Another mishap! Fridge of tomatoes. Any advice?

Frozenrozie2

Hi all,

I placed my weekly food order and didn't realize the 10 Roma tomatoes I ordered were actually 10 bags! No wonder it was so expensive :)

So now I'm drowning in tomatoes, not a great cook and have to figure out what to do with them.

I figure I'll try to make sun dried tomatoes in the oven but my oven isn't big enough to handle all of them and it takes a long, long time to make.

Any recipes/ recommendations for stuff I can make than freeze?

Thanks in advance!

Lauren

• Moderators

Tomato sauce!! Oh gosh! Blanch those guys up so you can get the skin off and then put them in a pot with some stock (not too much, just enough to get them going) some salt, pepper, garlic and fresh herbs... cook it all down and then hit it with an immersion blender... can it in 500ml mason jars (leave an inch of space from the top) and freeze it! That's all your tomato sauce needs (Mel joulwan's eggplant strata needs tomato sauce for instance) for a year!

For actual instructions on how to make tomato sauce with roma tomatoes, I suggest googling... I'm not really a recipe kind of person so I would just wing it as above but if you're not comfortable with that, there's probably no less than 3million tomato sauce recipes online! Just make sure you don't put sugar or any weird oils in!

• Moderators

Oh no problem!

If you're into soup (as a part of a template meal, not as a meal on its own), try making this roasted roma tomato and basil soup. The instructions are very clear, there are photos and it looks delicious. (obv don't make the cheesy croutons that go with it). You could make and freeze that too and I'd use bone broth instead of vegetable broth if you have it... you can pop a couple jars out of the freezer, reheat it, add some shredded chicken or pork, toss up a nice colorful salad with a handful of olives and you have lunch! Gosh, that's actually making me hungry!

http://www.cookingclassy.com/2015/08/roasted-tomato-basil-soup/

Tomatoes can also be frozen whole. Pop them in a freezer bag and forget them. When you thaw them, the texture will be similar to that of a stewed tomato (although a little more watery than that), and the skins slip right off. This is a very fast solution up front, but you have to spend more time on prep when you want to use them; typically I find they need a good straining to get rid of some of the excess water, and probably do best being cooked down to concentrate the flavors some.

Oh, and can I say I'm jealous that you have fresh tomatoes? Montana in January... Not a decent tomato to be found!

Yes! I second the freezing of whole tomoatos. I would defiantly make sauce and freeze what I could but freeze some too. I used to do this a lot when I would be up to my ears in tomatos when I had a garden. I have even added them frozen to a spaghetti sauce as an after thought and dug the skin and stem out later lol. I too am jealous of your abundance of tomatos! Good luck.

Roasted tomatoes are a delicious side dish.  Cut them in half lengthwise, put on a sheet pan, cut side up.  Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast them at 450 for 25-30 minutes.  They get all caramelized and yummy.  You can drizzle some balsamic vinegar over them after they're roasted, and/or some minced garlic.

Archived