Whole Foods Hot Italian pork sausage

Daisy R

I just wanted to share this with everyone. I had purchased Whole Food's hot italian pork sausage. I read the ingredients on the tag in front of it and it was Whole30 compliant. Just now when I was about to use it, I read the label on the sticker they put and guess what?! it says sugar! I was so upset. I was about to make this awesome sausage gravy recipe. Oh well, now my boyfriend can eat it instead. But now I know to read all labels, even after I think it's completely compliant.

The only compliant sausage I can find at my Whole Foods is their Andouille Sausage. It has no dextrose. Pretty sad that my favoriate italian sausage is non-compliant. BTW there is a sale on sausage this weekend at WF!

thanks Doni. The sausage I'm talking about is behind the deli counter. I've found lots of compliant sausage. the andouille is pretty good. I've gotten a couple other pork and chicken ones also that are compliant. I can't think of them off hand. And behind the deli counter, their turkey hot sausage ones are compliant and I just bought a bunch of other sausages recently like the breakfast sage ones they have, the chorizo and another one. Now I just make sure to read the label they have in front of the meat and the sticker they put on the wrapper as well.

thanks Doni. The sausage I'm talking about is behind the deli counter. I've found lots of compliant sausage. the andouille is pretty good. I've gotten a couple other pork and chicken ones also that are compliant. I can't think of them off hand. And behind the deli counter, their turkey hot sausage ones are compliant and I just bought a bunch of other sausages recently like the breakfast sage ones they have, the chorizo and another one. Now I just make sure to read the label they have in front of the meat and the sticker they put on the wrapper as well.

At the Whole Foods by me (in Princeton), they have Basil & Garlic poultry sausage, Apple Spice poultry sausage and Chorizo that are all compliant. I had read that the Whole Foods Mild Italian poultry sausage was compliant as well, but when I went and asked for ingredients, sugar was listed --- so I skipped it. In their pre-cooked sausage section, they do have a pack of 4 links that's Mild Italian poultry sausage that's compliant and delicious, so I've stuck to using that. I always stock up on over 2 pounds of what's in the case though because that brings the price down by $1 per pound.

The Aidell's Organic Chicken and Apple Sausage is compliant.

We usually buy a pound of pork and season it up for the week for breakfast. This week I went Chorizo style (or my version of Chorizo style). Next week I'll probably go back to the Italian seasoning. I made a big batch of the Italian Seasoning from Well Fed and it is pretty close to typical Italian Sausages.

I guess it depends on where you live as to what's in our sausage! The pork andouille I get is in the deli counter and freshly made so it's not always available. I'm in San Diego and all the others have dextrose in them including the turkey. I second Michaela with buying pork in bulk and seasoning yourself.

I definitely think it depends on where you are. Even near me different Whole Foods will have different sausages behind the counter. I also like to buy in bulk since I save some money. Also in the premade section, theres an italian herb chicken sausage that is pretty good and compliant.

Archived