Day 1 - October 22

SarahEM

Good morning! Today is my first day with Whole 30. I've tried to set myself up for success and did all my meal planning this past weekend. The fridge is full with meats and veggies. The problem I'm going to hav eis my husband insists that he still be allowed "normal" food. I told him that he can have whatever he wants while he's at work during the day but when we sit down for dinner only Whole 30 foods will be served.

He agreed. Since I cook anyway what choice does he have? LOL! But this leaves a bit of a problem: he has pretzels, chips and salsa, and bread in the house for his "normal" food. I put it in a seperate cabinet so I don't have to look at it and be tempted.

Here goes 30 days to heatlh!

Good luck to you! I am in the same boat with my partner. Beer, tortilla chips, pretzels, banana chips....fortunately he is off his ice cream kick and doesn't like cookies, which I love. On an almost weekly basis I am faced with take out pizza or good burger on a pretzel bun, too!

Not sure I have great advice, but I just kinda look past that stuff and, knowing there is no snacking on Whole30, I just make sure my meals are large enough that I am not hungry to eat that stuff. It does get easier and I find if I have the stuff when not on a Whole30 I realize it doesn't taste good at all

good luck! same story w/ my partner...he's happy to have whatever I cook for dinner, and If I make extra he takes it for his lunch- however, last night he made himself pasta to add to his leftover meatballs and squash and kale...that's fine, I figure I'll let him "see" what the Whole 30 does for me...and maybe the 2nd go around for another 30 days he'll want to join me, especially since I'll be finishing just before Thanksgiving and he always feels like crap after that holiday from all the eating...my other "plan" is to have healthy snacks on hand (veggies, few nuts) for cravings and keep reading and re-reading It Starts with Food when I'm craving something, reading about what is does to my body often kills the craving in it's tracks!

Let's do it!

Here we go! This is my second Whole 30. My last one was two years ago in October. Apparently around October all of my summer indulgences and poor eating have caught up with me and I'm ready for a reboot before the holidays. Love that we'll be ending a week before Thanksgiving, great time to be on track with good eating habits and strong will power! Stick with everything they say, no cheats, and no paleoizing things, those are key. You WILL feel amazing by the end. The first time around I felt like I had a cold, then I had headaches, but by week 3 I was really noticing a difference in energy, mood, and being able to fall asleep quickly. I love the Whole 30, wish I hadn't waited so long to commit to another round. 

Today is day 6 for me! So far so good but wow... this is a process. Here are just some of my thoughts (forgive me if they're unorganized I'm just free writing):

- The biggest impact this program has had on me so far is making me stop and think. I'm not talking about just stopping and thinking about what I put in my mouth but really making me reflect on my state of being before Whole 30. Examples: kicking my habit of a glass of wine after I put my almost 2 year old to bed each night has been tough! So no I wonder, "Why?" Why is it so hard to just stop having wine? What have I done to my body, and my brain, to think that every night there needs to be a glass of wine? Same thing with sugar! Why is there an internal battle every evening pushing me to the freezer for just a smidgeon of ice cream or a little frosting on a pretzel? Don't worry, I've been winning the battles the past 5, and now going on 6 days, but it's been tough. Why? Have I mismanaged my body so much that I've become dependent on these things? They're clearly lacking any nutritional value so what is the emotional or psychological attachment I have to them? Other than eating cleaning, what adjustments can I make in my life so that my body does not request a glass of wine or a sweet treat? Is the wine to combat the stress of the day? Perhaps! So I'm replacing that with a nice long soak in the tub and a good book. So far it's been a great way to relax after work and play time with my little nugget.

-EAT FOOD!!! I've tried doing "cleanses" and diet "detox" programs before. I've tried taking meal replacement shakes to lose weight, cutting calories to 1,000 a day, drank nasty concoctions of lemon juice, honey, chili powder... Who thinks of these things?! Every time I severely fail. Every time I get so ravenously hungry that I reach for whatever I can regardless of the nutritional value. When I found Whole30 I was coming off a diet program in which I had a shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch, two snacks a day (handful of almonds and a HB egg), and then a healthy/colorful dinner. In the beginning it was great but then reality set in: I NEEDED FOOD!!! After a period of intense dedication I found myself binge eating. I would be super dedicated for a week and then one day I'd meltdown. A meltdown day would look something like this: bowl of cereal on my way out the door (don't worry it gets better), gym (so I don't feel AS be for what I'm about to do), two cream filled doughnuts, a sugary full fat latte, a bag of Swedish fish, a bag of gummy bears, a carton of red vines (please note I mean the ENTIRE thing, not just a small handful), and some sort of cheeseburger and fry combo from a fast food restaurant. Mind you this was before I got home. I couldn't let me husband see me eating like this especially after I had spent hundreds of dollars a month on shakes! So then dinner would be a typical healthy meal.  I'd feel so horrible and guilty inside that I'd want to cry and forced myself back on my diet program the next day. I knew I needed to get off the roller coaster.

With Whole30 I am eating! I'm feeling my body with wonderful, nutritious, and still delicious foods! I still get to exercise my passion for cooking and I don't find myself hungry during the day.  I fight the sugar dragon constantly but so far I am winning that battle. With each day I just smile and know that I'm one step closer to breaking my addiction with sugar.

- Can changes really happen this fast?! I can't remember the last time I slept through the night. I go to bed around 9:30 each night and typically find myself awake around 11:30 and then again for a nice stint around 1:30. Sure, some of this is in part to having a small child in the house and I wake up if she cries. For the most part however she's a great sleeper and my sleeping problems were my own. I've tried everything: no caffeine after 4pm, no hot hot showers or baths within an hour of bedtime, not bringing work to bed, etc… Nothing has worked and I've accepted waking up for periods of time each night just a fact of life. But wait… what happened after day 4? And again last night? Did I actually sleep through the night? I did! The past two nights I have slept through the night and it is AMAZING! Today I actually woke up with my alarm clock at 0430 and had no problems getting out of bed and getting goin (minus the severe cold and wanting to stay in my warm bed). I don't want to get too excited because I know I'm still so early in this but wow! I feel great. Additionally, I had gotten used to “perma bloat†it never went away! I always felt bloated and sluggish. I've already noticed a decrease in the perma bloat. Feeling the differences already make me know that I am doing something good for my body.

Ok… I'll stop with my rambles for now. I think I wrote this all down more for me than anything. Hopefully in the end I can look back and see my growth and further change.

Today is day 7!  Woo Hoo! Yes, the sleep thing has been amazing. I have literally fallen asleep on the couch before bed, which doesn't usually happen. I have slept soundly through the night. My FitBit tracked me at 99% sleep efficiency. I wake up and don't have the "don't want to leave this bed ever" problem that I usually have.  No alcohol over the weekend was great. Got so much done, felt full of energy and no beer on Sunday for football games meant a clear head and feeling great this morning.  Great job to everyone! We are one week in and feeling great and rocking this! Keep going! My body is still feeling achey, I feel like it might be toxins working their way out? I also have female time coming today or tomorrow, and I remember it being rough on the Whole30 but I'm ready. Nothing will make me break and have to start over. Feeling strong!

Today is day 6 for me! So far so good but wow... this is a process. Here are just some of my thoughts (forgive me if they're unorganized I'm just free writing):

- The biggest impact this program has had on me so far is making me stop and think. I'm not talking about just stopping and thinking about what I put in my mouth but really making me reflect on my state of being before Whole 30. Examples: kicking my habit of a glass of wine after I put my almost 2 year old to bed each night has been tough! So no I wonder, "Why?" Why is it so hard to just stop having wine? What have I done to my body, and my brain, to think that every night there needs to be a glass of wine? Same thing with sugar! Why is there an internal battle every evening pushing me to the freezer for just a smidgeon of ice cream or a little frosting on a pretzel? Don't worry, I've been winning the battles the past 5, and now going on 6 days, but it's been tough. Why? Have I mismanaged my body so much that I've become dependent on these things? They're clearly lacking any nutritional value so what is the emotional or psychological attachment I have to them? Other than eating cleaning, what adjustments can I make in my life so that my body does not request a glass of wine or a sweet treat? Is the wine to combat the stress of the day? Perhaps! So I'm replacing that with a nice long soak in the tub and a good book. So far it's been a great way to relax after work and play time with my little nugget.

-EAT FOOD!!! I've tried doing "cleanses" and diet "detox" programs before. I've tried taking meal replacement shakes to lose weight, cutting calories to 1,000 a day, drank nasty concoctions of lemon juice, honey, chili powder... Who thinks of these things?! Every time I severely fail. Every time I get so ravenously hungry that I reach for whatever I can regardless of the nutritional value. When I found Whole30 I was coming off a diet program in which I had a shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch, two snacks a day (handful of almonds and a HB egg), and then a healthy/colorful dinner. In the beginning it was great but then reality set in: I NEEDED FOOD!!! After a period of intense dedication I found myself binge eating. I would be super dedicated for a week and then one day I'd meltdown. A meltdown day would look something like this: bowl of cereal on my way out the door (don't worry it gets better), gym (so I don't feel AS be for what I'm about to do), two cream filled doughnuts, a sugary full fat latte, a bag of Swedish fish, a bag of gummy bears, a carton of red vines (please note I mean the ENTIRE thing, not just a small handful), and some sort of cheeseburger and fry combo from a fast food restaurant. Mind you this was before I got home. I couldn't let me husband see me eating like this especially after I had spent hundreds of dollars a month on shakes! So then dinner would be a typical healthy meal.  I'd feel so horrible and guilty inside that I'd want to cry and forced myself back on my diet program the next day. I knew I needed to get off the roller coaster.

With Whole30 I am eating! I'm feeling my body with wonderful, nutritious, and still delicious foods! I still get to exercise my passion for cooking and I don't find myself hungry during the day.  I fight the sugar dragon constantly but so far I am winning that battle. With each day I just smile and know that I'm one step closer to breaking my addiction with sugar.

- Can changes really happen this fast?! I can't remember the last time I slept through the night. I go to bed around 9:30 each night and typically find myself awake around 11:30 and then again for a nice stint around 1:30. Sure, some of this is in part to having a small child in the house and I wake up if she cries. For the most part however she's a great sleeper and my sleeping problems were my own. I've tried everything: no caffeine after 4pm, no hot hot showers or baths within an hour of bedtime, not bringing work to bed, etc… Nothing has worked and I've accepted waking up for periods of time each night just a fact of life. But wait… what happened after day 4? And again last night? Did I actually sleep through the night? I did! The past two nights I have slept through the night and it is AMAZING! Today I actually woke up with my alarm clock at 0430 and had no problems getting out of bed and getting goin (minus the severe cold and wanting to stay in my warm bed). I don't want to get too excited because I know I'm still so early in this but wow! I feel great. Additionally, I had gotten used to “perma bloat†it never went away! I always felt bloated and sluggish. I've already noticed a decrease in the perma bloat. Feeling the differences already make me know that I am doing something good for my body.

Ok… I'll stop with my rambles for now. I think I wrote this all down more for me than anything. Hopefully in the end I can look back and see my growth and further change.

SarahEM~ good job w/ the wine at night...I wondered thoses same things, I made it such a regular part of my day at one point when I lived w/ a friend who drank...then when I moved in w/ someone who didn't I didn't really have it...hummmm, curious...am I really making a "choice" or not, similar story w/ junk food around the house.

Also, like you I've done a gazillion cleanses, fasts, diets...some for myself, and some for research (I was a personal trainer for 10+ years and always wanted to have first hand knowlege what my clients were doing) and I was always HUNGRY, insanly hungry! How nice to have found something that is sustainable....especially at an 80/20 ratio after the Whole30 (or 60 in my case...after a few days off for Thanksgiving, I think it will take another 30 to get these principles in my brain as habits...)

Ok, well happy DAY #8, glad you're on track and not cheating yourself out of a hard earned day-lol

be well!

Today is my day 9! Almost 1/3 of the way down! Last night I experienced the weirdest dream ever:

- I felt like I was bloated and just overall sluggish internally so I went to some sort of holistic doctor. The doctor recommended that we take a look at what was happening in my intestines. Suddenly we're going through something like in that old cartoon the Magic School Bus, and we unload in my intestinal track. We're walking around in this puffy pinkish tube while the doctor makes quiet, "hmmm... haaaaa" as he looks and pokes thing. We turn a corner and there is a guy dressed like a king (not the full deal, more like what oyu'd see in a cheap play) surrounded by a group of followers (entourage I pressume). He has a huge fancy cup filled with booze and is tripping all over the place spilling his beverage. His followers just laugh and kind of hold him up while they continue to consume whatever is in their cups. The doctor then says, "There's the problem! The King is holding court in your intestine!"

Then I woke up. What the heck?!!! I've heard about people dreaming of food while on Whole30 but of kings in their intestines? Too weird.

Hooray for day 9 and weird dreams. I love deep sleep! :)  I worked out for the first time since starting, yesterday, and wow, I had a ton of extra energy, felt really strong too, like the weights were lighter. Love it. Feeling really happy and haven't been tempted by anything and cravings have been almost nil, not sure why, but I'll take it!  Luckily we don't get trick-or-treaters (but watch we probably will this year since we have zero candy in the house) so tomorrow should be really easy.  The best is yet to come out of the 30 days, can't wait to make it all the way through! Go October 22'ers go! :)

Hello my fellow 22 OCT Starters!

Made it through Halloween but I will say: it was tough!!! I know they're just tiny bits of candy but for some reason they're soooo good!!!

How did the rest of us fair?

Because I'm horrible at tracking days, and too lazy to go find a calender to count the days, I'm not quite sure where we are but I'm thinking Day 15? Does that sound right? I just noticed that the day I started this is also the day I married my first husband... We were young, stupid, and rushed into it. What an odd date to pick to start a new life for myself 10 years later!

Still feeling great and loving the sleep I am getting! For me that has been the best part of it all! I haven't stepped on a scale but I know I'm almost to the point where I need to get new slacks for work. They have a "droppy butt" now since I'm not filling them out as much. Definitely not complaining!

I had a proud moment this weekend when I was steaming myself some broccoli to go with my breakfast. My toddler was sitting in her chair eating her cereal and banana and asked that she have some broccoli too for breakfast. GO EMMA!!!

I've really been enjoying finding new recipes to make that are Whole 30 compliant. My husband is happy because every night we are having something new. Tonight we are having a take on Indian chicken curry and tomorrow we're having jerk ribs cooked all day inthe crock pot. Mmmm... how can you stray from a program that lets you eat such wonderful things?!

I did have a bit of acheat, although I'm not beating myself up for it. We went to a party on Friday where there were foods galore. I planned ahead and brought guacomole with cucumber slices to share. I nibbled on a few of those with some sparkling water during the party. So still coppmlaint except that it was after my dinner so technically a snack I suppose. But I knew if I showed up and didn't have anything to munch on I would've fallen victim to one of the tasty dishes they had present.

Last thought - went to a ballett last night and it was my first time going to the theater and not having a glass of champagne during intermission. I stayed in my seat during the intermission so I wouldn't be tempted with the snack/drink table.

One day at a time, one step at a time.

Huzzah for Day 14! Congrats to all of us October 22 starters for making it this far. 2 weeks? Feels like it has been longer than that, and shorter than that, depending on the day. Congrats for making it through Halloween, luckily I didn't have any temptations and no trick-or-treaters, phew

I hosted a party on Friday night and 80% of the apps were Whole30 compliant so that part was easy. Everyone loved the Whole30 apps too. Not having anything to drink wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Another challenge was my first Seahawks game on the Whole30. We have season tickets and a beer before the game and beer(s) at the stadium are standard, but I did without. There wasn't much that would have been compliant at the stadium, although they did have fresh veggie and salad packs at one stand and I thought that was awesome

Feeling good and thought I had a cold coming on Saturday (it has really been going around), but I think due to all the nutrients in my body I fought it off by just resting for the day. Go nutrients! :) Go real food! And Go Day 14-ers!

Two weeks, down two more to go! We got this!

AHH! You went to a game? Good for you! I want to go to a Redskins game so bad but I just know I'll fall victim to a steaming hotdog and beer. Ok I can't even type that because it sounds so good.

AHH!

How's your plan going so far? I got the Well Fed 2 cookbook and have now made a whopping two meals from it. So yummy!!

This week I've been running crazy and I've had a hard timme getting my breakfast prepped. Still staying copliant but I need to carve out some time tonight to make a fritata or something that is to grab and go.

I used the money I would have spent on beers and food at the game and bought some new swag instead, winning!

Going great so far! I ordered ISWF and Well Fed2 and they'll be here tomorrow so I will have some reading and recipes to try.

For breakfast I have been making an egg bake at the start of each week, and portioning out slices to go. This week was eggs, coconut milk, ground turkey, mushrooms and asparagus. I just throw in whatever I had around and bake it. It's definitely getting easier to do meals with practice. Still need to get used to not being able to grab lunch easily around here. I work in the International District and that Thai food is tempting. Luckily my cravings are pretty much done, love that.

Keep on keeping on everyone! Day 16 - that means we are on the DOWN SLOPE! Love it!

Heck yes onthe new swag! What a great way to spend your saved money!

Well Fed 2 is amazing! I have ribs slathered in jerk seasoning sitting in the crock pot I home. I can't wait to get home and smell all the yumminess!

How many eggs and how much coconut milk do you use? I need to try that!

Oooh if you're craving Thai make the THai Basil Beef from Well Fed 2. It is so delicious and pretty comparable to what you'd find in a restaurant.

Had a big reminder on the importance of proper eating times last night: I've been sleeping like a baby sicne about day 4 of this program.  I used to go to bed at 10pm (I wake up at 430am) but have been falling asleep closer to 9pm each night since starting this. Last night I went out to dinner with some friends. I had already called ahead and made sure there were some compliant things I could order so I didn't have to delay the ordering process.  We didn't sit down to eat until 730 and didn't actually eat until closer to 820pm. I finally got home and in bed around 1020pm and fell asleep rather quickly. Sadly I was up multiple times thorughout the night. The only thing I coudl think of is that my body has been used to breaking down food earlier inthe evening and now suddnely I shoved a big steak in my belly right before bed! Needless to say I'm looking forward to eating at my normal dinner time of 6pm tonight and going to bed by 9pm.

We are almost there! We can do this!!!

I use 8-10 eggs for a 9x12 pan. I beat the coconut milk into the eggs, about a cup or so. and then pour that over whatever meat and veggies I have put in the pan.

Looking forward to trying the Well Fed 2 recipes. Thai Basil beef it is! Everything looks pretty darn easy to make too, love that.

The eating time makes sense, that's interesting. I am definitely falling asleep earlier and sleeping more soundly.

My jeans are fitting awesome today, whoot!  There are colds going around the office, round 2 is passing though now. I felt a little congested last week but never got full-on sick. I really think it's due to not having any junk in my system. Before I was always the first one to get the sickness.

Day 17! Oh yeah, only 13 to go! (excited to make it through, even though I don't want to stop after 30!)

Happy Day 22! Our countdown is now in the single digits!  Wahoo!

Oh man, what a weekend I had. I went home and visited my parents and sister. Saturday night was pizzas cooked in their pizza over, homemade chocolate chip cookies, and other goodies. The force is strong with this one.

Sunday morning brought doughnuts. (I could seriously stab a bitch for bringing those over.) That maple bar smell is so powerful. I get stomach aches from eating doughnuts, but the sweet taste is so ingrained in my mind as being a pleasure punch that I want them badly. I totally overcame it though.  Had to cover them with a paper towel so they weren't staring me down! Went to the movies and wanted popcorn but held out, yay! The only thing I could drink was plain water Booo to the movie theatre for not even having unsweetened iced tea.

Good luck this week everyone! Our last full week. I am definitely feeling amazing. My jeans were fitting like champs again this weekend, love it.

jodbacardi,

NICE JOB! I don't think I could have resisited all that you did! Amazing! I haven't had that kind of test yet.

One day just after the first week my bf brought home a german choc cake, poor guy- i just looked at him w/ it in my hand. all he said was "too soon?" so It went to the car for the night and then to the office, and other than making a frozen pizza for my nephew (which looked terrible btw) and random carbs I don't like anyway (white bread, pasta, etc) I haven't had anything in the house, so I'm lucky!

I did take some of the carmalized coconut chips (from Well Fed) to the movies when I went...I know it's snacking, but better than caving and diving face first into butter popcorn. And I brought my own lemon water-saving $$ and being healthy:)

Good Job!

Hey Day 28 Friends!

How did everyone do this weekend?  I think we're all ladies here so ugh, lady issues, started 8 days early, and I am on BC. What the? Weird but read that your hormones can seriously change.

Went to another Seahawks game and a concert, stuck to my water/coffee/soda water w/lime trifecta. Now have a head cold which is no fun but I really feel like it would be worse if I were eating unhealthy foods. Looking forward to a strong finish.

Spending a weekend away at a cabin this weekend, already planning my paleo meals to bring to share with everyone. Using the Whole30 as a jumpstart to a new way of eating. Already looking at what to bring to Thanksgiving that will be healthy to share!

Congrats on Day 28 gals!  This has been a great journey!

Mmmm... Just reading about a doughnut is making me think of the sweet gooey...

STOP *slaps self*

You have much better self control than I do!

I can't believe we are on day 28!!! I have to admit... I cheated. I know I know :( I stepped on a scale! I was trying to wait until the end but I just couldn't resist. The results?! Down 8 pounds! Wooo hooo!!! But again the best part is my improved sleep.

I think I'm going to start doing this once a quarter. It's been a great journey and has really made me think about my eating habits.

We are almost there you guys!!!

Today is our last day!!! WOO HOOO!!! I'm am so proud of us!

What are you going to do after whole 30? For the most part I plan to continue eating the same however I will allow myself a glass of wine here and there. But in all honesty, by the end of this, I've enjoyed everything I've had to eat and once you make the changes it reall yisn't that big of a deal. The first two weeks were rough trying to cut out the sweets, cheses, and wine. But all in all it's been great.

I think for me the key to success has been cooking yummy, flavorful food for dinner and then having a enough for left overs the next day. Breakfast was typically some mix of eggs, sweet potatos and steamed broccoli. I didn't get into eating chicken for breakfast... call me odd but I enjoy a more traditional breakfast. But the eggs still provided my protein and fat needs.

I think once a quarter I'll go through the process of going Whole 30 by the book.

Congrats ladies!

Cannot breathe due to head cold, but gosh darn it, it's time to shout! WE DID IT! Congratulations everyone!  Happy to continue eating this way with a designated once per month free day if I want it. I decided to make it the 16th of each month (my birth date!) We will see if that works. I can't do sugar anymore or breads because those take me down a slippery slope, that much I know. Here's to sticking with this new healthy way of eating, congrats everyone!

We did it! Whoo Hoooo!

Archived