5/30/2013 First Whole30

sahooks

Day 1

Was going GREAT all day until about an hour before dinner. I started getting really hungry so made some scallops with coconut milk, green thai curry paste, onions, eggplant and green bell peppers. Tasted great, but I still felt hungry 15 minutes later so had some ground beef with coconut oil. Then my tummy really started hurting. I checked the date on the thai curry jar, and it said best by 2009. LOL. Great way to end day 1! Or maybe it was the scallops. So I took a whole spoonful of ground ginger and sipped some chamomile tea with caraway seeds. Feeling less stomach pain, but I have a headache. Not sure if this is carb/caffeine withdrawal symptoms, food poisoning, or both. Regardless, the thai curry paste went into the trash!

Duh. Thought my cycle was due to start next week. Just started so looked back at my calendar and saw that I was right on time. It makes sense that I would be having worse headaches yesterday and today because I usually eat lots of carbs and sugar the night before and the day I start. Which of course I didn't do this time since yesterday was Day 1 of Whole30. I didn't exactly pick the best day to start all of this! Emotionally I felt great yesterday, so despite the physical symptoms I wasn't feeling crazy in the head - a major plus for someone who usually suffers PMS big time! Just took 1000 mg acetaminophen (vs. my usual ibuprofen, which is not Whole30 approved) and already feeling much better - headache and back pain has diminished significantly. Almost no cramps, which is pretty amazing and also why I didn't suspect my cycle was starting. Also, despite not feeling hungry this morning (due to the headache and neck/shoulder pain), I found that as soon as I started eating I was ravenous! Breakfast was delicious - 3 eggs cooked in 1 T coconut oil and plenty of steamed asparagus. Yum.

Oh, my goodness. For lunch made the master recipe for chicken - Mexican style from It Starts With Food p. 266. Added eggplant, tomato, and onion as my veggies and sauteed along with the other ingredients. It was absolutely delicious. Added more meat this time since I was hungry before dinner yesterday. May have added too much. I gobbled it right up. Will definitely be making that dish again! Feeling achy and tired from menstrual cycle, but tummy is completely satisfied:-)

Day 3

Hardest day so far. Due to road construction, it has taken an extra three hours to get to various appointments throughout the city. I expected to have time to prepare some nice meals, but instead I have been forced to throw together last-minute meals for lunch and dinner. In addition, I had to wait a long time between lunch and dinner so was ravenous by the time I finally sat down to eat tonight. I need to come up with a better strategy for these types of unexpected situations. So far I have eaten the right foods in the right proportions, but it was not easy. I would like nothing more than a latte about right now. I am starting to see how much I rely on sugar and caffeine for an emotional pick-me-up.

Day 4

Despite 9 hours of sleep I still felt tired when I woke up this morning. Didn't feel hungry for breakfast:

2 eggs

Steamed asparagus

Handful of dried unsweetened coconut flakes

Black coffee

I find that I really like to eat the coconut flakes while I sip my coffee. It's slightly sweet so cuts the bitterness of the coffee.

Lunch:

Classic Chicken Soup p. 263 It Starts With Food. Instead of the homemade bone broth I used store-bought free range organic chicken broth with no toxic additives. It was very good soup and very filling. In fact, I couldn't finish all of the broth.

Day 5. Hardest day yet.

I made the salmon cakes recipe on p. 280 It Starts With Food and ate 2 of those last night with ghee, spinach, and 2 large strawberries. Delicious.

This morning I had 2 more of the salmon cakes with ghee and steamed asparagus. Had black coffee later that morning during a meeting. It's usually a breakfast meeting, but I was not sure the restaurant would have Whole30 compliant meals, so I ate before.

Unfortunately I was not able to eat again until about 3 PM. I was ravenous. I had about 1 1/2 palm sizes of the master chicken recipe I had made on Day 2 with a romaine/red cabbage salad. For dressing used 1 T olive oil and 1 T red vinegar and a handful of blueberries. It was great, but I was STILL feeling hungry 2 hours later. So I had another meal - 2 salmon cakes from the night before, ghee, and a romaine/red cabbage salad mix. An hour later - still hungry. I was so confused - and then it dawned on me that I was not eating enough fat with the salmon cakes. I was pouring a little bit of the 2 T ghee in the recipe over the 9 salmon cakes and counting that as my fat for the meal. Not enough! So I had a cup of chai tea (black) with a handful of coconut flakes. That did it! Immediately I felt better. When I eat the rest of the salmon cakes I will be sure to add an extra full serving of fats. And now that I think about it, I the recipe said serves 2-3. I should have been eating at least 1 more salmon cake per meal since the recipe made 9 cakes. It turns out my 2 meals of 2 salmon cakes with veggies and the handful of coconut flakes were about equal to 1 meal. No wonder I had to have an extra meal today. I will have to eat some more protein with the last 2 salmon cakes (probably some ground beef) to make a meal-sized protein serving. Will probably have those for breakfast tomorrow.

Day 6

Easy day. First workout during Whole30. I did the recommended portions of protein/fat for the pre-workout and the recommended protein for the post-workout. However, I'm not sure if I added too many carbs to the post-workout. I had a whole sweet potato. I has been a couple of hours since the workout, and I'm not hungry for dinner yet. Next time I'll drop down to 1/2 sweet potato so that I will still want to eat the last meal of the day.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived