emergency appendectomy while on Whole 30

Hi all- this is my first post. I started my 1st Whole 30 on Tuesday, September 5th. On Sunday, September 10th I had and emergency appendectomy. Leading up to Sunday I believe I was 100% compliant. I had a low grade headache from detoxing and stress through Saturday and generally felt crappy. I woke up in agony on Sunday and thought I was experiencing food poisoning. Once I got to the ER and was told I had to have a scan I had to drink a pitcher of an artificially sweetened drink that makes the contrast adhere for the scan. Throughout the next 24 hours I had general anesthesia, morphine, percocet-lots and lots of toxins in my body! 6 days later I have tried as hard as possible to stay compliant on Whole 30. I haven't taken any pain meds since Tuesday . I was glad that I had some chicken bone broth in my freezer. Anyway, I guess I am looking for support because Im now on day 11 and while I've cut out all non compliant foods/beverages, Im not feeling the benefits because of my recent surgery. I wonder if I should have just postponed the rest of my Whole30 journey.  Any thoughts?

• Moderators

Eating healthy foods is always going to be healthy, so sticking with whole30 through all of this is great. No one would have blamed you if you'd thrown in the towel and just started over when you were feeling better, but if you've stuck with it this far, just hang in there and keep going. Days 10 and 11 are the days when people are most likely to quit even under normal circumstances, and you're dealing with lots of extra stress.

As far as feeling the benefits, it might just take you longer to notice anything because your body is working on healing itself after the surgery. It can only do so much at once, and will prioritize healing a wound over giving you tiger blood. Just know that even if it doesn't feel like anything is changing, you are doing something good for yourself and helping your body to heal.

Archived