Intro, the baker hangs up her apron, starting 3/13/14

crunchmom

I have always loved to cook and bake. Over the last few years I have made many batches of decorative sugar cookies and cakes - it has been a business in the past but also it's also been a creative outlet. This HAS NOT served me well and it's made a negative impact on my health and the health of my family. At last check, my blood sugars were high and my weight is close to the highest it's ever been. I need to lose approximately 65 lbs.

Today the "baking cabinet" is getting emptied. My apron will no longer be used to keep my clothes free from flour, but it will keep me spatter-free while sautéing meats and vegetables. ;)

I've been eating paleo for a few weeks, but I've also been making and eating paleo wraps, eating too many nuts, and I have been having some dairy (cream and butter). Reading through the information on the website for the last few days I understand the changes I need to make and I feel ready to start today. My copy of It Starts With Food should arrive sometime today as well. 

My brother is having a large birthday party in April. I am scheduled to create a dessert table full of baked goods. I would like to get around the baking portion of this commitment - I think instead I could supply the table, the linens, serving pieces, decorative items, etc. but avoid making the desserts. Any advice in this area would be very helpful. Stuff like this can get sticky when it involves family. 

Also, I need to come up with a new creative outlet that keeps me out of the kitchen but satisfies my need to create beautiful things that people enjoy. Any suggestions? TIA.

You can still be creative in the kitchen. It just looks different. I love to cook and bake. Cooking dinner is relaxing to me and I was afraid this commitment would mean giving that up for awhile. Instead it has guided me to reinvent some of my recipies. So many of the things that are in my dinner reprotior were for the most part Whole 30 or paleo compliant and just needed to be tweaked. An example was Itialian meatballs and marinara sauce. In the sauce I have onions, tomatoes, stock, garlic and spices but needed a substitute for the tablespoon of sugar...so I put in a a prune and pureed the sauce. Awesome and compliant. Substituted a couple of tablespoons of almond flour for the breadcrumbs in the meatballs. Yum! Let your mind start to create the good foods that we can eat on this plan. Not the paleo dessert pancake stuff but the dinner/lunch/breakfast stuff that can easily be made with whole foods.

As for the baking...I put all of the baking items in a separate pantry so that I could still use them when needed for family, friends, church etc. Out of sight out of mind. It gets easier as you go along. I don't mind baking for someone else. I just make it and put it in containers and get it out of the house.

Good luck. :)

You can definitely still be creative in the kitchen, as sherylsays says (redundant?) in the post above. But I would also look for alternative creative outlets during this time to still use that part of your brain and feel great. How about a pottery or watercolor class? Sketching? Dancing? It will help you channel your emotions and not feel like something is "missing" because you are no longer baking. 

Good luck! 

Archived