Grace's second Whole30, March 2014

GraceV

I started my second Whole30 this morning. Yay me! I completed my first one August 2013 and it was fantastic. I lost weight and inches, and had decreased symptoms of Crohn's disease and was migraine-free. I've attempted to complete another Whole30, but haven't been successful so far. :( I'm not sure why this is, but it probably has something to do with the fact that I have no support system. My husband really doesn't understand what the "big deal" is - he still thinks all calories are created equal ::facepalm:: My best friend has tried to do it with me before, but she believes she can do a Whole30 as long as she can still have honey and brown rice ::double facepalm:: So yeah, flying solo here! I was able to do it before, so I'm hopeful that I can do it again. This is my first visit to the forum and I'm really hoping that it makes a difference!

Sorry for the long intro. For breakfast this morning I had a chicken apple sausage and veggie hash with two fried eggs and for lunch I had a pork chop and Brussels sprouts (recipe from paleomg.com). Felling good so far!

Good for you!  You are not flying solo- no indeed!  There are (totally guessing here!) hundreds of folks waiting in the wings to support you on the forum.  I completed my first last August as well and can relate to the feeling of going through this effort without an understanding partner by your side.  Hope this one goes well!  I have found the log to be a nice adjunct to the experience.  For me it has a sort of "Dear Diary" feel to it, but is another accountability (and reference) element.  Best to you in the next 29 days!

Day 2 is going well. I had leftover chocolate chili (recipe from Well Fed) for breakfast, which earned me a raised eyebrow from my husband (lol) as well as an apple and coffee with coconut milk. Lunch was a pork chop and Brussels sprouts flavored with Tessemae's Southwestern Ranch dressing. For dinner I'm going to have a ground meat and cabbage curry stir-fry. Mid-afternoon I snacked on some cashews.

Feeling fine today, but I know the groggy, achey, tired feeling is coming in the next couple of days. Hopefully it won't be too bad though.

I did get irritated with a friend today who was talking about how not being able to have honey or brown rice on a Whole30 is basically arbitrary and stupid. It's irritating because she knows what I'm trying to do, she knows how hard it is, and I lent her my copy of It Stars With Food several months ago and she read it cover-to-cover and talked about how wonderful it was. Her comments just left me with a grrrr feeling. Anyway, tomorrow is a new day!

Whole30 Day 3

I still feel pretty good today. I had a wicked migraine this morning, but I think it was due to a major change in barometric pressure (a big trigger for me). I was also extremely hungry all day. I should have had more vegetables at lunch but I went for fruit instead. :/ I have felt kind of bloated all day, which could be due to over-consumption of fruit yesterday and today. Meals:

Breakfast (I still call it that): leftover stir fry of beef and cabbage from dinner last night on a bed of spinach with two fried eggs.

Lunch: More of last night's stir fry (head hurt too bad to come up with anything else) and a small bowl of fruit with a couple strawberries, some canteloup, and honeydew melon.

Dinner: Two scotch eggs and about 2.5 cups of Brussels sprouts.

I had an apple and some cashews around 10:15AM right after I took my migraine medicine because it helps to take it with food. I think I finally had enough protein today; I've felt like I've had too little for a couple days. I'm full from dinner, but not overstuffed. I'm going to try to go to bed early and get plenty of rest tonight.

Day 4

Wednesdays are always kind of hectic. I have Bible study in the morning until noon, pick up the boys, run errands, do homework, eat dinner, then go to church for AWANA and try to be an enthusiastic leader. I'm usually exhausted at the end of the day! We'll be leaving for church soon, so here are my meals:

1 - scotch egg, roasted brussles sprouts, sautéed cabbage with onion

2 - scotch egg, brussles, cabbage ( it doesn't both me to eat the same thing all day)

3 - bowl of leftover chocolate chili and an apple

Not feeling fantastic, but not too bad. I had guilt-ridden food dreams last night though! I dreamt I broke my Whole30 for some M&M's. I don't even really like M&M's! too funny.

Day 6

Whew, what a day! My youngest son turned six today (hard to believe) and he desperately wanted to take cupcakes ti school for his friends. So I made him cupcakes with the homemade vanilla buttercream frosting that he loves. And I didn't set a SINGLE. ONE. They smelled divine, but I knew that was just stage dressing. One bite would've doomed my entire day and my entire week of work. So, no cupcakes for mom. He wanted pizza for his birthday dinner, so I sat out of that one too. Then after dinner when he blew out the candle and the family ate cupcakes, I had a bowl of berries. I'm so, so glad I didn't cave! It was difficult, but I actually didn't have to remove myself from the situation like I feared - this is progree for me. So with all the baking, cooking, and cleaning, I'm completely exhausted!! Lol But I have a feeling I will have some sweet dreams tonight after a victorious day. :)

Day 7:

My first meal today was around 10:00, so let's call it brunch. (My fantastic husband let me sleep in!) I had the celeriac and sausage hash from Against All Grain topped with a fried egg, alongside my coffee with coconut milk.

Because meal one was so late in the morning and so big, I just had some cashews and an apple in the afternoon.

Dinner was crockpot mocha rubbed pot roast (I think the recipe is from stupideasypaleo.com) with cocoa-toasted cauliflower from Well Fed. Very good and very filling!! I had a small bowl of berries after dinner.

I feel pretty good today, just tired. I think it's a combo of recent busy-ness and um, monthly hormonal shifting. Looking forward to church tomorrow!

Day 8:

Well, last night the boys had a sleepover at their aunt's house, so hubby and I had the house to ourselves. What did we choose to do with our temporary freedom? Laundry and watching the fourthnseason of Glee until 2 AM. We are maniacs I tell you! Totally scandalous. Of course, I still had to get up at 7 (lost an extra hour of sleep too!!), shower, eat, pick up the boys, take them to choir practice, go to church, etc etc etc. Needless to say, I didn't get nearly enough sleep and I'm tired. So, early bedtime for everyone tonight!

Meals were as follows:

Breakfast: sausage and celeriac hash topped with eggs and coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch: more hash with a chicken apple sausage link added, apple

Dinner: cracklin' chicken thighs (recipe from Nom Nom Paleo) with broccoli and tomatoes.

I'm reeeaaaallllyyy looking forward to going to bed!!

Archived