Started 3/18- Experimenting with Myself! :)

katiejean24

I have struggled with body dysmoprhic disorder since I was about 8 years old (I'm 25 now). I have also struggled with restrictive eating and compulsive exercising, although I've never truly starved myself or purged. I struggle daily with obsessive thoughts about particular parts of my body (thighs and stomach mostly), and think about food and exericise constantly.

I am about to start treatment with a therapist who has experience with BDD- the most used treatment is cognitive behavioral therapy and SSRIs. I don't want to go on medication, and so I started seeking out homeopathic treatments for OCD/anxiety/depression.

This led me to my local natural grocer's, where a worker there recommended that I read It Starts With Food. She herself had struggled with an eating disorder for 15 years, and thought that getting my hormones evened out and sugar addiction straightened out might help.

I have finished the book and started eating according to the plan about a day and a half ago (basically once I decided to do it)... I have noticed a marked improvement in my mood and energy level, and my OCD like thoughts have been simmering on the back burner instead of causing me intense pain and sadness. I feel far less bloated and less hungry throughout the day.

I'd love to know who else has struggled with anxiety/depression/OCD and/or eating disorders and whether the Whole30 helped alleviate your psychological struggles.

My partner is not doing the Whole30 with me, which I can see being a struggle. We have historically been mostly vegetarian together and we have both traditionally been wary of too much meat and animal products. So this is a big change for me. He doesn't totally get it, but I think he is happy that I have been feeling so much better the past couple of days. (I don't totally get it either- I am just viewing the next 30-45 days as an experiment on myself. I figure if I don't feel good after the Whole30 I'll just go back to how I was eating before.)

I absolutely love exercise- it's my go-to stress-reliever. I love Insanity, I walk or jog with my dog every day, I take a walk during my lunch break at work, and love going to the gym on the weekends for stair mastering and weight lifting. I love yoga when I have time. I'm also a lover of pole dancing.

Other things I am hoping to see changes in, besides an improvement in my mental health, are:

-Better skin/less acne

-Fewer allergy symptoms

-Less itchy scalp

-Hair grown back where I've lost it

-3-5 pounds weight loss/changed body comp

-More energy for my workouts and faster recovery

Thanks to everyone for being here!

I have struggled with body dysmoprhic disorder since I was about 8 years old (I'm 25 now). I have also struggled with restrictive eating and compulsive exercising, although I've never truly starved myself or purged. I struggle daily with obsessive thoughts about particular parts of my body (thighs and stomach mostly), and think about food and exericise constantly.

I am about to start treatment with a therapist who has experience with BDD- the most used treatment is cognitive behavioral therapy and SSRIs. I don't want to go on medication, and so I started seeking out homeopathic treatments for OCD/anxiety/depression.

This led me to my local natural grocer's, where a worker there recommended that I read It Starts With Food. She herself had struggled with an eating disorder for 15 years, and thought that getting my hormones evened out and sugar addiction straightened out might help.

I have finished the book and started eating according to the plan about a day and a half ago (basically once I decided to do it)... I have noticed a marked improvement in my mood and energy level, and my OCD like thoughts have been simmering on the back burner instead of causing me intense pain and sadness. I feel far less bloated and less hungry throughout the day.

I'd love to know who else has struggled with anxiety/depression/OCD and/or eating disorders and whether the Whole30 helped alleviate your psychological struggles.

My partner is not doing the Whole30 with me, which I can see being a struggle. We have historically been mostly vegetarian together and we have both traditionally been wary of too much meat and animal products. So this is a big change for me. He doesn't totally get it, but I think he is happy that I have been feeling so much better the past couple of days. (I don't totally get it either- I am just viewing the next 30-45 days as an experiment on myself. I figure if I don't feel good after the Whole30 I'll just go back to how I was eating before.)

I absolutely love exercise- it's my go-to stress-reliever. I love Insanity, I walk or jog with my dog every day, I take a walk during my lunch break at work, and love going to the gym on the weekends for stair mastering and weight lifting. I love yoga when I have time. I'm also a lover of pole dancing.

Other things I am hoping to see changes in, besides an improvement in my mental health, are:

-Better skin/less acne

-Fewer allergy symptoms

-Less itchy scalp

-Hair grown back where I've lost it

-3-5 pounds weight loss/changed body comp

-More energy for my workouts and faster recovery

Thanks to everyone for being here!

Welcome! Sounds like you are starting strong. You might find this link helpful for people doing a solo whole30. http://whole30.com/2014/03/solo-whole30/. Also there are so many wonderful veggie recipes that you can make for you and your partner and then you can have meat on the side. Sweet potato hash, cauliflower rice, carrot soup (either with coconut milk or apple juice), zucchini, butternut or pumpkin soup, roasted veggies etc. Enjoy!

Archived