Visiting family in CA in a few weeks, Can I have...?

Hey there all!

I just started eating mostly paleo a few weeks ago and I am now on day 2 on the whole 30. I am visiting family in CA in a few weeks and was wondering about dining out. I am a huge mexican food lover and there is not really any good mexican food where I am. Mainly what I want is some carne asada with guacomole. My dad is healthy and I know I won't have a problem eating healthy at his house, but I will still be on the whole 30 when I go visit him. Would eating out be a problem?

Brittany Long

Hey there all!

I just started eating mostly paleo a few weeks ago and I am now on day 2 on the whole 30. I am visiting family in CA in a few weeks and was wondering about dining out. I am a huge mexican food lover and there is not really any good mexican food where I am. Mainly what I want is some carne asada with guacomole. My dad is healthy and I know I won't have a problem eating healthy at his house, but I will still be on the whole 30 when I go visit him. Would eating out be a problem?

Brittany Long

Unfortunately most Mexican restaurants use non compliant ingredients to marinate and cook their food. You will have to ask all kinds of questions. If you can find a restaurant that has a gluten free menu that is a step in the right direction (I know the Elephant Bar has one and their food is really good). In San Diego they have paleo food trucks "Not So Fast Food" you might do a search for the area you are visiting and see if they have any. I have never had success eating out. They ALWAYS put croutons on my salad and cheese and a bun on my burger. So annoying! Good Luck!

Unfortunately most Mexican restaurants use non compliant ingredients to marinate and cook their food. You will have to ask all kinds of questions. If you can find a restaurant that has a gluten free menu that is a step in the right direction (I know the Elephant Bar has one and their food is really good). In San Diego they have paleo food trucks "Not So Fast Food" you might do a search for the area you are visiting and see if they have any. I have never had success eating out. They ALWAYS put croutons on my salad and cheese and a bun on my burger. So annoying! Good Luck!

Your probably right. Maybe I could make my own carne asada at home! I will look for some of those trucks though!!

I am going to San Diego though so maybe I can go to the Elephant Bar!!!

Your probably right. Maybe I could make my own carne asada at home! I will look for some of those trucks though!!

I am going to San Diego though so maybe I can go to the Elephant Bar!!!

I think this one in San Marcos is the best. There is one in Rancho Bernardo but it is not as good. The one in San Marcos is always busy. http://www.elephantbar.com/location/sanmarcos. Enjoy. 

• 1 year later...

Hi, 

I am curious as to what you order at Elephant Bar. I am going this Friday for a work lunch that I can't miss. I am on my third round, so I definitely know what questions to ask. But I am just wondering what kind of things Whole30ers have specifically ordered here :) I didn't see a gluten free menu online for my location. 

Thanks!

Archived