McJule's Reintro

mcjule

So I did 33 days of the Whole 30. Today is wheat reintro. I just had breakfast and it definitely still tastes good to me but I fear the consequences!

Breakfast: whole wheat bagel w/egg, tomato, and spinach, coffee

Lunch: sandwich with veggies and avocado, few nuts (this ended up being a huge pain because I was in the airport and the place I had planned to go and researched had closed so I was struggling to find something that didn't have added cheese or meat -- no meat because it was Friday).  

Dinner: veggie pizza (no cheese)

Overall conclusion from my wheat intro:  wheat does NOT agree with my body and I'm going to be living mostly gluten-free.  I had a feeling it was going to be bad, really bad (like puking or diarrhea) but it wasn't THAT bad.  It was still bad enough that wheat is not going to be a part of my everyday diet.  I guess I'm glad that it wasn't so horrific that I can't ever have it again.  Now I can have an occasional dessert or piece of bread if it looks absolutely irresistible because I know while I won't feel great, it won't kill me.  

It was funny that the first bite of warm toasted bagel yesterday morning was SO good and by the end of the day I was dying to return to my morning sweet potato.  Short-lived joy!

The rundown of symptoms and complicating factors:

Bloating/stomachache:  this happened almost immediately after having my bagel and then again after each meal.  It wasn't so bad that I couldn't function (thank goodness because I had to fly home yesterday) but I did not feel good.  My stomach is still a bit off today but I also got my period so that could be caused by either thing, although the cramps related to my time of the month are different than the stomachache I've been feeling.

Headache:  this also happened almost immediately after eating breakfast.  I was concerned that it might have been because I treated myself to a glass of wine the night before but I didn't wake up with a headache, as one would expect from a wine-induced reaction, instead I got the headache after eating breakfast.  I took Advil but it didn't really help.

Stuffiness:  this is hard to say whether or not this is related to the wheat.  It did happen after breakfast, but it is also springtime and I have allergies.  I still have the stuffiness today.

Fatigue:  I had gotten a good night sleep the night before but I was still tired yesterday afternoon especially.  Again, I was traveling for work so maybe that was a contributing factor.  Hard to say.

Cravings:  I really didn't have any and in fact I was so full from my meals that I wasn't hungry at all for snacks.  So that's good that the cravings are still at bay.

Two days of the Whole 30 until non-gluten grains on Monday.

I forgot to add that I worked out yesterday morning which was SO great.  I did it before eating any wheat -- good call by me!  I was at a hotel with a gym so I took advantage.  Nothing major -- elliptical and weights.  I used to be a huge gym rat and I haven't been able to find a good routine since having kids.

It was less painful Lujo but not exactly a pleasant experience!  I think the only pleasure I got out of my wheat reintro was the first bite of bagel that morning.  It was all downhill from there!  

I felt kind of blah all day yesterday.  I'm sure many things could have contributed but I'll blame the wheat.   :)   My stomach wasn't quite right, I still felt a little headachy, tired, and stuffy.  I forgot to post menus so here is yesterday and today.  Tomorrow I go with non-gluten grains . . . very clueless about how I'll feel with those.

Day 35

Breakfast:  three eggs w/asparagus, sweet potato w/ghee and coconut flakes, coffee w/almond milk

Lunch:  leftover meat sauce, apple, cashews (we were really low on food so I was just kind of throwing things together)

Dinner:  grilled hamburger w/tomatoes and salad, prunes

Day 36

Breakfast:  three eggs w/asparagus, coffee w/coconut milk (ran out of time for the sweet potato before Mass)

Lunch:  sweet potato w/ghee, chicken apple sausage, carrots w/baba ganoush

Dinner:  my husband really wanted my spaghtetti carbonara so I am going to make it for him and adapt it (re:  no cheese) for me over spaghetti squash

So my carbonara was so-so last night.  My husband's was awesome.  I'll have to keep working on the sauce -- it's just not creamy enough without the cheese.  

I'm super nervous about trying non-gluten grains today.  The wheat day made me feel bad for two days and I was just starting to feel good again.  But better to know!  I'm not going to have such large portions like I did with the wheat.  My pre-Whole 30 breakfast was oatmeal or oat bran w/almond butter everyday.  I loved it but today when I made up some oatmeal it just didn't seem quite as good.  

On another note, I've been having more nuts/nut butters the past few days because we're about to head out on vacation and I am trying to eat up all the food and not leave a bunch here.  I seem to be low on protein.

Day 37

Breakfast:  oatmeal w/almond butter, three eggs, coffee w/almond milk

Lunch:  spaghetti squash, braised cabbage w/pancetta, couple handfuls of gourmet popcorn

Dinner:  chicken curry over rice

It was fine. I didn't notice any ill effects that day or after. I felt a little sick in the morning that I thought might be the oatmeal but think it was being in the car. I don't think I'll be eating them all the time but I'm glad since I won't be having gluten that at least I can have rice or corn occasionally.

Looks like rice and corn will be okay for me on occasion also.  I read in another of your posts about not getting enough protein.  If you are eating out you could probably ask for a double order of whatever protein you are getting.  I'm sure there will be an up charge but better than starving or giving yourself a stomach ache with too many nuts.

Lujo good idea about the double protein. We're with relatives now and I've been sick so not eating much of anything. Did accidentally have some dairy and some wheat (good thing I reintroed!). Really annoying because both times I was told they were compliant. Looking forward to being home and knowing what I'm eating!

Just wanted to update -- I'm done with vacation and back to Whole 30 eating for a few days.  Then I think I will try dairy again.  While on vacation I had a little bit of butter, cream, feta, and goat cheese.  All of them made me feel sick but they also all overlapped with a stomach bug that I got so I don't think it was a very reliable indicator.  I'm hopeful that I'll be able to eat small amounts of certain dairy products going forward.  

Archived