Kathiii's "I used to be a vegan" Whole 30

Kathiii

I'm now on Day 7 and cannot believe I have made it this far!  This has been a huge departure for me, after living as a vegan for decades, then moving from that into a junk-food vegetarian.  The hardest part of this for me has been psychological - as eating meat, eggs, and added fat goes against EVERYTHING I was raised to believe was healthy.  I told myself I would give it 30 days and then decide if it was working for me.  So far I'm making it.  

I'm limited in my food choices, as I have to follow a low FODMAP eating style to keep my IBS under control.  I pretty much eat the same thing every day...

B:  2 egg muffins with broccoli and coconut oil

L:  canned salmon with carrot sticks and olives

D:  ground beef or chicken with veggies stir-fried in coconut oil

I feel pretty good so far.  My bloating is down - I was actually able to fit into a pair of shorts that I haven't been able to wear in a very long time.  Yesterday the fatigue hit and I didn't want to do anything.  Then only reason I got exercise in was that I had ridden my bicycle to work and then only way home was to get back on it (I briefly considered spending the night in my classroom!).

Today was the first day I didn't suffer from scale withdrawal.  I put it away in a cupboard when I started and haven't taken it out since, but I keep walking over to the corner of the bathroom where it used to sit and mourn it's loss.  It was apparently a HUGE habit.

So, it's morning - here's to a great Day 7!

What a huge change you've made - I think giving it (at least) 30 days is a great idea. What made you decide to eat meat, as opposed to perhaps just eating a better vegetarian/vegan diet?

With your meals, make sure you're getting sufficient protein - that would be 3-4 eggs worth of muffins at breakfast. Also enough fat at every meal - you may need to add more than cooking fat to dinner especially if you're using lean meat. I'd aim for 2-3 cups of vegies at every meal too :)

If you're exercising, don't forget your pre/postWO meals either - they'll help with refuelling and recovery.

Including starchy carbs (not sure how many carrots you're eating) may help with the fatigue, although feeling like that in the first couple of weeks is normal!

I decided to try meat because after eating an extremely well-designed vegan diet (with appropriate supplementation), I ended up really sick, severely anemic (almost a 0 ferritin reading), high inflammation markers, needed several weeks of iron infusions, two years of B-12 shots, and extreme B-6 supplementation.  That was my first clue that things weren't working the way I'd always been taught to believe.  I tried vegetarianism after that, but still didn't fully regain my health.

Thank you for the suggestions.  I will try an extra egg muffin this morning.  I have been actually adding in an extra handful of olives at meals for the past couple of days for some added fat (PMS - was craving a bit more) and that feels good.  I'm easily eating 2-3 cups of veggies at each meal.  I go through about a pound of carrots each day and another pound of something else at dinner.  

Yesterday I was a little light on my carrots at lunch because we were having lunch in the park and all my co-workers were envious of my carrot sticks, so I shared.  :)

Happily, I started my period yesterday (that's not actually the happy part).  The happy part was that it completely took me by surprise because I've started having intense and sometimes debilitating cramps each month and I've not had a single cramp yet.  I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but I could totally get used to this!

Now I must pack some Day 8 meals.  My dad is having surgery this morning to cut the cancer out of his colon and I know I won't want to leave the hospital until tonight ... I'm sure there is NOTHING in the cafeteria there that I want to eat.

I have not really had any cravings until today.  They are BAD today!!!  I have eaten plenty at each meal so far.  I'm not hungry.  I'm not craving chocolate or rice or anything I used to snack on, but I just want to keep eating.  I have used carbonated water and it is helping.  I think the big problem is that I'm just really tired.  My dad has been in the hospital and just had surgery yesterday, so there's been a lot of sitting around in hospital rooms.  I can't wait until he is out and my life is semi-normal again!  In the meantime, I will just suck it up and stick with the program.  I committed to 30 days and it is only day 9; failure is not an option!

You really have a lot going on in your life right now.  I hope your Dad's surgery and recovery is going well.  The emotional aspects of seeing someone you love in that situation may be a factor in your fatigue and wanting to eat continually.  Stay Strong!

Yep, I'm sure the whole dad thing is what is really fatiguing me.  Today the surgeon will let us know when he can leave the hospital.  I'm hoping it's today.  I need to go back to work tomorrow, and would love to know that he's already home.  

I have been doing well with my eating...I pack a big lunch salad of carrots, salmon or crab and olives or avocado with balsamic vinegar for lunch at the hospital.  That keeps me full until I get home later for dinner.  

I'm stil drinking the carbonated water - I discovered La Croix yesterday.  It kinda makes my stomach puffy (thanks, IBS), so I don't think I want to drink them forever, but they are really helping right now with the continue wanting to eat (although that is getting lesser).  

I saw someone yesterday that I hadn't seen in a while and she said I was "just glowing."  Not bad for my stressed out state!  It's amazing what taking out the processed food can do for the skin!  

Today is Day 11.  I can do this!!!

Your over a third of the way done.  Not only can you do this you are doing it!

Please post and let us know how your Dad is doing and if they release him home.  I hope he is healing fast.

My son's fiancé has been a vegetarian since she was 6 years old.  The rest of her family eats omnivore but her parents honored her choice.  My son is also an omnivore and the two respect each others individual food choices.  From your above posts it sounds like some of your health issues were pretty serious and related to your vegan diet.  If so, do you think all vegetarians (vs Vegans) run into potential issues due to the lack of essential nutrients?  

Archived