Araket's First Whole 30

Araket

I just finished reading the book last night. I'm a pretty picky eater (in a bad way), so I was surprised that a lot of the recipes near the end actually seemed like something I wouldn't mind eating.

DAY 1

This weekend, I dug out my slow cooker (that I've never used) and tried making some fajita veggies. I followed the recipe exactly and used ample spices, but they came out tasteless and disappointing, even though they smelled great. I'm not sure if it's my crock pot or my spices, or what.

The veggies were edible, though, and had some nice heat to them, even though they were tasteless. I got through them with hamburger meat (grass fed) and a banana for breakfast and lunch. I didn't make quite enough veggies, so I'm feeling a bit hungry right now.

I'm eager to try out some of the recipes from the book, now that I've finished it. I think I'm going to start with the curry. I already have cooked meat and some suitable uncooked veggies (green/red peppers, onions, tomatoes) in the fridge, so I'm going to pick up a few more ingredients and see if the curry comes out better than my fajita veggies. I have high hopes.

I'm pretty disappointed. I went to the store, and even though they had a very wide variety of options for curry, ONLY ONE did not have added sugar in it. In that one, there were a couple ingredients I wasn't sure of. I couldn't remember off the top of my head whether canola oil was allowed or not, and I didn't know what urad dal was. But now that I've come home and looked it up, canola oil is not allowed, and urad dal is a legume, so that's out, too. So in the trash it goes.

Guess curry's a no-go. =(

That's pretty disappointing, since it was recommended in the book. Fortunately, I picked up a salad while I was there (chicken, spinach, olives, cucumbers, bell peppers, carrots, and some fruit), so at least I'm good for today.

But I still have to figure something out for tomorrow, or I won't have anything to eat. Alternatively, I could make some more tasteless fajita veggies. At least I have the ingredients for that. That will only last me one more day, though; then I'll be back in this position, so I may as well figure it out now.

I went around to all the grocery stores I knew of in the area. It took me hours, but I managed to find one that did have some curry paste  with no sugar in it that looked otherwise good (Thai Kitchen red curry paste). They only had it in expensive, dinky little jars, though =(

But I made it and I'm pretty happy with it. Yummy. I scarfed down those veggies.

I only made one meal's worth to try it out, but since I like it, I'll make a bigger batch tomorrow.

Sounds like you're making a good start. It can be hard at first to find compliant ingedients but with time you'll become more comfortbale with checkign labels and appreciate where you get what you need.

I've had some recipe fails too, it happens but at least you're trying new things.

Best of luck

Yeah, I think the thing I'm going to have the most trouble with is the logistics of it. When to go shopping, how much to buy, when to cook, how to cook, etc. If I'm hungry and I have no food, the first place I'll be running is some fast food restaurant. Even though there are a couple restaurants where I THINK I can be compliant, I can't really know for sure what they put in their food.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Day 2

I didn't have as many veggies as I thought I did, and it only made one meal. I went to the store and got enough supplies to last until the end of the week.

Cutting and prep work took forever, though. That's going to be a big point of failure in the long run. It's enough for now, though.

Archived