Cuban Steak and Onions

Johnny M

tumblr_m6tak31FfP1qzwka3o1_1280.jpg

Recently at my butcher I stumbled upon a somewhat unknown cut of beef known as bavette. It's also known as a flap steak which is a cut somewhere between sirloin and flank. It's got a rich beef flavor, subtle marbled layers of fat, and cut against the grain, is very tender. It's good cut thin and caramelized quickly over high heat.

I've been eating a lot of steaks with a side of veggies and wanted to try something new when I remembered a meal I'd often order when visiting a Cuban friend of mine in Miami - basic steak with onions - and I realized it's perfectly whole30 approved! (Minus the adobo seasoning most recipes for this call for which I think has sugar). This is traditionally made with sirloin, flank or skirt, but the bavette was a perfect fit.

Ingredients

• 1 sweet onion sliced thinly
  • couple tablespoons ghee or butter
  • 4 cloves garlic minced
  • 1-2 lb steak (i flattened mine with a mallet)
  • salt, pepper, cumin, paprika
  • 1 lime
  • some cilantro

Directions

• sprinkle salt, pepper, cumin, and paprika all over meat and rub in
  • over medium heat, cook the onions in your fat until slightly softened but still crisp. Set aside
  • add garlic and cook quickly, 30 seconds or so,
  • Increase heat, add more fat if needed, and sear your steak for a minute on each side, then lower heat and continue cooking if needed. I like mine rare so this was pretty quick. Set aside meat when done
  • Juice your lime (1-2 tbsp) into your pan and deglaze
  • Add butter or ghee and cook till slightly thickened
  • Serve steaks topped with onions, sauce from pan, and chopped cilantro

Thanks! And good call on the veggies. I had plantains with this but could use something greener. Last time I had this there was probably rice and beans involved so my next mission will be some sort of cauli rice and beans sub. Cauli rice alone would have been good.

• 1 year later...

Archived