Day 1, hailing from West Africa

Theresac

Good morning!

I've been on and off paleo for a while now. I started paleo as a diet, and it ended up 100% clearing up some intestinal issues (what my husband likes to call GAS OF DEATH). I spent some time travelling and went back to the old ways, and guess what happened? The death gas returned (and my hair started falling out again).

I'm back at home (sort of ... I'm an expat), and super excited to use the Whole30 as a way to get my body back on track after years of abuse before getting serious about weight loss. I stepped on the scale for the last time this morning, and the idea of not doing it for another 30 days is both frightening and liberating at the same time.

My biggest frustration seems like it'll be that there just isn't a large variety of whole30 compliant food available here (except cassava ... there is SO MUCH cassava). I understand that the point of Whole30 is to be uncompromising, but I've simply resolved to do the best I can with what I've got. That said, any suggestions for goods that can be shipped over here are more than welcome!

Anyway. Obese. Professional in a high stress job. Mother of an 8-month old girl. Living in West Africa. Excited about making my body healthier.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Theresa

Although we get the best seafood in the world (OMG wonderful), there's very little variety in terms of fresh vegetables (cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, cabbage, avocados, mangos, bananas, and sometimes carrots and watermelon) and meat. Most of the canned and frozen foods (tuna, salmon, vegetables) have additives and preservatives. And of course, just about everything I don't cook myself is cooked in vegetable or peanut oil.

In any case, I'm stocking up on fish and fresh vegetables tonight!

• 1 month later...

Archived