Starting Today November 6.

jesag07

Hi!  I started yesterday; woke up in the middle of the night from hunger...still nursing a baby, so it was hard to get back to sleep without eating anything and chose a handful of cashews...seemed to help!  I probably need to increase my portions, but it's hard to do, as it's a 180 from the way I was eating (re: sugar & carbs anyway)!  Must research some more recipes...my breakfast this morning was tasteless & I had to choke it down:-(  Hard to not add any sugar!  Thankful for Pinterest;-)

Hi!  I started yesterday; woke up in the middle of the night from hunger...still nursing a baby, so it was hard to get back to sleep without eating anything and chose a handful of cashews...seemed to help!  I probably need to increase my portions, but it's hard to do, as it's a 180 from the way I was eating (re: sugar & carbs anyway)!  Must research some more recipes...my breakfast this morning was tasteless & I had to choke it down:-(  Hard to not add any sugar!  Thankful for Pinterest;-)

I'm in no place to advise just yet, but I hear ya on the midnight hunger dragon. I get that a lot when I'm training really hard. I'm glad you ate! I'm thinking more protein and fat in your dinner meal to keep you through the night. Especially with nursing. My breaky this morning was 3 eggs, scrambled and topped with spinach, home made salsa, and avocado and LOTS of salt. :) Some grapes too. Keep us posted!

Hi! I started yesterday; woke up in the middle of the night from hunger...still nursing a baby, so it was hard to get back to sleep without eating anything and chose a handful of cashews...seemed to help! I probably need to increase my portions, but it's hard to do, as it's a 180 from the way I was eating (re: sugar & carbs anyway)! Must research some more recipes...my breakfast this morning was tasteless & I had to choke it down:-( Hard to not add any sugar! Thankful for Pinterest;-)

I'm struggling to work out what you could have had for breakfast that would have been improved with sugar!!

If you're feeding, you should be having 4-5 meals to provide your body and your baby with enough calories and nutrients. Make all of these meals proper template meals with protein, fat and vegies. Include starchy vegies in your vegie intake.

Last night was better; no starving in the middle of the night; I think I'm getting it down, but need to continue researching recipes and trying new foods:-)  My bfast that would have been improved w/sugar was a take on oatmeal I found that used egg whites, flax seed, coconut milk, etc...came out as a tasteless porridge.  This morning's was much better; 3 poached eggs, sauteed mushrooms, some tomatos, and an apple:-)

Hi gang! Nice to find other travellers on this timeline. I did a W30 back in June, but like the OP said, there's just "always something" so I might as well just go ahead and do it already. I've made it through a very stressful fall with school and midterms (studying to be a midwife), and my kids birthdays and Hallowe'en, and travelling for a week to a conference in another city and and and... I feel like crap. There's no reason to keep choosing to feel like crap when feeling like unstoppable energy is way better. So here it goes. I'm with you all in spirit and will!

Hi gang! Nice to find other travellers on this timeline. I did a W30 back in June, but like the OP said, there's just "always something" so I might as well just go ahead and do it already. I've made it through a very stressful fall with school and midterms (studying to be a midwife), and my kids birthdays and Hallowe'en, and travelling for a week to a conference in another city and and and... I feel like crap. There's no reason to keep choosing to feel like crap when feeling like unstoppable energy is way better. So here it goes. I'm with you all in spirit and will!

Welcome and super yea on the midwifery! Unstoppable energy, sounds exciting. I'm on day 2 here, so that also seems like a 5 legged purple dragon...impossible!!! 

I am technically on Day 2 I realize. Man, travelling for a week really throws a gal off. I cannot seem to get my head engaged in my studies (physiological adaptations to pregnancy, anyone?) so I'm hoping that by cutting out the junk my focus will be more inclined to return. It has to - finals are coming up soon. 

I am finding this time around much easier than last time. Everything was so new and intense and Full Of Meaning. I journalled my heart out. This just feels like returning to what I once knew really well. I am happy to report that yesterday was fine and today has a bright light as well, so I'll just keep following it and reminding myself that "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can" (to quote one darling little blue engine). 

Hope you're all chugging along well too!

Last night was better; no starving in the middle of the night; I think I'm getting it down, but need to continue researching recipes and trying new foods:-) My bfast that would have been improved w/sugar was a take on oatmeal I found that used egg whites, flax seed, coconut milk, etc...came out as a tasteless porridge. This morning's was much better; 3 poached eggs, sauteed mushrooms, some tomatos, and an apple:-)

Your tasteless breakfast doesn't sound like it fit the template - this mornings was better! ( don't forget the fat though!)

Remember to make every meal fit the template with a sufficient amount of protein and fat, and 2-3 cups of vegies:

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

I know!  Felt like I was chastised...hopefully PEOPLE know I'm just doing my best and LEARNING along the way...this is a huge overhaul from the way I've eaten for almost 30 years, not that I was a fast food addict beforehand or anything.  Moderator (or someone else) can you provide any tips for how to eat through feeling queasy during the different breakfasts?  I used to eat cereal, waffles, sugary types of things everyday, so meat, eggs, & veggies are a far cry from that (hence my googling Whole 30/Paleo approved alternatives).  For example my breakfast this am is sweet potato hash (I'm not a sweet potato fan, but I'M TRYING!), pork sausage, and egg muffins, cooked in clarified butter...and I'm fighting to eat through it, as it's not really enjoyable...I've never eaten so many veggies in my life BTW!!  Remember I'm a nursing mama, so I NEED to eat enough to keep my supply up!

Hey ghorke! It's okay mama, we're gonna get through this! What about hunting down some coconut flakes?? The unsweetened kind. That's a fat and might add a different texture and crunch to your morning. Put them in a little bowl on the side. Also, fruit salad is your friend. A few different kinds of fruits mixed together. You might sneak some coconut into that fruit salad! I think you are getting into the "ANGRY" phase too, so be kind to yourself and keep on keeping on! Fake it till ya make it!! You got this, I'm here for ya!

goSonja, you're right; I just got a little offended that it seemed someone was implying I wasn't doing this right & I'm trying really hard.  I apologize!  The written word can come across differently than intended to.

On another note, is anyone sleeping worse then before they started?  I know I'm getting up to feed little miss, but I can't get back to sleep easily...will this pass?

I haven't found any unsweetened coconut flakes yet...I'm not really a coconut fan, but am willing to give it a try!

I apologise if you were offended - that wasn't my intention!

Sticking to the template is really your best answer to getting the most benefit out of your whole 30 though. That involves eating protein, fat and vegies at every meal (4-5 if you're nursing), and not trying to make compliant alternatives of your old choices.

Have you tried cauliflower rice or mash, zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash? They may be options to add to your meals and get more vegies in.

What vegies do you like...what textures do you like? If you like light and fresh, try salads or raw vegies, if you like roasted vegies, do up big trays of mixed vegies and have them ready for a few days. If you want steamed vegies, try to not kill them - too soft and squishy is horrid!

Consider cooking meals with the vegies incorporated, like soup, stews, curries etc. you may still need to add extra but it's a good start.

If you haven't, mayo is a delicious and easy way to get in lots of fat. Making your own is easy, and is a good addition to practically any meal. Sweet potato chips dipped in mayo, omelette with mayo, roast vegies with mayo, salad with mayo etc :)

Thanks for the tips!  Breakfast was still hard (eggs, mushrooms, pork sausage, fruit), but I'm hoping it'll get easier.  You know that part is much harder (at the moment) than avoiding the carb/sugar cravings...surprisingly that's the easiest part!  Sonja was right, I was probably a bit irritable the other day; being further along in the program & I rocked 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep last night (which is the most I've had since June 23rd...) thanks to the hubs does wonders!!

Thanks for the tips!  Breakfast was still hard (eggs, mushrooms, pork sausage, fruit), but I'm hoping it'll get easier.  You know that part is much harder (at the moment) than avoiding the carb/sugar cravings...surprisingly that's the easiest part!  Sonja was right, I was probably a bit irritable the other day; being further along in the program & I rocked 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep last night (which is the most I've had since June 23rd...) thanks to the hubs does wonders!!

are you eating starchy vegie carbs? you'll need them for energy, particularly if you're nursing. sweet potato seems to be the most popular, but you could also add butternut squash, parsnip, beetroot, pumpkin, carrot, turnip etc. adding some of those every day may help with any carb/sugar cravings you have, as well as helping with mood and general wellbeing :)

Another full night's sleep (4:30am wake up call); finally starting to feel more energized & clear headed and no more headaches (fingers crossed).  Had a couple of food dreams lately too!  Don't miss sugar (most of the time).  Knowing that cravings last only a couple of minutes helps!!  I tend to try & distract myself:-)  How's everyone else doing today??

I'm having a tougher time today. Parent teacher conference and a big meeting with Childrens hospital has my stress levels up. Add to that packing for Ironman and my final workouts. It's really the hospital stuff. Just nervous about it and already sick to my stomach after her parent teacher conference. Just ate "lunch" at 10:30 and have been making it until noon. Headache today too.

Deep breaths...

Archived