Day 23 and the State Fair - Help!

orianaoracle

This Tuesday will be Day 23 for me, and also a rather dreaded trip to the State Fair.  I'm not generally one for pigging out on the junk food at the fair, so that's not my concern.  My concern is being able to find ANYTHING I can eat.  Last year, I did manage to find two vendors that had salads.  But, I'm kind of doubting that any of the meat is grassfed, pastured, etc.  I'm not sure I'll have easy access to our car to be able to go back for food items.

Does anyone have any tips for bringing along some food without having to drag a cooler or something around all day?  It'll probably get pretty warm, but I was thinking of sticking a can or two of tuna/salmon in my bag.  Even though it would be a lot of fish, I suppose I could have a can with lunch and a can with dinner.

I've done such a good job sticking to the plan, and I've only eaten out one day during the 21 days so far.  Thankfully, I was able to choose local restaurants that both offer organic, pastured meat for both meals out.  I really don't want to mess things up now.  I'm too close to Day 30!

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't worry so much about grass-fed at the fair--we're just supposed to do the best we can, and that sometimes means less than optimal, but still compliant. I would think you could find a plain burger, or some grilled chicken without any noncompliant sauces. At our State Fair there are food booths sponsored by different churches, and some of them serve normal, "home cooking" kinds of meals. You could probably have at least something at a place like that. Maybe a pork chop and some broccoli or something. Good luck! Aren't you glad you have an excuse not to try the deep-fried Snickers bar on a stick?  :lol:

I second what the previous poster has said. I think you have to do the best you can and make compliant choices even if they aren't IDEAL. Maybe pack some nuts, a banana, and olives in your bag. None of these things need to be refrigerated and it can get you through in a pinch. 

I managed to survive!  Thankfully, we ate lunch elsewhere at an organic restaurant before we went to the fair.

At the fair, I remembered there was a salad stand that I visited the previous year.  The salads were mostly pre-made with cheese and things I can't have.  The guys were really nice and made me my own with just veggies and one hard-boiled egg.  The lettuce to make new salads was frozen, so instead, they filled up the box with broccoli, grape tomatoes, and celery.  I brought a can of tuna with me and ate that with the veggies.  I also brought a banana and a little packet of raw almond butter, which finished things off well.

I had to basically put blinders on and ignore all the other food stands.  I didn't really find myself craving anything in particular, but more reacting as, "Oh yea, I had caramel corn from there last year..."

We specifically attended yesterday to see a concert that evening at the free fair stage, but we may go again this weekend just to mill around and look at the animals we didn't get to see.  That will be Day 28.  So, still no caramel corn for me!

Thanks for the tips!  :)

Archived