Turnip Greens and Kale braised in bone broth

AndiArndt

Saturday I went to the farmer's market and bought a bunch of stuff, including marrow bones as well as baby kale and turnips with the greens attached.  I made the bone broth that day.  Sunday, I realized that the broth and the lard would be perfect for making greens, and it was easy and delicious.  You could use any greens for this recipe, like collard, swiss chard, spinach etc.

2 tbsp beef lard

1/2 an onion, roughly chopped, not too fine

salt & pepper

greens (I had about a one-gallon-bagful

Bone broth, 1-2 cups

In a large skillet, heat the lard and saute the onion in it, then season with the salt and pepper.  Add the greens and saute until wilted.  Add enough bone broth to cover the greens about halfway, and simmer 25 minutes.  The broth is delicious!

Hi! this sounds very yummy! I am new to this....we don't have any farmers markets until later in the spring...(I'm in PA) where would I get Beef Lard? Is there something else I could use? Also, never had most of the greens you mentioned- should I try new ones with this recipe or use spinach or something I've had before? Sorry for all the questions... :)

Yankeesfan

I found Epic Tallow at a Whole Foods.  Epic also has Duck and Pork Fat.  I recommend trying the Duck Fat it is liquid gold and I use it all the time; I have even put in my homemade mayo.

Archived