Almost a year since I found the whole 30

Aberrantatavia

Hi All,

It's been almost a year since I found the whole 30 and this great support network that goes with it. I feel like I've had a year of baby steps, but when I look back I realize I've at times leaped...

When I started this last August I was willing to give it a shot for 30 days to see if I could heal some health issues. I have fibromyalgia and sleep was difficult for me. I also have some weight to lose as I'm not as fit as I'd like to be, but this wasn't my primary reason for the whole 30. I was pretty consistently paleo prior to finding the whole 30 so it wasn't a drastic change in some ways.

What I've learned, successes I've had, things I'm still working on:

1. Pure, unrefined food is always healthier. It's what makes your body work right. I've always known this but never practiced it to the degree that I do now.

2. It's ok to focus on one thing at a time. Many times we overwhelm ourselves with trying to do the 25 new things on a healthy lifestyle checklist. Because obviously if we aren't the picture of health and fitness, we are doing everything wrong and must immediately change it. I've fallen into this trap before and have learned that I can take it a step at a time.

3. I sleep now. Every night. All night. I still don't get as much sleep as I should because of my work schedule but I do sleep and I make it a priority as much as possible. This is a big deal since I tried everything under the sun including medications to sleep.

4. I love kombucha and sardines and I don't mind if every meal for 3 days tastes like it has coconut of some kind in it.

5. I don't know if I've lost any weight or inches, but that wasn't my primary goal up till now. I think that is my next step.

6. I'm generally happier and more centered.

7. My hair stopped falling out.

8. My skin, hair and nails are healthy. I don't ever break out, my hair has body and luster, and my nails are stronger.

9. I think clearly and make better overall choices in my life.

10. I rarely drink alcohol anymore. This was a big one for me, I drank a good amount of wine prior to the whole 30. I enjoyed it and didn't want to cut it from my evening routine. I still drink wine, but sparingly, a small glass a couple of times a week. I don't miss it when I forget to buy it. I recently went to a barbecue and drank 3 or 4 glasses and felt awful for 2 days.

11. Riding my own bike has had some ups and downs. Mostly ups, and I've learned from my "mistakes". So I feel a sense of accomplishment in being in a better place today than I was a year ago.

I've been absentee for a few months here as I've been trying to determine what works best for me. I'm finding that there are some non-whole 30 items that benefit my health, so I don't think ill be doing a whole 30 again, at least for awhile. I would like to lurk here more often as I miss the forum and the support. And I still incorporate lots of whole 30 principles into my daily routine.

I finally found a trainer that is working for me. It's a functional training facility and the trainer has a focus on pain management through motion. He's wonderful and I feel like I'm getting stronger. My inflammation is under control for the first time in years. I believe this is a combination of the functional training and anti inflammatory foods.

The next step is to lose fat. I am not sure what adjustments I need to make to do that, but I'm sure that the solution is out there, I just need to find it. I've started journaling everything every day, which is a little tedious, but I think my body's reactions to things will tell me what I need to do differently.

I know I am continuing to practice wellness in all areas of my life. I had my 8 month old and 3 year old granddaughters here for the last couple of weeks and managed to keep up with them. Score for grandma. And a few days before they got here I fell off a chair, backwards over the back of it, and flew through the air and landed on my back. I did not get hurt. By eating the right things and moving in functional ways, your body stays healthy.

I can't wait to see what the next year brings!

Archived