Miranda's Whole30 Log - starting July 22

mloehle

Today, I'm starting a Whole30.  And wow...there's nothing like “before†pictures to get me motivated!

I started Crossfit in January and was introduced to the paleo lifestyle almost immediately after.  Eating paleo, I was finally able to get over the hump in my weight loss, have energy and feel great.  I was eating paleo about 90% of the time, but lately it's slipped to probably 80% and it keeps going down from there.  I thought a Whole30 was just what I needed to kick it back in gear!  Besides that, I am doing a GORUCK Challenge in August and really want to get under 150, so I can carry 4 bricks instead of 6!

Below are my "before" pictures and measurements.  I plan on posting after pictures and measurements as well, but am going to do my best to not weigh myself, take measurements or look at pictures between now and the end.  Not weighing myself is going to be the hardest part!

post-33311-0-87464500-1374500122_thumb.j  post-33311-0-12976300-1374500126_thumb.j  post-33311-0-55045400-1374500119_thumb.j

Weight: 160.5 lbs

Waist (at belly button): 37.5″
Hips: 41″
Right Bicep: 12.5″
Left Bicep: 12″
Right Thigh: 23″
Left Thigh: 23″
Bust: 38″

Day 1 - July 22:

Was up early, went to my Crossfit box, ran 3 miles and then did the WOD.

POST WOD meal: hard boiled egg

Breakfast: three eggs scrambled in bacon fat with smoked salmon and capers

Lunch: Watermelon Gazpacho 

Dinner: chicken stir-fried with mushrooms, onions, peppers, and zucchini.  Salt, pepper, lime juice, basil.  

Unless otherwise noted throughout this log, my drink of choice is water.  I keep a water bottle with me pretty much all the time so keep me from snacking.

I tend to get bored and want to snack on things and I'm trying to avoid that.  I can also tell that I'm going to have a hard time not weighing myself.  I've asked my husband to hide the scale for the next 30 days!

make sure your meals fit to the template - you'll find yourself hungry, with no energy, and generally feeling crappy if you don't, especially if you're trying to fuel workouts as well.

You had no vegetables with breakfast, and no protein at lunch. also there's very little fat with lunch and probably dinner!!

adding some starchy carbs is probably a good idea as well! they're recommended postWO, and having some with other meals usually sees people feeling fuller for longer.

Day 2 - July 23:

I got up early today and didn't feel great.  I don't think it was related to Whole30, as I'm only one day in and I don't normally eat a lot of junk anyway.  I biked to work (5 miles) and put in a long day of 11 hours.  By the time I got home my stomach felt like it was torn up from having to use the bathroom several times during the day.  I was exhausted, so I laid down on the couch with the dogs and took a short nap.  I woke up to my stomach rumbling - I moved to bed and pretty much slept the rest of the night. 

Breakfast: Hardboiled egg

Lunch:  A couple spoonfuls of yesterday leftover gazpacho, but my stomach immediately started rumbling so I put it away.

Lunch Take 2: Small avocaod and hardboiled egg

Dinner: none (I know this is a bad thing, but at this point I just couldn't keep anything in my body very long)

Day 3 - July 24:

I woke up feeling much better so thinking I might have had a 24 hour bug or something.  I'm going to try to have some better meals today as we have a pretty decent WOD tonight and I want to be fueled and ready to go.

Day 3 - July 24:

Woke up feeling better.  Went grocery shopping to bring some things to work to have on hand for meals.  

Breakfast: sweet potato, hard boiled egg, grape tomatoes

Lunch: seared tuna steak, pickled asparagus, cherry tomatoes

Pre-WOD: fistful of almonds

Dinner: thin sliced ham, avocado, celery

After I ate breakfast, my stomach started acting up again - on and off throughout the day. I went to the WOD today and didn't do everything just because I felt so dehydrated from yesterday and today, but worked out as hard as I could.

By 8 pm my stomach issues had appeared to subside, so we'll see...

Day 4 - July 25:

Woke up feeling much better that previous days.  I'm starting to think it might not be a bug and may be a side effect of the Whole30.  Small price to pay for being healthy :)

Breakfast: sweet potato, hard boiled egg, baby carrots, fistful of pistachios

Lunch: shrimpe ceviche, steamed broccoli

Dinner: Mushroom meatballs with easy tomato sauce (Recipe from Everyday Paleo's Paleo Around the World: Italiian Cuisine) - this was a super easy and super yummy recipe and will definitely be added to the rotation of meals both on and off Whole30!

My stomach started acting up again just before bed. 

Day 5 - July 26:

Ugh...didn't get much sleep because I was up several times to use the bathroom.  I don't know if this is a bug, something I ate, or the Whole30, but I sure am ready for it to end!  I woke up tired, but felt okay.

Breakfast: two slices of tomato, topped with two slices of bacon and two poached eggs

(After breakfast I thought I was going to throw up - this was almost a welcome change...but I wasn't able to force it)

Lunch: skipped, as my stomach was still in knots and just the thought of food was making me sick

Late afternoon snack:  snack size bag of baby carrots (surprisingly, these made my stomach calm down some - not totally)

Dinner: Everyday Paleo Thai Green Curry

I know.  What was I thinking?  I have a sensitive stomach right now and I ate green curry?  The meal tasted bland to me (I wanted curry because I was looking for something with flavor).  Bad move on my part.  Not 15 minutes after dinner and my tummy was back at it.  I went for a walk, thinking that would calm it down.  Nope. 

Has anyone had these issues for this long? 

Day 6 - July 27:

I woke feeling refreshed.  I only got up a couple times during the night so maybe I'm getting better.  Either way, I had a lot to accomplish today around the house so I didn't want to risk it with eating breakfast first thing.

Breakfast: skipped - not intentionally, just didn't realize the time until I finished with yardwork at 11:30

Lunch: sweet potato, roast beef, tomatos

Dinner: celery, carrots, guacamole (hardly anything)

The reason for such a small dinner was twofold.  1) my lunch went straight through me. my stomach started rumbling about 5 minutes into it.  2) we were invited to a party and I brought the guac and veggies - these were pretty much the only things that were whole30 compliant on the table.  I didn't eat much though because again, the first carrot and guac and I immediately had to go to the bathroom.

My husband asked me if I was hungry - I'm not hungry except for the fact that I want to eat.  My stomach isn't growling with hunger or anything and to be honest when I think about food, it makes me start to feel ill - just worrying about what's going to happen. If I'm not better by tomorrow, I'm going to make a dr appt, as I just can't keep anything in me...ugh...I want this to end (not the whole30, but the being sick part).

Day 7 - July 28: 

I woke up tired, as I had been up some during the night.  My stomach felt better, but I was leary to be too excited about that until I ate something.

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs with sliced ham

Lunch: banana

So far so good...no stomach issues, no having to run to the bathroom, I think I'm in the free and clear!  It was 5:00 pm and I was HUNGRY! :)

Dinner: lamb burger topped with fried egg and almond butter with a side of sauteed shitake mushrooms and vidalia onions

Half hour later - major stomach cramps.  Most of the evening spent in the bathroom.

Looks like I'm taking a trip to the Dr...

Day 8 - July 29:

Woke up tired.  Exhausted from being up during the night.  Hit the bathroom first thing.  Then the shower, then on to the Dr.

After waiting 30 minutes, the Dr finally came in.  I gave him a list of what I had eaten the last week, how I felt every day and a copy of bloodwork that I had just had done for work.  Told him I've lost 10 lbs in the last week (and yes, I know this because I can't step away from the scale - I also know this because EVERYTHING I have is loose fitting now).  He seemed concerned.  Ordered some more bloodwork and a stool sample.  My bloodwork came back completely normal as did a general "overall" look at me.  I feel fine except for the bouts of diarrhea with a couple little dizzy spells thrown in for good measure.  

He prescribed an anitbiotic for 5 days and if that doesn't help, I need to go back in.  They'll also let me know the results from the stool sample in the next couple of days.

In light of all this, I have decided to end this Whole30.  I have every intention of completing a Whole30 when it's right, but as of right now even though I've been following it as far as what foods are okay and not okay, I haven't been eating 3 meals a day with the right mixes of protein/veggies, etc.  If I do it, I want to do it right and not cheat myself.  I feel bad "quitting" but right now I think it's the right thing to do.  So...I'll be back sometime soon after all this clears up! :)

Archived