Starting my first Whole 30 - January 6

karen_s642

I've decided to start my first Whole 30, today!

Last June I started trying to follow a more Paleo(ish) diet, and I loved it. I found myself feeling better and losing weight and it was great! Then... the holidays hit. My birthday is December 15, then the work Christmas parties started, followed by a week at my parents house and then New Years Eve. A month like that doesn't even just qualify as "falling off the wagon". I fell off the wagon and then got run over by it! And then dragged 20 feet... and then.. well, you get the point.

So now it's January. And as much as I hate being one of those resolution-ers, it's time to start fresh and get back to some healthy ways. I've heard a lot about the whole 30 and figured it would be a great way to sort of press the reset button and get back on track.

I decided yesterday that today would be a great day to start. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to grocery shop yesterday so today's food has been a little minimal.. Luckily had some free-range eggs and some "country naturals" bacon which seems to have decent ingredients (anyone know anything about this? am I being tricked?) so that was an ok start to the day! Lunch at the cafeteria consisted of a big salad with lots of veggies with olive oil and balsamic vinegar as the dressing. Now it's off to the grocery store for some actual food!

I'm excited about starting this but pretty nervous. I followed the general Paleo rules previously, but allowed occasional indulgences and some alcohol here and there.. so this will be a bit of a change, to try to be this strict with myself. My biggest challenge will be this weekend as I'm going out of town for a friend's birthday. The travel will be tough enough (always looking for tips on this!) but then the hotel and the bar are going to be reaaaaaaaally tough. I figure if I offer to drive, people will be a little more appreciative of my lack of drinking, but I know it's going to be a battle. Plus, being the sober one at a bar with a bunch of drunks is never my idea of a great time... but I'm determined to try to do this.

My partner, however, is not. She is somewhat supportive of me... I say somewhat because she is on board for eating healthier and taking care of our bodies.. but is not thrilled about the idea of never allowing any exceptions to the rules. I told her its only for 30 days.. but.. well, it's her best friend's birthday this weekend that we're going away for and it's almost as if I'm insulting her by saying I won't be drinking! As if I'm being the party pooper. Sigh.

Anyway, I'm excited to see how this goes and I'm really going to do my best to not slip. Here we go!

I decided yesterday that today would be a great day to start. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to grocery shop yesterday so today's food has been a little minimal.. Luckily had some free-range eggs and some "country naturals" bacon which seems to have decent ingredients (anyone know anything about this? am I being tricked?) so that was an ok start to the day! Lunch at the cafeteria consisted of a big salad with lots of veggies with olive oil and balsamic vinegar as the dressing. Now it's off to the grocery store for some actual food!

On the bacon, check the ingredients on the label and be sure it doesn't contain sugar, sweeteners or other nasties.

After you make your grocery store trip, be sure all your future meals each fit the meal template: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Thanks for the tip!

2 days down, 28 to go!

So far it's been going really well! I've been eating some delicious meals and it feels awesome. The biggest battle I have right now is that I always crave something sweet after a meal. Typically I would have some fruit or a piece of dark chocolate to cure it.. But I'm trying to get myself out of this habit so going for a big glass of water instead!

Archived