New Whole 30 starter

Andrea Hill

Welcome! I live alone and just cook for myself as well. Here's what works for me.

- I generally make full recipes of everything and eat off the leftovers. This is awesome because I cook a lot of stuff on the weekends and then mostly just reheat during the week. This works because usually I don't mind eating the same breakfasts, lunches and dinners for a week. :)

- There are times I scale down - for example, if a slow cooker recipe calls for a 3-4lb chunk of meat and I've never made the recipe before, I usually will just get two pounds of meat. If I've made it before and know I'll like it, I might make the whole thing and freeze half. To be honest, it mostly depends on how much I want to spend on meat that week!

- Weekly cookups are AWESOME. It's a chunk of work, but afterward you have most of your food for the week, plus you're not starving and trying to make dinner every night. This is how Melissa Joulwan (a popular Paleo blogger/cookbook author, if you haven't read her blog) approaches it to make sure she can get some variety during the week. I don't need that much variety - I'd rather have everything as ready to go as possible - so I don't approach it quite the same way, but it's a great place to get started whichever way you go. In addition to making full recipes of proteins and some vegetables (mashed cauliflower), I prep vegetables (shred or roast sweet potato for hashes, slice peppers to have raw, etc) and make sure I have mayo and ghee for the week.

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/01/14/paleo-kitchen-the-method-behind-my-madness/

- Keep it SIMPLE. When I first started eating this way, I got way too overzealous about new recipes, which will only overwhelm you if you're a new cook. After my Whole30 last summer, I've kept eating this way, but now I keep it to one or two new recipes a week, and the rest either simple go-tos (like burgers or a quick baked frittata) or recipes I've made a lot of times by this point. It's hard at first but it does get easier!

There are tons of Paleo cookbooks and blogs out there, but my two favorite authors (and ones you'll see recommended a lot here) are Melissa Joulwan, who I mentioned above, and Michelle Tam of nomnompaleo.com. Those two ladies both create delicious dishes that make me prefer eating what I cook to getting takeout any day (and I never thought I'd say that)! Some recipes can be complex, but they both do a great job of explaining the steps. A lot of their recipes are on their blogs, but all three cookbooks are WELL worth the price.

Melissa: www.theclothesmakethegirl.com, Well FedWell Fed 2

Michelle: www.nomnompaleo.com, Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans

Archived