Starting Sept 29-Help

NaamiE

I'm starting Sept 29 and I am scared! Help! Long story short I have been dieting for at least 20 years and I am only 30 years old. I am a mom of 3 amazing children and a nursing student...time is not something I have...But I know if I dont pull this by the horns I will wake up one day with diabetes, heart disease, cancer, imobility etc etc etc.  I'd love some tips, advice and encouragement!

TIA

I started a few days ago and its been challenging but going well. I had a conversation with this guy at my local co-op about what I was doing (and thus why I was looking for strange ingredients like ghee) and he gave me 3 pieces of advice. 1. He told me not to look at it like a diet, but as a lifestyle, which is what I am hoping to accomplish by completing a whole30. 2. He also told me a quote from gandhi, which I can remember exactly but it was something to the effect of "being able to master the palate allows you to master your body", which is also something I would like. and 3. he told me to write down the reasons why I am doing this every morning, so I can start my day remembering why I am doing something that is difficult.

I'm also a full-time grad student, so my practical suggestions are to buy some small bottles or jars to keep things like EVOO and coconut milk in when you go to school/work/hospital, and to try to pack meals the night before and put them in the fridge. I also found out that as long as I have an approved salad dressing and some coconut milk for coffee with me I can usually find something acceptable in the cafeteria to hold me over till I get home. I've been able to get salad, whole fruit, almonds, and they happen to offer a "cage free grilled chicken" (which I am still skeptical about).

But yeah, I have basically never eaten "diet" food, I've been a multiple energy drinks, 10 sugars in a coffee, carbs all day, kinda person for most of my life, and somehow I'm making it work. So I know you can do it too!!!

Started today! I'm 80% through the fabulous book! I was worried about a dry read but that is def not the case I had a good many laughs while learning a whole lot! To be honest I'm scared! Actually scared like crazy! But I'm determined! I had 3 eggs and a grapefruit for breakfast, packed celery carrots cucumbers and tuna for lunch. I need to do a grande shopping trip cuz my kitchen is pretty bare but I didn't want that to use that as an excuse to push this off even one more day!

Naami, there is nothing to be scared of!!

Making sure your meals fit the template will give you the greatest benefit and help you feel fantastic :)

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Your breakfast had little to no fat or any vegies, and lunch had no fat. I'd aim for 2-3 cups of vegies per meal, and protein and fat according to the template.

I've been "eating clean" for years then started eating paleo months ago.  But those pesky sugars have crept in again!  I am starting the whole30 today as a reset.  My GOAL this time is to understand WHY I'm making bad choices and to try and slay that sugar dragon for good.  I need to be more in touch with my emotions and the reasons I do so well then start to make bad choices.  I also do crossfit 3x a week in the evening.  For me the most difficult part of planning out my day was figuring out when to do my 3 meals, then planning my pre and post workout meals to not be too close to bedtime.  I think I have it figured out!  I am a teacher and mother of 2, also a military wife with my husband gone a lot.  And yes it is NOT a diet-you are changing what you eat for life.  You will be so much happier and look so much better than most people out there who eat junk all day and are a slave to food.  Love the ghandi quote that's awesome!  Also for me it's No More Excuses!!  Good luck to all you CAN and WILL do it.

Archived