IBS, weight trouble, and milk

Like I said, I'm really not sure. The go-to recommendation for digestive issues is the Super Enzymes, but that's usually because there usually isn't a diagnosis and it's just an all purpose, "this has everything you could possibly be lacking in" recommendation.

In your case, you know what's missing or what's lacking, so taking something specific to that makes more sense to me from an efficacy perspective. Again, I don't KNOW if that logic is right, but it makes sense to me.

Additionally, for people with REALLY messed up guts, Robb's known people to take up to 10 pills (of the super enzymes) and still not feel ANY warmth...so stick with it and be patient. Don't just get up to 5 pills and be like, ugh it's not working.

Did you ever consult with one of the paleo folk about this? Cause if not, and of the HCl doesn't make a dent, I still think you should.

Like I said, I'm really not sure. The go-to recommendation for digestive issues is the Super Enzymes, but that's usually because there usually isn't a diagnosis and it's just an all purpose, "this has everything you could possibly be lacking in" recommendation.

In your case, you know what's missing or what's lacking, so taking something specific to that makes more sense to me from an efficacy perspective. Again, I don't KNOW if that logic is right, but it makes sense to me.

Additionally, for people with REALLY messed up guts, Robb's known people to take up to 10 pills (of the super enzymes) and still not feel ANY warmth...so stick with it and be patient. Don't just get up to 5 pills and be like, ugh it's not working.

Did you ever consult with one of the paleo folk about this? Cause if not, and of the HCl doesn't make a dent, I still think you should.

I read the series Chris Kresser did about GERD, H.Pylori, and carb malabsorption, and many of the things he said are what I am suffering from (even though I don't have GERD). He recommends dairy in the form of yogurt and kefir to help promote the growth of beneficial bacteria, limit net carbs to around 30g/day so malabsorption cannot occur, and supplement with Betaine HCL (among other things). I ordered some HCL and it will be here Friday, I'll give it a try and see. It's basically a ketogenic diet, which may be a problem in maintaining, let alone gaining, weight, but it's worth a shot since it's not a long-term stint.

The problem is I'll be eating a fair amount of dairy, and while I tolerate yogurt and kefir much better than milk I'm not sure if there will be an inflammatory response, especially since my small intestines is inflammed and I'm trying to heal it. Alot of people in the comments on Kresser's site noted that the addition of kefire and/or yogurt played a big part in their success in curing themselves, and Kresser himself says kefir is essentially a superfood for restoring gut flora. I'm all for it, but in planning out my meals I've run into the problem of getting enough calories without adding goat cheese as well. I've already got avocadoes, coconut oil, and almond butter in the mix. I cannot handle olive oil for some reason, and besides the fat that comes with various cuts of meat and fish I will eat, does anyone have any other recommendations as ways to up cals?

If this approach doesn't work then I'm either going to Temple University, which has some of the best motility docs in the country, or consulting with a paleo person. I need to get down to the root of this and fix it so I can move on with my life. Thanks for your advice Renee, I really appreciate it.

The malabsorption is only a concern with fructose, right? Did Chris mention starches at all? I want to say that that series was written during Paleo's general fear of all carbohydrates, before everybody realized that starch isn't the devil, so If he didn't mention avoiding starch specifically, I'd play around with that number a little and not treat the 30g as gospel.

If carbs will help you get to your calorie goals, and you can tolerate it, I'd use the tapioca.

Side note: Joe, we've TOTALLY gone down the rabbit hole here and are way outside of the scope of this forum. Our disclaimer really has to be that we're keeping things as close to W30 related as we can, because it really opens Pandora's box and it's just not scaleable.

So, while I absolutely encourage you to update us on how everything is going and even keep asking questions here as long as they're broader, W30 directed ones, we really need to rein this specific discussion in a little. (Your inclusion of yogurt and kefir also has the potential to confuse some newbies if they read posts out of order and miss the context)

Sorry for being bad cop, but I think it's time! I'm more than happy to throw some more resources at you on Facebook if you need them as well :)

Archived