CrossFit workouts and meal timing

Lazybonesjones

I've searched but it's hard to find an answer to this question. Or an answer I understand maybe. I'll be starting another Whole30 soon and I just want to make sure I do it right since I messed some stuff up on my last one. Since completing my first Whole30 I've taken up CrossFit. I'm one of those people who needs to workout in the morning otherwise I will make excuses/be too tired once I get home, so right now while I'm off work I go to a 7:30 am class. I'm September when I'm back at work I'll need to go to the 6 am class if I'm going to go in the morning. I also need to eat something before hand otherwise I will have the worst workout of my life, and I'm not getting up at 4 am to have breakfast so I'm going with a hardboiled egg and some coffee/coconut milk for that.

The part that's tripping me up is the post workout meal. I know you should have protein immediately afterwards, however I'll have a very limited time to get in my post workout meal, shower, and breakfast before I go to work. Likely I'll be eating breakfast in the car. Since I'll only have maybe less than 30 minutes from my post work out meal to my breakfast should I just make my post workout my breakfast? I just feel like it's not long enough between and I do want to gain muscle so I'm also worried that if I add too much carbs/fat to my post workout I won't make the gains I want to see.

• Moderators

I'd bring more hard boiled eggs (just eat the whites and save the yolks for your next PreWO meal) for your post WO meal. Or some sardines or tuna or precooked chicken (bring a cooler in your car).

NomNomPaleo's mini frittatas are a good choice for your official Meal 1 after your postWO meal. They're perfectly portable. Or whip up a batch of Silky Gingered Zucchini soup from Well Fed 2, store in a mason jar and microwave when you get to work.

Archived