Day 12 chronic heartburn is this normal

joybedford

Hi I am on day 12 of the whole 30. I have suffered from oesophagitis and reflux my whole life so this is nothing new for me but I thought whole 30 would have helped it. Usually if I eat healthily I don't get it but the past 4 days have been truly awful. I don't want to take my lanzoprazole as I want to stay med free throughout whole 30. I am wondering if this is just a whole 30 side effect that will settle down. My other thought is that it could be that my diet is higher fat than usual or perhaps the coconut milk I am having in coffee. Any thoughts.

First, I would suggest taking the medication if you need it.  Medication trumps Whole30.

Second, you might try the NOW brand digestive enzymes, recommended here on the forums.  They help with digestion, which may make a difference with reflux.  It's not a direct link, though, so I'd get myself some relief from the medication too.  Don't expect to drop medications from a long-time condition after a short time on a Whole30.  I was able to drop several medications after about six months of Whole30 eating (none of them relate to reflux, so you may find a quicker improvement than I did).  At first, I just noticed that Whole30 helped me get the full benefit of my medications.  That was pretty great.

Sending relief vibes your way!

Thanks for your reply, I rarely need medication if I eat well that's why I am surprised I am suffering right now as I am eating really well. Yesterday wasn't so bad but today is awful I feel really nauseous too. I have had a rough weekend shift work and little sleep and feel terrible today. I have taken digestive enzymes and my lansoprazole. I was avoiding my usual meds as they contain sucrose but today I am in too much pain. Hope it improves soon.

Archived