Day 1: September 23

HeatherFTW

Hello Whole30 friends! I've been looking at the paleo diet for practically a year, even bought a book about it a few months ago, but kept putting it off. I thought it would be just too hard. A diet cleanse has been on my goals list all year but the idea of giving up coffee, or at least giving up sugar in coffee, seemed impossible.

Fast forward to end of August. I came down with a nasty bout of bronchitis that is still clinging to my lungs over a month later. Not just that, but in the past year or two, I break out in rashes at the mere hint of an allergen like wheat or other yet to be determined ingredients. I decided it was time to get serious about healing this inflammation that must be rampant internally.

First day down, and I felt so empowered by not only drinking my coffee black, but not minding it nearly as much as I thought I would! That was my biggest psychological hurdle. I'm sure there will be more, but at least I'm off to the races.

Hey Heather, and welcome! :D I started my Whole30 today too! I have had a few lingering health problems as well and just been feeling all around "gunky", so I figured it was about time. I was also really surprised how black coffee tasted. I didn't think it was nearly as bad as I had heard from my friends. XD Breakfast was pretty boring for me, I get to do this lovely challenge while I'm away at ~college~ and the cafeteria's compliant food options are...not so great. Hard boiled eggs and a banana for me. But dinner more than made up with it with compliant ham and spinach with *gasp* onions and garlic! Any good meals today or planned for tomorrow?

Here's to one day down, and may day two be just as successful!

Hi there! I'm starting my whole 30 tomorrow, 24 Sep. I need to lose a few lbs and get overall healthier. I've done a whole30 challenge 1yr ago and was pretty successful. I haven't been motivated enough to get it back...until now. I'm ready to feel energetic, have clear skin and be more focused. Stepping on the scale this morning was my sign that I needed. I look forward to sharing recipes and experiences.

Yay for the 23rd start date! It's interesting, and rather affirming, to see so many common components in our stories (misery loves company,huh?). I've been intrigued with the Paleo movement, too for awhile...have messed around with removing gluten in my diet....but still often feel like crud for no obvious reason.The last 6 weeks have just been a continuous daily onslaught of "What feels achy today?". The last straw was catching my son's massively unpleasant cold. I know I'm going to miss my yoghurt with granola, and the thought of eating fish several times a week makes me throw up in my mouth a little, but the possibility of having days where I feel GREAT sounds pretty awesome to me! And, if I'm already feeling sick from a cold, may as well suffer through the first week of transition and get it over with, eh?

Last week I cut out all grains and legumes, then went whole hog yesterday with dropping the rest. This week I prepped the chocolate chili and steam/sauteed veggies from Melissa's blog http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/; then

the chicken bone broth, Mexican chicken soup, and sausage acorn squash hash has from Danielle Walker's Meals Made Simple. I'm also following Chris Kresser's Personal Paleo Code advice for the 30 day elimination diet....so added a pound of liver (whuuuuut?! LIVER!!!) to the sausage to get the micro nutrients of organ meat.

So far the food tastes REALLY good to me, and I'm a little surprised by how full I feel all day. Kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop:-)

Hey Heather, and welcome! :D I started my Whole30 today too! I have had a few lingering health problems as well and just been feeling all around "gunky", so I figured it was about time. I was also really surprised how black coffee tasted. I didn't think it was nearly as bad as I had heard from my friends. XD Breakfast was pretty boring for me, I get to do this lovely challenge while I'm away at ~college~ and the cafeteria's compliant food options are...not so great. Hard boiled eggs and a banana for me. But dinner more than made up with it with compliant ham and spinach with *gasp* onions and garlic! Any good meals today or planned for tomorrow?

Here's to one day down, and may day two be just as successful!

Hi Littlelotte!! I admire your fortitude in doing a Whole30 at college. That would be. so. hard. I remember giving up fried food for Lent one year in college and it was miserable watching everyone else eat in the cafeteria! You're doing an amazing thing. Are you feeling the Days 2-3 hangover yet?

Hi there! I'm starting my whole 30 tomorrow, 24 Sep. I need to lose a few lbs and get overall healthier. I've done a whole30 challenge 1yr ago and was pretty successful. I haven't been motivated enough to get it back...until now. I'm ready to feel energetic, have clear skin and be more focused. Stepping on the scale this morning was my sign that I needed. I look forward to sharing recipes and experiences.

Blessings on your second ever Whole30! Did the first one give you great benefits to motivate you during this one? Once upon a long time ago, I gave up sugar for only three weeks and had so much more energy. I'm using that memory as fuel to stay strong this time around.

Danielle Walker's blog has a lot of the recipes on there, as well, if you don't want to buy the book:http://againstallgrain.com

So funny, that just happens to be the one Paleo cookbook I own. It looks amazing. I haven't yet dove into cooking many meals, though I need to, because I'm not eating enough protein (or enough at all these first few days). Per your first post you are SO FAR ahead of me in the cooking department!! How are you feeling today? Hungover yet? I actually can't tell if I'm hungover or if my blood sugar is too low. Likely a bit of both. Glad to be Whole30-ing alongside you! Only 27 days to go! :)

Hey! my first day is actually going really well! eating some delicious spinach, onion, ground turkey, and olive oil for my lunch! How is everyone else doing?

I'm just now getting into cooking (Day 3) a real meal and I'm so rusty! Not everything turned out well, but at least I'm eating on the plan! :)

yes that is how I feel! my meals are preety simple today but I am planning on the chile lime chicken recipe that can be found at nom nom paleo for tomorrow! Its just me I am cooking for so I have to make a extra effort to make meals, otherwise its just salad and chicken. ;/

Hi Littlelotte!! I admire your fortitude in doing a Whole30 at college. That would be. so. hard. I remember giving up fried food for Lent one year in college and it was miserable watching everyone else eat in the cafeteria! You're doing an amazing thing. Are you feeling the Days 2-3 hangover yet?

First off, good on you for staying strong! Another day down and it feels so good, huh~

Aw, thanks. They don't have a lot of options, that's for sure, but I try my best. XD Also it's hard to get their ingredients lists, gosh darn it! And yes, today I had some random urges to knock some heads for eating ice cream and/or cheese. For some reason the lack of cheese is hitting me hardest right now. It was probably because they had no compliant veggies except mushrooms at dinner so I went most of the day without vegetables. I never thought I would miss them so much! T_T

Well to be honest I actually had to start over and consider this Day 1 AGAIN because I found out there was a good chance some mustard I used yesterday had soy in it. -.- This is the second time--I tried to start on Sunday but the same sort of thing happened on Monday, haha! So I'm sure my timeline's all outta whack now. But I think I'm starting to feel the hangover, had some baby headaches and weakness, so I can imagine tomorrow will be worse. We'll see. I'm sorry you're feeling shaky though! I really hope tomorrow is better for you in that department! 

yes that is how I feel! my meals are preety simple today but I am planning on the chile lime chicken recipe that can be found at nom nom paleo for tomorrow! Its just me I am cooking for so I have to make a extra effort to make meals, otherwise its just salad and chicken. ;/

I'll have to check out that recipe. I've been on nom nom paleo's blog and bookmarked it for future reference. I'm currently salivating over this lime chicken tostada made with plantains: http://zenbellycatering.com/2013/02/20/plantain-tostados-with-cilantro-lime-chicken-ranchero-sauce-guacamole/

Oh yep, I definitely feel the hangover today. Headache and I feel like a walking dead person. I would love to curl up in bed and just sleep.

It hit me this evening. Day 4, around 6 p.m., like my head was being squeezed by the giant claws of an excavator. Not. fun. at. all.

It hit me this evening. Day 4, around 6 p.m., like my head was being squeezed by the giant claws of an excavator. Not. fun. at. all.

Ouch! That sounds painful. :( I've had on and off headaches today, but mostly it's been the zombie-like fatigue for me. 

Also, those tostadas. *drool* Those were my comfort food back home! They look delicious. 

Hey first weekers, Day 7 nearly down! How's it going? I'm curious if anyone else is having stomach aches from all this extra fiber? Or is it a gut bacteria adjustment, or both? I was already taking a lot of pre- and probiotics and digestive enzymes, so I assumed I had decent gut flora starting out. I definitely never ate this much veggies, and I'm really feeling it the past two days. Headaches are subsiding, today's also the first day I haven't absolutely had to have a nap. I'm curious how the plan is unfolding for others in these past few days.

Archived