BCP/PCOS... help!!

paddlingkiki

I'm new to the forum but not new to the Whole 30. Last year, in June I completed a whole 30. The results were great and I maintained my momentum (for the most part) through the remainder of the summer - and then I went to Paris and discovered French Macarons. OMG. Anyways - my diet has been off and on since. I'm celiac so already no wheat/gluten for me, but I have a TERRIBLE sweet tooth that has had me (at times) scarfing entire bags of m&m's or, really, any other candy I can get my hands on.

Anyways - why I'm writing....

In March 2013 I went off the birth control pill as a conscious decision to stop relying on hormone therapy, and I was having a hard time getting my period back. I had a super short (re: 2 days) period shortly after starting my June Whole 30, and then nothing until December, 2013. I've recently undergone a number of tests (lady hormone function, ultrasounds, etc.), and the doctor's have diagnosed me with Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (I have many small cysts on both ovaries) and An-Ovulation (I don't ovulate - but I get period bleeds). 

I'm 30 years old and not a "typical PCOS patient", according to my doc (I exercise very regularly, have no metabolic syndromes and am not overweight). The doctor wants to put me on Clomid to get me started ovulating again (my husband and I want to start trying), but going on a hormone solution seems counter to everything that I read, and why I wanted to get away from BCP in the first place. He says that without trying Clomid, my only other chance for conceiving is IVF which is a non-starter for us.

I get the Whole 30 lifestyle, and I'm ready to throw myself headfirst into finding a more natural solution to get my body back on track, but I'm wondering whether any ladies out there have had similar issues and whether they were able to get back to normal on the Whole 30 (or 45, 60, whatever the number). 

Thanks in advance for your responses, and for sharing. I know that this is a really personal topic...

I'm new to the forum but not new to the Whole 30. Last year, in June I completed a whole 30. The results were great and I maintained my momentum (for the most part) through the remainder of the summer - and then I went to Paris and discovered French Macarons. OMG. Anyways - my diet has been off and on since. I'm celiac so already no wheat/gluten for me, but I have a TERRIBLE sweet tooth that has had me (at times) scarfing entire bags of m&m's or, really, any other candy I can get my hands on.

Anyways - why I'm writing....

In March 2013 I went off the birth control pill as a conscious decision to stop relying on hormone therapy, and I was having a hard time getting my period back. I had a super short (re: 2 days) period shortly after starting my June Whole 30, and then nothing until December, 2013. I've recently undergone a number of tests (lady hormone function, ultrasounds, etc.), and the doctor's have diagnosed me with Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (I have many small cysts on both ovaries) and An-Ovulation (I don't ovulate - but I get period bleeds). 

I'm 30 years old and not a "typical PCOS patient", according to my doc (I exercise very regularly, have no metabolic syndromes and am not overweight). The doctor wants to put me on Clomid to get me started ovulating again (my husband and I want to start trying), but going on a hormone solution seems counter to everything that I read, and why I wanted to get away from BCP in the first place. He says that without trying Clomid, my only other chance for conceiving is IVF which is a non-starter for us.

I get the Whole 30 lifestyle, and I'm ready to throw myself headfirst into finding a more natural solution to get my body back on track, but I'm wondering whether any ladies out there have had similar issues and whether they were able to get back to normal on the Whole 30 (or 45, 60, whatever the number). 

Thanks in advance for your responses, and for sharing. I know that this is a really personal topic...

I have PCOS as well….have probably had it since I was 20 years old when my periods just disappeared!  Wasn't overweight and worked out regularly as well.  I was on BC for most of my twenties and went off when I wanted to conceive when I was 30.  I used Clomid, and thankfully (and luckily) got pregnant on the very first try.  Funny thing is, ever since I weaned my daughter, around 14 months, my periods are regular and exact.  It seems pregnancy re-started those particular hormones for me.  

There are some books on PCOS and infertility and diet, the "Natural Diet-Solution for PCOS."  I think nutrition is a good start, but for us, Clomid was a great first step and it worked well.  I hope this helps!  Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I have PCOS and while I'm not trying to conceive I have chatted with my naturopath and my chiropractor regarding lifestyle changes or medication I may need to take when I am ready to start a family. Both doctors recommended a Paleo lifestyle and Myo-Inositol.

I put Myo-Inositol (a powdery supplement) into a glass of water every morning. I have had no negative side effects from it. My chiropractor says that she has patients who are trying to conceive who take this and have had their ovarian function tested after taking it - for all patients, their ovarian function improved while taking it.

I also currently take a naturally derived progesterone pill; my moods and PMS symptoms are seriously INSANE without this hormone. My naturopath said that when I'm ready to start trying, we'll need to adjust the dosage/and or the days I take the hormone. I think it's worth looking into! Have you ever had your hormone levels tested (I'm not sure what a hormonal function test is)? I think it's valuable for PCOS patients to understand where there hormone levels are and how to adjust them. A lot of naturopaths or chiropractors will help you test your hormones with a saliva test. My testosterone levels have dropped significantly since eating healthfully and my progesterone levels have risen with healthy eating and the hormone I take. At the same time, I personally know several women in their thirties who weren't ovulating, took Clomid, began ovulating, and had children! So, you have some options! Good luck to you! :)

Archived