3 day campout - help me plan!

In a couple weeks we have a three-day campout with my daughter's AHG troop. Now it's not a backpack in and camp type campout but still... three days. There were options to pay to eat with everyone else and my husband and 5 of our 6 kids were paid for and will be eating that. My son isn't paleo but has to be gluten-free so I will have to pack for him (he's 13 and 5'10!) and myself. One or two meals or so we could drive to the BBQ place where I can get pork that's naked (no dry rub or anything!) but I will need to pack for the rest of the time. I can bring a cooler of course but need easy, compliant food for three days.

Thanks for helping~!

If I was car camping, with a fire, I'd probably cook a sweet potato in the coals and a steak on top. Pretty much any veggie combo, even a frozen one, could go in a foil pack with some fat and seasonings. Hobo burgers using sweet potatos (or maybe even plantains) would probably be awesome, too. Spaghetti sauce with some sort of compliant sausage (or those meatballs) would be pretty nice. For breakfast, we have been loving the Applegate Farms Chicken and apple with sweet potatoes and apples. I also like to add mushroom and spinach. The veggies could be chopped and cooked in advance, maybe frozen to keep better in the cooler, then reheated with the cooked sausage. Add eggs for larger palms. :-)

I'd check around for freeze-dried, or dehydrated, veggies and eggs. We have a dehydrator and have been making veggies and jerky for my husband for business trips. For fat, you can use coconut meat/flakes, nuts, or, maybe, avocado. Some baby foods make awesome portable veggie purees.

Ooh, and I love making baggie omelettes when I am car camping. Drop the eggs, fat and veg into a quart freezer bag and put into boiling water. Makes for a fluffy omelette and easy clean-up.

Archived