Any yogis out there?

KaySea

I'm starting my 200 hr yoga teacher training this month. I will be on Day 27 when I start, but plan to continue to use the Whole 9 principles after I finish the first 30. We meet once a month with an out of town teacher for the next 6 months. On a training weekend we typically meet Thursday evenings from 7-9. Friday and Saturday will be 8-10, 12-5, and 6-8. Sunday will be 8-10 and 11-4. The two middle days will be the most challenging. Can anyone suggest tactics to fuel myself Whole 30 compliant without feeling too full? I am thinking of pre making some soups and salads to have on hand for the weekend.

The great thing about W30 is the foods can be really energy dense, meaning you shouldn't get too filled up!  I think soups & salads sound perfect, especially something dense like a chicken/mayo salad, not greens/lettuce-based salads.  Then there's nuts, hb eggs, carrots, all kinds of quick go-tos!

I'm a yoga instructor, too, but I just have a quick and easy gym cert.  I love the idea of the full-on 200-hour cert, but whew, 6 months of weekends is a LOT!! 

• 2 weeks later...

I got into yoga about 5 months ago and love it. I'm no where near an instructor level type of yogi, but I know what you mean about not wanting to be full when you practice or are in a workshop. I haven't found any of the 3 daily meals to not be filling yet. If they are going to hold me over I still need that full feeling. What about going with pre and post WO meals instead so it's smaller and less dense? Like tuna mixed w/ peppers and a side of avocado. Although if you are going to be adjusting anyone or getting close you might want to brush your teeth :) I think W30 goes really well with yoga, I am still able to practice when I'm out of energy. I even get more energy during the practice. But going for an 8 mile run on Day 3 or 4...not happening. Good luck with your training and congrats on getting so far into your W30.

• 2 weeks later...

Also remember that the "rules" of no snacking and mini meals are for the W30. Once you're finished you can certainly tweak your meals and/or snacks to meet your needs for your yoga weekends - especially if you do it with the awareness of what you've learned during your W30. Good luck and enjoy the yoga cert!

I've been trying to figure this out as well.   I'm a yoga instructor and either teach or practice several mornings a week.   The rules of eating within an hour of waking up and then eating enough that I don't need a snack later makes it a challenge for what to eat before I go practice in the morning.   I'm either uncomfortable from eating beforehand or starving before lunch because I didn't eat enough.   Today I felt fine but kind of cheated and ate a small meal before and another small meal afterwards.

If I just practice in the evening it works out just fine - I just eat dinner at like 4:30pm and am good to practice by 7pm.   But mornings are tougher, because I'd have to wake up at like 3:30am, and that's not happening...

Archived