Lenten Whole40: Reintroduction

TDC

Thank you for that good info, TDC.  Once done with reintros, I'll enjoy my Mary's Gone crackers then.  I know what you mean about the expense of coconut aminos.  A good tamari might be an option for the times I want soy sauce and save the aminos for special seasoning of meat.

Tomorrow is time for another reintro of something, but not sure what I want to try.  I guess gluten.  Or maybe I'll do my corn all by itself reintro.

Tonight I chaperone prom.  There will be plenty of fruit to eat there so if I get hungry I'll have some fruit and try to avoid dipping it in the chocolate fountain :~)

We had company over the weekend but it meant lots of eating out, almost no cooking, and some off-roading in terms of food.  I didn't do gluten because I'm avoiding that from here on out but I did have other grains, wine, and some dairy.  I used the dairy I had to test the dairy foods and I had the following reactions

butter and heavy cream -- fine

feta, goat cheese, and ricotta -- super stuffed up

I'm not 100% sure that the butter and heavy cream didn't just have a delayed reaction (had them in the morning and the others in the afternoon/evening).  Also it's spring and allergy season so maybe it's unrelated but I hadn't been stuffed up until I had the dairy.

I also put this in a separate post but I got a stomachache from brown rice sushi.  I didn't dip it in soy sauce but I think they use some soy in the process but I had tried soy sauce last week in a small quantity and found it to be fine and same with white rice.  So I'm wondering if the brown rice was an issue?  

I don't know if the rest of you feel this way but even for the foods like non-gluten grains that didn't cause me problems . . . I just prefer not having them in my diet!  Going out a lot I had them in small quantities which I know isn't horrible but I was longing for the day when I could return to Whole 30 (plus some occasional chocolate!) eating!

Brown rice is supposed to be harder to digest than white rice because the bran casing it is exactly the thing the seed develops to stop predators eating it! White rice has been stripped of that so it's easier to digest. Stick to white rice! Sushi rice has sugar in as well.

My boyfriend has asked that we do another Whole30-ish in the run up to our holiday, which basically means largely (but not necessarily fully) sticking to the principles, but just a bit looser -- Riding Our Own Bikes I suppose! It's more of a weight loss thing for him -- he knows it works! -- and more of a 'this is how I want to live' thing for me. So generally we've had our typical meat + veg meals but I'm a bit more relaxed about potatoes and rice (because I'm not too bothered about losing loads more weight. Not really in the sense that I'm eating them everyday but just now and then). I've also got some 100% chocolate sitting in my draw at work and we've had the UK equivalent of Lara bars once in a while. We're both drinking alcohol again, too, but not too often for me, mostly at the weekends and when out and about with friends. I've had a bit of dairy too, mostly because I had some friends round for brunch on Sunday and I bought some milk for their teas and coffees and I still have loads left; don't want to waste it! But I'm pretty much generally happy without dairy, although won't be too bothered about it if I have some when out and about. I don't really need it at home.

So it seems that finally I've worked out how to deal with this on our own in a way that makes me happy. Cooking and planning food has become more natural to me that the line between eating Whole30 and not eating Whole30 is not that sharp -- there are some things in there that I wouldn't eat on the Whole30 but I don't think they're terrible for me. The thought of doing another Whole30 isn't a tiring or scary thought, but I haven't got one lined up and I probably won't for a while. Maybe in September. But things seem to be going along OK right now. Will reasses in a few weeks time!

This weekend I've been our at a two-day road-racing competition and have eaten a pile of non-compliant foods. The truth is, I haven't had an adverse reaction, unless you count feeling super-full for a while. I think I've cleaned up my intestinal flora. Minimal non-compliant foods don't seem to bother me. I was furious at breakfast this morning when I discovered I was out of sweet potatoes...

My face rash flared up a week ago right in the middle of a week of fully compliant eating, and this weekend has been exacerbated by being outside in the wind. The rash feels like windburn on its best day; being out in the wind makes it worse.

But I'm not complaining too loudly: I earned a pole position by 3 seconds in wet conditions, then went on to my first win in six seasons during a hailstorm. (What tires am I supposed to use for THAT, anyway?!) It was 52 degrees, pouring & hailing, and I drove like my life depended on it. A great weekend overall. Back to compliant eating this Monday...

Well done TessTurbo!

Generally speaking I've dipped in and out of eating compliant and non compliant food and drink. Generally I stay on track and usually consider gluten free options on the menu before anything else, but I don't beat myself up about stuff if I order something with wheat. Having said that I pretty much never fancy bread so the other day I ordered the burger and ate it without the bun. It was too juicy and messy to eat with the hands anyway and I always think of the burger buns as vehicles to get the filling to my mouth so once you HAVE to use cutlery you might as well leave out the bread anyway!! Yesterday I was at a funeral and I had a small chocolate eclair and scone at the wake. They were both delicious, very tasty and in a previous life would have eaten much more. But I just didn't fancy it. The small bits I had satisfied my immediate desire, but I could feel the butteryness in my mouth, and although I don't have an issue with butter and often use it in my cooking, there's something that happens to it when combined with wheat that allows it to linger longer in my mouth than other food, making me feel a bit sick. And that's good because it at best stops me eating it altogether and at worst limits it to just a taste.

My sweet tooth has almost disappeared...like I said, I enjoyed those two desserts but I didn't need to scoff my face. I've been eating 100% chocolate recently and I tried some 84% chocolate and thought 'gosh that's quite sweet!'. 

I am less cautious about eating potatoes and have had milk now and then, although I don't have it in the house ever, it's just when I'm out and about in my tea and coffee. Even then I find coffee with milk a bit too...milky -- when I do add milk it's less and less quantity wise.

Rice doesn't bother me and I've had that quite a lot. Again, not necessarily much at home -- it's just out of my mind to cook it most of the time! But if I'm out and about it's easiest to choose a rice-based option.

Not much of the food bothers me too much so I don't mind having them now and then. The thought of what they MIGHT do without me realising stops me going too far with it so that's good. I generally choose a gluten-free or generally compliant option(not being TOO hung up about things though). I am noticing that there is more awareness of paleo lifestyle or at least gluten free eating in London which is really exciting.

I'm planning another Whole30 in August, just to get back on track after a summer full of weddings and holidays. August is a good time as there's so much delicious produce -- fruit and veg -- available so it's a good time to indulge in local, fresh produce at a time when they're at their best.

How's everyone else doing, now the reintro period is (probably) over for most of you? How are you riding your own bike? Are you planning another Whole30?

I have more energy with compliant eating, but I do branch out from time to time. I haven't found anything that really sends my digestive system over the edge when eaten in moderation (as I've mentioned, I think my intestinal flora have been re-set) but I have found plenty of FWOB. Cookies & pizza leap to mind. And this morning, hash brown potatoes. I ate until they were GONE, long after the point at which I was satisfied. Clearly, not the healthiest approach, even with the most nutritious of foods.

What I do notice a big sensitivity to, is the sugar crash. When I do eat pizza, potatoes, etc. I pretty much know I'm going to need a nap later, or else risk fall asleep at whatever I'm doing. On days when a nap isn't possible, I do what I can to avoid those foods. It's a BIG crash.

I don't want to be that person everyone constantly has to cater to. ("Happy birthday, Mom; let's go where *I* can get a decent meal.") There are times when I'm willing to go with the flow. I go to awards dinners and fundraisers sometimes where quite frankly, I eat within reason from whatever's served. If I eat dessert at a dinner, I enjoy that one piece, and rest easy knowing the remainder won't be sitting on my own kitchen counter when I get home. I have relatives who are on some kind of all-plant, no-oils diet, and they'll say "oh, don't trouble yourselves; we'll just eat whatever." Then if there's nothing available by their rigid standards -- I'd roasted the veg; they don't eat the light spritz of oil -- they'll sit there with empty plates, which makes others at the table feel self-conscious. Usually, the host gets up and tries to make something special, despite their protests. ("No trouble at all; really.")

Since completing Whole30, when I cook, I plan & cook in my own best interests 90% of the time. When others do, I never request anything special. When I'm out, more often than not I'll order a salad with chicken on top, but if that isn't available, I enjoy whatever IS, without guilt. That balance seems to be working well for me.

Hi guys!  I've been off roading quite a bit.  But I do tend to go back to a Whole30 way.  I prefer coconut milk in my coffee, but if I didn't carry along, I will take whole cream.  Whole cream and butter do not seem to bother me.  I still cook with duck fat mostly but will put butter on my veg.  I avoid milk and cheese after my dairy reintro results.  I was already wheat avoidant for the most part pre-W30, so didn't officially reintro although I ate a little bread (my homemade with non-modern wheat) and yesterday when daughter #2 took me out for Mother's Day I had half a bun with my burger.  I still avoid soy. And read labels, avoiding as many bad things as possible (carrageenan etc).  We went on vacation this past week, eating out and also hotel breakfasts... ate pretty well and didn't mess up too badly.   Weekends are generally more lax.  I get back on track during the week days.  I'd guess I'm about 15/85 paleo in general. 

My main question or quest is to figure out what's best for me, being without a gall bladder and having gastro issues (biliary reflux) periodically.  I know I need more fruit than is recommended, mild fruits like bananas, pears, pineapples.  I am also interested in learning more about "safe" starches and resistant starches.  I physically do better with those and need to figure out timing and amounts. 

I ran a 5K Friday evening and most of the day had felt really badly...tired, headaches, etc after coming home Thursday night late from Florida after vacation (son's graduation). About 3 hours before, I had a smoothie and I felt pretty good after I got going and didn't feel sick (throw up) during.  I also hydrated better this time than I did for the race that I ran during the W30.  I ran the whole thing the other evening, and I didn't pee myself too badly either.  My smoothie was: ice, water kefir, pineapple, blueberries, 1/2 avocado, coconut milk, flax, chia.  Very good and I'll continue that recipe whenever I do a smoothie.  It's different from my pre-W30 smoothie in that there is no greek yogurt.  Avoiding dairy still.

I think my favorite breakfast is sautéed:  ground pork, onions, broccoli, coconut aminos, shallot pepper. 

I am reading the Perfect Health Diet.  Interesting Paleo (Primal, actually) way that may be best for me with my gastro issues.  Still tweaking...

Hi everyone.  This weekend was my worst so far for going off track.  My son got a job and that's great but we are car sharing so our schedules are all up in the air.  I looked into getting him a car of his own but between insurance and gas and a possible car payment every penny he made would go towards the car plus he would have to borrow some from me.  So we are going to hold off on that for a little longer.  He's going to save some and we will try to get him an older car with no payments so we can keep the insurance cost down as well.  anyway the point I was getting to is we ended up eating out Friday night and it was Chinese.  Not good.  It tasted great but my stomach has been a mess ever since.  It seemed to trigger all my old bad bad habits too. This whole weekend was full of food debauchery.  Capped off yesterday with my planned treat of homemade blueberry pancakes with real maple syrup.  I did get myself back on track with dinner last night and today is a re-start although I'm not calling it a Whole30.  It's more of a 90%/20. 

This week moving forward meal planning and getting dinner on the table in a timely manner will be the new challenge.  I plan to use my crockpot some and lots of ground meat which is quick. Here's my meals so far since last night.

Dinner last night:  Chicken breast stir fry with bok choi, peppers, onions, and green beans.  Cooked in sesame oil, ginger and garlic with some Sczechuan spices.

Today

Meal 1: 2 eggs scrambled, 2 bacon slices,  red pepper, onion, and greens. I love greens and eggs they are a favorite combo.

Meal2: leftover paleo beef stew with sweet potatoes, onions, tomatoes, and spinach

Meal 3: Ground beef with some veges, maybe a salad - maybe taco salad.

Great to hear from all of you on how things are going and mostly everyone seems to be managing well within their own parameters, which is awesome to read. lujo238: I think more important than how the food makes you feel physically is how the food makes you feel mentally. So yes, you enjoyed the food when you ate it and yes you paid for it when you tummy hurt. But mentally you know how to re-balance after a weekend of debauchery and really that's half the battle! If a weekend of debauchery meant that it just became a self-perpuating cycle (i.e. oh well I had X on Sunday, it own't make a difference if I have Y now). It's far more healthy to have the mindset of 'oh I ate that and I enjoyed it at the time, but now I'd like to get back to food that feels good in my tummy, not just in my mouth.' 

Well that's what I think anyway, and I'm constantly striving for that balance.

TessTurbo: I'm with you on the not wanting to be THAT person. I hate being THAT person. Especially as I used to roll my eyes at THAT person. So I'm fairly similar to you in that I try and be flexible, but I do find it difficult to be faced with a menu and try and make the best of it. Generally I either go 'oh what the hell' and have the worst thing on there or I order what seems to be the most innocuous and then not really enjoy it. It's a tough balance. I often offer to cook a dish or invite people round instead or ask to choose the restaurant when eating socially, but it is tough.

I had a weekend of debauchery in a sense as I went away for the weekend with my closest friends from university on a sort of reunion. It was great, and I had decided not to worry about eating. Here's the worst of it:

- Drinking. Lots of it. But I stuck to relatively low sugar stuff and didn't actually drink anywhere near as much as I would have a year ago. I hate being hungover! 

- Fish and chips. There wasn't a non-battered option for the fish but I don't care. It was good. Really good.

- Cheesecake. Yeap, I enjoyed it. I won't eat another one for a while but it was really tasty. I enjoyed every single mouthful.

- Crumpets and a piece of toast for breakfast. Not worth it. Not one bit. This was the morning after the night out and I was solely eating them because I thought 'oh I must be hungover after all that and I'm allowed to be indulgent.' I really could have done without this, guilt-wise!

- a Snickers and a mocha on the (long) drive home. I'm ambivalent: no I didn't NEED this but I fancied something sweet, it was a long journey, and I was at the end of a really good trip. Probably on balance I should say I regret this, but I don't think I do, deep down!!

I knew I was looking ahead to two strict Whole30 weeks (or at least 10 days) before going away on holiday so in a way going all out at the weekend didn't bother me too much. I know I shouldn't compare but when I look at what my friends ate I really don't think I need to be so worried about it! I mean they all ate all I did above, but THREE times more. So my single indulgents made me happy at the time, but I know that mentally I'm done for a while. My awareness is acute and I think that's important.

So yes, I'm doing the Whole30 strict(-ish -- there are a couple of meals out where I might need to lighten up a bit as I'd planned these in advance, but I'll do my best) for the next 12 days or so before I go away on holiday. I am worried about putting weight back on or becoming complacent and slipping back into bad habits. 

Thing is, I look forward to my strict Whole30s -- life is almost EASIER on the Whole30 as you basically don't have to make tough decisions!

After my posting above last weekend (Mother's Day) my daughter made me a chocolate cheesecake.  I probably ate enough to choke a horse.  And it did set me off for the rest of the week.  I ate things I normally NEVER would.  I am on a FB list and some of us are doing an 8 day re-set (Whole30 food rules Friday 16th - Friday 23rd).  So far so good.  As usual, my planning stinks due to my busy schedule. But I'm getting it done. Not very true to W30 template, though.  I just needed this to have a reason to get away from sugar again.

Archived