe asthmatic (one reason I'm trying the Whole30, to eliminate unnecessary inflammatories), which means I'm super susceptible to colds and sinus/bronchial infections due to the effects of medication I can't avoid.

That said, I have coughdrops at my bedside and in my pockets at work. There's no way I'd be able to get up and have any tea, herbal even, and fall back to sleep and/or not have to pee all night. Plus, I teach skating, and am not allowed to bring beverages on the ice with me, so tea is out at work, as well.

My take? In severe cases, where a cough drop will do you more good than harm, consider it medicine and take it. It's not worth coughing all night or all day during work if you have no other options.

BTW, when I'm sick at home, cup after cup of tea with lemon seem to do the trick, especially some of the herbal teas formulated for colds and flu!

Archived