How much do food choices affect a breast fed baby?

This isn't specifically a w30 question, but I'm curious for those that are nursing, how have you noticed your food choices affecting your baby? A lot of the research I'm finding says that it doesn't affect baby at all. Pretty much eat whatever and nature will filter out the bad to make the best milk. Considering how food affects me physically and emotionally I have a hard time beliving that it doesn't get to the baby too.

Any thoughts? Experiences?

This is anecdotal, but a friend was urged by her pediatrician to change her diet, once it was discovered that her infant had bad allergies. No dairy, no tomatoes...I can't recall what else. But she noticed a positive difference in her son right away. And she really noticed a nasty difference when she consumed hidden ingredients in her own food.

Yes, many BFing advocates will say that what we eat has very little effect on our babes. Well, we eat grassfed cows for a reason, no?  Anyway, my (10 month old) baby doesn't tolerate crucifers or onions well at all, and it causes gas and rashes. Also, she doesn't do well with dairy, but I avoid dairy anyway.  I did try goat yogurt, but that did not turn out well. I have a lot more to say about this but my baby is crying...!

Archived