Starting my first Whole 30

charleyd40

I am really excited to start my first Whole 30 program. I am starting on Sunday, June 2nd, so that I have tomorrow to get my first meals prepared and start to understand how this is all going to work. I figured the first day should be a day when I can dedicated to the day to trying to figure out what I am doing. I am open to anyone which good suggestions for breakfast foods and pre and post work out options. I can find lots of ideas for lunch and dinner, but struggled with breakfast idea.

Hi Charley, welcome!

I find breakfast to be pretty easy but I'm used to eating dinner leftovers for breakfast. I get a mix of fresh pork sausage from the butcher. I make patties for breakfast and just add leftover veggies. Sometimes some avocado, sometimes some sweet potato.

I cook up a big mess of sweet potatoes and several protein sources so that there is always something in the fridge.

I don't eat eggs, but I'd I did, I would make a big Frittata filled with veggies. Enough for several big breakfast slabs. Google it if you've never had it. Or egg scramble with veggies.

Tell us what you like and we can make suggestions!

Today is day 1, so far so good. Decided to give up my coffee this challenge as well. I struggle with breakfast as I work out in the morning so is it breakfast before or after. How about pre and post work out food? As for food likes, I enjoy most food with the exception of squash which I don't know how to cook and the consistency is not a taste that I prefer. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hi Charly

If you don't have a lot of time for breakfast, as I do often, I have a recipe for a breakfast "casserole" that has become a staple for me on the Paleo Diet. I don't have the exact recipe with me right at the moment, but it just uses turkey breakfast sausage (I make my own "sausage" by getting ground turkey and use a list of seasonings that make it taste just like a breakfast sausage), Rotisserie Chicken Breast, 8-10 eggs, and whatever vegetables you want to include.  I use PLENTY of spinach, some kale, red bell peppers and sometimes zucchini.  I make this on a weekend and divide it up into individual servings and I've got breakfast for the entire week.

If I have the time, or just want to cook a breakfast "fresh", Whole Foods has a brand of bacon that is sugar free and actually says on the front "Paleo Friendly". You read the ingredients and there is actually no sugar in it!  Surprised me!  I'll cook 2 - 3 slices of bacon, and then in the fat left in the pan, I'll cook down spinach and kale, then add eggs to that for scrambled eggs. Really filling.

As far as pre workout food, I tend to not eat much at all before working out, especially when I work out in the morning. I will usually have a small piece of fruit, on the advice of my coach, to get a little sugar in my system for some "go juice". Afterwards, I'll then have whatever I decide for breakfast.

Hope this helps

Bruce

Love the idea of the "casserole." Bruce: If you see this - Do you just mix it all in a skillet? Bake it? 

For me it's eggs with a spinach/kale mix over half a sliced avocado; some acceptable bacon or sausage if I've got it on hand. I've been having a little fruit along with it (e.g., some pineapple pieces) just to get me past the "Where's my juice?" phase. I've been working out and then eating; if I were to eat beforehand I'd be ravenous by 10 am and that just won't do! Good luck!

Archived