Am I eating too much?

LLavender

Hi everyone! I just started on July 5th and so far so good. I tried to read through the other forums, I couldn't find anything for my specific eating habits on The Whole30. I feel like I eat way too much as I am stuffed at each meal. This morning for breakfast I had an avocado mixed with diced tomato with salt and pepper, about 4 or 5 oz of leftover taco meat mixed with 4 oz of leftover grilled veggies and an egg scrambled in ghee. I'm trying to use the template as best as I can. I tend to do better with lunch and dinner as far as veggies go, just not sure what to have in the mornings. I wake up, have my black coffee do about 30 minutes of moderate cardio then about 15 minutes of weights and then I make my breakfast. What else can I do I so appreciate the help! Thanks!:D

That's a question I'd like to hear the answer to. I'm looking at the huge plate of food and so far, I'm going by how hungry I am by the next meal.  I haven't "stuffed," myself or got to a point where I feel like I ate way to much.  Only my 3rd day on the program. 

• Moderators

Hi LLavender,

Your Meal One example sounds good for the most part.  Rather than using oz, try to measure in palm size for meats. 1 - 2 palm sized servings of meat, 2-3 cups of veggies (more if it's greens), eggs serving = number of  eggs you can hold in one hand (for most of us, that's 3-4). Always include fat, if you are only using cooking fat, scrape it out of the pan onto your meal.

The real test is, are you able to go 4-5 hours before getting hungry? In the beginning, it may seem like a lot of food. If you are having trouble eating Meal 1, our recommendations are:

1. eat within 1 hour of waking
  2. eat before you allow yourself coffee (it's an appetite suppressant)

Don't hem yourself in with Meal 1 veggies, whatever sounds good. Breakfast salad can be surprisingly nice. Sauteed spinach, onion and mushrooms is one of my favorite combinations.

Keep up the good work. You can do this!

My go-to breakfast has been what I refer to as Whole30 Skillet.  I cut up either sweet potato or russet in small cubes (about 1 cup) and use either ghee or a little bit of olive oil to cook them up and keep them from sticking to the cast iron skillet.  I season them with basil, garlic powder and paprika.  Once those are done I add some onions and peppers and dice up a small Roma tomato and add some fresh spinach to everything else.  In a small bowl I whisk 2 large eggs, add two tbsp of cashew milk and then scramble those in a different pan.  Once the eggs are done I add them to the skillet and mix it all up, sprinkle with a little bit of salt and pepper and sometimes I'll have 1/4 of an avocado on the side.  I have this after a cup of coffee and it keeps me from being hungry for at least 4-6 hours.  It tastes great too.

1 hour ago, ultrarunnergirl said:

Hi LLavender,

Your Meal One example sounds good for the most part.  Rather than using oz, try to measure in palm size for meats. 1 - 2 palm sized servings of meat, 2-3 cups of veggies (more if it's greens), eggs serving = number of  eggs you can hold in one hand (for most of us, that's 3-4). Always include fat, if you are only using cooking fat, scrape it out of the pan onto your meal.

The real test is, are you able to go 4-5 hours before getting hungry? In the beginning, it may seem like a lot of food. If you are having trouble eating Meal 1, our recommendations are:

1. eat within 1 hour of waking
  2. eat before you allow yourself coffee (it's an appetite suppressant)

Don't hem yourself in with Meal 1 veggies, whatever sounds good. Breakfast salad can be surprisingly nice. Sauteed spinach, onion and mushrooms is one of my favorite combinations.

Keep up the good work. You can do this!

Thank you for your quick reply, knowing that I'm pretty close sure does help. And I have eaten breakfast salads in the past, don't know why all of a sudden I forgot about them now! LOL I can definitely go the 4+ hours without eating, something I didn't think I would be able to do since I have always been someone who likes to have a snack (often unhealthy ones at that!). My biggest challenge has been cream in my coffee and cheese so basically just Dairy. Oh and rice, I've never eaten many potatoes or pasta except for sweet potatoes. Again thanks for the advice, I'm motivated and excited! :D

I too feel like I am eating too much so reading through this is helpful. My question is that I've always eaten on the smaller side of most people. I think I've mostly stuck to these guidelines and still feel like I am eating a lot. Can I just stop when I get full, as long as I get proteins, veggies and fat in? 

I started July 7

Archived