Any Aussies in here

Rachaussie

KatGaz- Thanks for the tip on coconut aminos. I ended up ordering a few things from iherb and got a compliant one there. Initially I had found Nui Life locally, but looking at the ingredients it was not compliant :(. I'm admiring your patience with the re-introductions too, I'm worried I will try and rush it.

SophieV- I'm day 7 and had to avoid eggs for breakfast the last few days as just the thought of them seemed heavy and made me feel sick. I'm thinking I'll be right to try them again tomorrow. As for headaches mine have only just disappeared today (well nearly).

Nkf87- Good luck with the bacon, it would be great for adding to dishes.

1 week down, 4 and a bit to go. I wonder if there will come a point when I stop wanting this to end?

I'm at end of day 3 and I'm in Melbourne. I've been living on a primal diet for a few years now and lost about 30Kg total. On and off, but mostly on. Not 100% strict, was still eating dairy and the sneaky grains here and there. As I've experienced ketosis and the transition to ketosis several times before, I know what to expect and I'm finding this relatively pain free. Felt the fatigue today but I know it will pass soon. Really committed to doing the whole 30 days as I've never done it this strict for so long before.

I wish all my fellow aussies success!

Wow. Congrats on the 30kg PunchingWorms. Sounds like you will sail through your 30 days. This is my 1st effort on a primal diet and I'm finding it difficult at times. I miss my diet coke and sugar, but then again they are a big part of why I'm doing this :D. Also struggling with exercise, my legs are like lead going for a jog :(

Thanks Cara, I lost the weight in spurts of doing strict primal couple of months at a time and then I'd plateau and start indulging here and there in non-compliant foods. Alcohol is the biggest de-railer for me.

It is difficult first time doing primal. You have to think a lot more about every meal regarding what you can have or not but it's all part of the learning process. The low carb fatigue can get pretty bad and it can effect your capacity to think logically too. You have to keep your mental focus on the goal and the challenge as your mind can get pretty cloudy at first.

Once you're into the swing of things though you will feel unstoppable! You stop getting hunger pangs and you just know when it's time to eat but you don't have that starving sensation. 

I love Phillip Island, its my favourite holiday spot. Do you jog on the beach?

Punchingworms - that is a great achievement!

I can back-up what you say about feeling unstoppable, I struggled for the first week and a bit - felt fatigued and workout strength/endurance went down - but after that I've had so much energy and seeing big improvements during CrossFit sessions and less soreness during recovery (maybe due to overall lowered inflammation).

I've also been on/off Paleo and Primal for the past 18 months but hadn't been this strict before. I found the fine-tuning with the Whole30 has finally made everything click into place, as I was telling myself that a little bit of this or that wasn't too bad but it does add up and next thing you know you're eating grains and dairy every day!

I think it'll be easier avoiding sugar/grains/dairy from now on as I've seen how good I feel without them. 

I'm halfway through my re-intro and have decided to cut dairy out longer-term. I've re-developed a rash that I have had on and off for over 10 years, after just mentioning to my husband last week that it had completely disappeared after Whole30  (fungal skin infection, sorry for TMI). I'm not sure if it's dairy or sugar or combination of both so still some fine-tuning to do.

Switched around our planned legume re-intro yesterday for gluten as we went to a friends house for State of Origin and they were having pizza and because: life happens. Just glad this landed on a day when we were able to be flexible. 

Boom! Day 5 roasted. The morning workout was a bit of a struggle, I wondered if maybe I was overdoing it for the first week on W30. Absolutely no problems with food. 

There is another thing with this food regimen though. Exclusion. Everyone in my team went to the pub for lunch today. I didn't because of W30. I wasn't bothered by it, just that slight feeling of being left out. I feel fantastic though and I wouldn't trade that feeling for a pub lunch any day. Then I was with some friends at a bar tonight, not drinking, even time after time they would offer me a drink. I'm solid. If I can get through that I can get through anything. Usually on those occasions I would tell myself I'll only have a couple, but then go with the flow and binge drink the night away ... but that day is not today.

I really dig the rule that says no stepping on the scales until the end. If not I'd be stepping on it every morning and the result would sometimes dictate my mood for the day. Happy if I'd lost weight, disappointed if I'd remained the same or gained. I know I have lost weight this week though, I can see it in my face and feel it in my clothes. 

I hope you all are enjoying your healthy journey.

Punchingworms, I know what you mean about the scales, I have been sooooo tempted to 'check' but I realise it's part of the deal and also that I do use the 'result' as a way to decide whether I am doing well or not and I give myself the licence to have a treat if I have lost some weight dooohh!! 

But after 6 days, my jeans are not as tight - they had been sooooo tight they were giving me a backache!!! So.... going without scales still :-)

Re: going out, I am going out tonight, but to a steak house, so hopefully I will be able to find things I can eat...

hope everyone is doing well  :)

Hello everyone, I live in the Southern Highlands, NSW, and just signed up.  I've committed myself to starting on July 1, and am really looking forward to doing this and being healthy again!  And beating those bread and sugar cravings......

Hi Nonni!

I haven't found it too hard, but I was not drinking coke or eating lollies before starting. I still look at bread longinly, and would noty mind a bit of dark chocolate, but I think that's pretty normal and I don't think those thoughts will ever go? Still I feel sooooo much better, and it's only been a week, I wonder what I will feel like after 30 days!!!

Good luck!!

Archived