Any other Paramedics or Firefighters who work long shifts doing this would love to swap ideas?

FLYmedic

Hello I am a paramedic in a busy city 911 system and work 48 hours straight with 96 hours off. I'm on day 5 of W30 and all is going good so far. We cook meals together at the station at work and my partner and co workers are very supportive and like the meals I have made so far. My partner at work even decided to do W30 as well.  I did notice that while on shift I may need to eat 4 meals especially when we have those shifts where we are really busy and running hard late into the evening.

Im not eating between meals as suggested however at work I can't control when we may be able to eat on a regular schedule. Any ideas for those shifts when you are caught running back to back calls and keep trying to get back to the station to make dinner and keep getting toned out then finally 7 hours later we get back at the station but feeling famished (happened this shift). I am going trying to keep some W30 type snacks for when this happens again in my pack in on the ambulance. Any ideas would be great?? Thanks

Wow - that sounds like a tough gig!

Are you able to take a cooler bag with you when you're out? You could take HB eggs, cold meats - like baked chicken drumsticks or crumbed pieces, compliant hot dogs, meatball, compliant tinned fish, beef jerky etc for protein or pieces of Frittata or egg muffins. Vegie sticks, with mayo or avo based dips...

Instead of a "meal" that would need reheating, quick things to grab (more finger food) might make it easier for you when you are out for extended periods.

Hi, I am a full time Intensive Care Paramedic in New South Wales Australia. Can be tough on nights when your partner or other crews stop off at McDonalds, you feel tempted to jump right in and eat crap. Or I do sometimes. My solution is to eat extra meals, and snack ( I know snacking is a no-no),but I believe you need extra calories during a night shift. I carry grass fed beef jerky, nuts, dates, dried fruit and tinned red salmon. All those can be gobbled down with bottled or filtered water quickly. Let me know what works for you, I am keen to learn too. i find the more you eat paeo, the less hungry you get on night shift.

Cheers

Francsois

Thank you All I appreciate the ideas and would love to share more. It true that it an be difficult while on shift. Luckily my partner at work is doing W30 with me so that helps. I have Celia's disease and have never been able to eat what they cook up at the firehouse anyway. Francsois I agree about eating more meals and snacks throughout the shift. I just got off a 48 hr shift this morning that was heavily busy. Having the extra snacks like beef jerky, nuts, dates really helped me and my partner make it through the shift. It's an environment that we obviously can't control when we get to eat. I do notice how I am a lot more thirsty and having a water bottle close by helps too. My partner and I are taking turns planning and cooking meals. We find if we do most of the preparation prior to shift like chopping veggies, meat etc it helps make the actual cooking of the meal go much faster. We also find premaking a couple of meals so we only need to warm them up helps to for the busy shift when you are exhausted. I would love to continue to share ideas

Archived