Drinks as part of meals

This is Day #1 for me!!  The guidelines say to eat your meals (protein + veges+ fat + fruit (opt)) and to have three big meals with no snacking in between.  Kombucha (GT's specifically) is Whole30 compliant because it has fruit juice instead of added sugar.

If I wanted to drink kombucha, when do I do this?  Would it be instead of having some fruit during meals?  

The same would apply to coconut water.

• Moderators

We want you drinking water mostly. You can swap kombucha for water at a meal or after a meal. You don't have need to count kombucha as a serving of fruit.

You should not drink coconut water as a beverage. It is too sweet. The occasion when coconut water is acceptable is when running a distance event like a half-marathon or longer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tom, actually according to the Whole30 book, it is compliant.

"Most coconut waters are technically compliant, containing only natural sugars from the coconut. However, some brands add additional sugar to their ingredients, so read your labels. Remember, anything with sugar in the ingredient list is out for your Whole30. ✪ Tip: Coconut water is essentially a “light” fruit juice. If you’re involved in endurance athletics, work in an environment that leaves you prone to dehydration, or just want a refreshing treat, coconut water can be a fine choice for rehydration. (Although adding a pinch of salt to coconut water makes it a much better hydration drink if dehydration is a legitimate concern.) Just don’t let coconut water take the place of plain old water in your daily routine."

I drink CO2 brand, pure coconut water with no added sugar and I love it :)

Archived