Illness advice

Hi

I hope someone can help with some advice.

I am supposed to be running my first marathon this Sunday, 3rd November. All my training has gone well, including a Whole30 programme during September which I think has helped me immensely. Now however, after 4 months of injury and illness-free training, I am sick.

I have had catarrh for about two weeks, mainly in the throat, and suffered a painful throat infection for a few days that went away without medication. I also had the usual symptoms of a cold which seemed to be clearing up. Then, after an 8-hour car trip on Saturday, I have developed an earache, probably from the build up of air pressure, that is also giving me a blasting head ache and the catarrh is back. With six days to go, I´m reluctant to pop Ibuprofen or take medication, especially as I don´t normally do this.

I´m trying steam to clear the mucos, and lemon, honey and cayenne pepper drinks for general well-being. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be enormously grateful, thank you.

I had a horrible head cold during my first W30. I joked that it was easy to give up my favorite foods because I couldn't smell or taste anything and didn't really feel like eating.

I did take a decongestant, Sudafed PE (doesn't have the nasty ingredient in it that they use to make meth) and tylenol. In my experience, there isn't a lot you can do but treat the symptoms and wait for it to clear. Mine too about 14 days. I also sleep with a vaporizer or humidifier as dry air (from heat or air conditioning) tend to exacerbate the problems.

Thanks for replying! Part of the problem from the last two weeks has been the strongly air-conditioned offices I work in (the heat in Alicante is pretty consistent)...so I´m glad I took a week off to rest. I´ve also just bought an organic, whole chicken which has just started to slow boil in my kitchen...I´m sure that´ll do me good as well.

Archived