Started TODAY!

kmeyerhamilton

After a little over 4 years of being more or less Paleo, i realized my eating had become less and less paleo - as evidenced by a nasty bout of Diverticulitis, increased headache frequency, and increasing girth!  I just returned home from a 3 1/2 day eating and drinking frenzy in New Orleans.  Before going I had gone through all the whole30 website and was ready to start today. On the flights there and back, I read "It Starts with Food" and realized I wasn't as well organized as i should have been.  Since i had my head all set to start today, i sort of combined day 0 and Day 1.    I made it through the day easy enough, but I also now have a nicely organized pantry, refrigerator and freezer all labeled "OK" and "Not OK" (since not all family members are joining me.)

Things i have learned already:

1. I was relying on way too much fruit to cure my sweet tooth - who knew you could get through the day without fruit for every meal!
  2. my dark chocolate 'treat' had become a daily requirement
  3. many of my standard "paleo" items are not whole30 - my coconut milk contains sulfites (how did that happen), and all types of "quick and easy" meats (like precooked grilled chicken) seem to contain sugar - i always sort of dismissed that due to the "less than 2%" they included in the ingredients list
  4. Sitting and eating without reading email, reading a book, watching TV....  is so far the hardest thing for me to do!

Looking forward to hearing all the success stories from everyone here!

This will be my first foray I to the whole30. I am not paleo but had gestational diabetes during both pregnancies and changed my eating for both. I eventually went back to my old habits but find I'm so tired and sluggish all of the time. I read Wheat Belly at the recommendation of my doctor and then It Starts With Food at the recommendation of a fitness professional I know.

It's not going to be easy because my family is only mildly supportive. I'm not terribly organized so sometimes I make pasta/sandwiches/quesadillas, etc for them because it's quick and easy. This is going be a real challenge for me.

Hey! Started yesterday, very excited about this, but like you, kind of shocked at some of the ingredients in food I had previously assumed to be fairly 'healthy'! I feel like this is going to be a huge education for me!

I hadn't taken on board properly the eating without distraction part, but I will do from now on. Usually eat lunch at my desk etc, but will now try to relocate to the other side of my office and separate food time!

Let's do this!

I started today as my day 1 but really started yesterday because it was Monday and a great way to start my week. This will be my 3rd whole30 but this time I have more damage to repair. Eating out (and drinks) have been killing me. I usually stick to mostly paleo but find I am tired and don't have enough energy for workouts so added in more carbs. Rice is a paleo no-no but it was the only fuel that seemed to work for me. I also usually have a co-worker do a whole30 with me but this time I am alone.

Kicking rice and getting back to working out regularly plus seeking help in the forum are my goals this week.

It's day 2 and it feel like this will be a loooong road! No wine or chocolate for a month. This will be tough. When I decided to start, I didn't realize I'd also start my period! At least the worst part is over. PMS can be such a nightmare for me. Horrible cravings and mood swings. Maybe it's better I started at the beginning so at least the pms demon might have a chance to calm down. Kinda hoping this will help reset those hormones. Who knows--what do I have to lose.

Archived