Starting March 21 (Tuesday)

Rhumbline

Hi, I have started the Whole30 - on my third day!  Going well thus far.

Just discovered the meal template - somehow I missed the whole mean template concept!  I thought I could eat endless fruits and veggies all day.  I'll try to scale back to three meals and an occasional snack.

My goal for whole30 is to reduce aches which I associate with arthritis and find trigger foods to avoid post whole30.

I'm 51, exercise regularly.

Biggest issue for me will be to cut down on snacking.  I'm accustomed to eating three small meals and snacking all day long to keep be fueled.  Hope I can shift for the remainder of the days.

Cheers,

Brendan

• Moderators

Hey Brendan;

Aim to make your meals last 4-5 hours between without the need to snack... if, during the time you're working out your own perfect portions, you need to eat between meals, make it a mini meal of protein and fat and ideally veggies...so maybe some chicken salad made with mayo on some celery sticks... 'snacking' is considered more hand to mouth snacking, eating for boredom, habit, lonliness etc... and we want you to get out of that habit... which it does sound like it is for you.

Don't be afraid of eating three reasonable meals and then checking in with yourself to see if you're really hungry between or you just want to eat because that's what you used to do... the litmus test for eating between meals is 'could I gladly eat steamed fish and broccoli'... if the answer is yes, then eat. If the answer is no, but I would happily eat an apple and almond butter, that's not hunger thats a craving or habit talking.

Day 4 - finally figured out the template.  Meals are much bigger than I am used too, however, snacking between meals has been eliminated.

Breakfast - Three fried eggs,1/2 avocado, oranges and handful of cashes

Lunch - 1/2 baked chicken breast, 3 onions - hard to pass up when baked alongside chicken, 1/2 avocado, baby carrots and nuts

Dinner - steak, whole avocado, mixed greens, pile of baby carrots, few figs and handful cashews

No snacks all day - bravo!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rhumbline said:

Going well.  Still not used to the volume of food at each meal!  I'm a life-long all-day grazer!

Here's a pic of my three egg omelet stuff with sautéed onions and left over steak from nigh before.  Yum.

W30Breakfast.JPG

Is this still available?  I'll bring my own fork. :)

Day 7 in the books.  The drowsiness hit me hard today.

I'm a little worried about this upcoming weekend - participating in a scout overnight on an old Navy ship (very cool), and I will have to surf around two meals (dinner and breakfast) which I'm sure will be anything but W30 friendly.  Cooler to be packed with W30 vittles before boarding.  Fingers crossed I can make it.

Cheers.

Day 8 ended in some abdominal discomfort that lasted ~hour. Happy it passed.  Might have been due to the 1/2 jar of salsa I pounded with dinner ;).

Day 9 abdominal discomfort gone.  Things going well.  I need to expand my food horizons beyond baked chicken, steaks and omelets. 

Made it through the scout outing without falling off wagon (phew)!

Just finished day 15 - yet to get the energy boost.

Good: not hungry between meals and urge to snack greatly diminished.

Hoping to get the on the good side of this thing - should kick-in any day now.

Cheers.

Archived