Can anyone recommend a sleep mask for a large dome?

I'm on day 35 of my first whole 30 (I decided to extend it through lent). I've enjoyed several of the expected benefits of the change in lifestyle but feel like I have not come close to what my body is potentially capable of. 

The more I read about sleeping habits, the more I am convinced that even though I get a good quantify of sleep (most of the time), the quality is very poor. My weight has fluctuated over the years through periods of poor nutrition followed by periods of perceived high quality nutrition and exercise. While the number on the scale has gone up and down with a max variance of around 60 lbs, the fat on my belly and hips might as well have a mailing address. It hasn't moved an inch. Case in point: I could be the cortisol belly posterchild.

I rent an apartment with my girlfriend and sadly our bedroom has four windows and is lit up like a Christmas tree at night (the window closest to my pillow is in direct line of sight with a street lamp that looks like it came out of Fenway Park). When plan to move soon, so investing in room darkening shades and blinds to fit this particular bedroom is not a cost effective option. 

I'm looking into face masks. I have a very large head (about a 7.5 if you know hat sizes). I'm also a side sleeper and roll from side to side several times during the night. Can anyone recommend a sleep mask they have been happy with? The reviews on Amazon appear mixed for several models, either love/hate. 

Thanks in advance, and sorry for such a long preface to a very simple question.

I don't like commercial sleep masks because they slip and don't block light very well. Instead, I take a stretchy, thin knee high trouser sock, fit it snugly to my own head to get the perfect size, then see a couple stitches or use a safety pin. Works perfectly, blocks all light, and doesn't come off as easily. Or I use a thin fleece headband over my eyes.

Hi robrom505, keep in mind that a sleep mask just covers your eyes. There are light sensors in your skin. Therefore, even if you have something blocking light from reaching your eyes, if you have your hands or arms or legs out from under the covers, your body will still sense light. 

My suggestion is super cheap and super low-tech, but it does the job, and it is something I do myself to aid my own sleep quantity and quality: take some cardboard, cut it exactly to the size of each window, and if your cutting was accurate, you can press-fit each piece of cardboard to the appropriate window. I cut a small hole in the middle of each piece of cardboard so that I can put a finger through it and pull out the piece each morning (I've made a small flap for each hole...the flap covers the hole at night so that light doesn't shine through). In the morning, I pop out the cardboard, and store it under my bed (closet works too).

Works better than blackout curtains!

Hope this helps! 

• 2 weeks later...

Update: This is the sleep mask I ended up ordering: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CCI4YU/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's fits my XL sized head just fine. As most amazon reviewers state the mask does allow a little bit of light to come through the bottom for me. However my girlfriend slipped it on and said it was a complete blackout. I like the space between eyelids and mask. For $10 this is a good purchase. It would be perfect for someone who sleeps on their back without a lot of movement. I often find it has shifted or come off completely. 

I was amazed at how well Tiva's sock suggestion worked. The same long black underarmor socks I bought to keep the bar bell from bleeding my chins while lifting gives me complete blackout when wrapped around my head (different pair of course). Again, the only downside is keeping it in place. 

I'm collecting my cardboard to try Puppypower's blackout solution....

Archived