JudyPatooty's Whole28 Log

JudyPatooty

Yes. I said Whole 28. Not Whole 30.

That's because I wasn't smart enough to look at my calendar carefully before deciding to start the program today. Day 29 will be September 15, and on that day I'm flying to Seattle on the first day of my vacation. And on Day 30 I'm boarding a cruise ship to take my very first cruise to Alaska. And I know I'm going to be having a glass (or two!) of champagne to celebrate the sailing.

Now that that is clear, let's get started with Day 1.

Right now, I'm just starting to get hungry for lunch (It's 11:20). I've already been to the farmers market, Whole Foods, and the regular grocery store. My pantry, fridge and freezer are full of fabulous fresh food! I'm going to be doing a lot of cooking & prep this weekend so I won't need to cook much during the week.

Today's meals:

Breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled in coconut oil with spinach & pico de gallo, about 1/4 cup guacamole, 1/4 of a small cantaloupe, a mug of black coffee

Lunch - a big salad of romaine, cucumbers, tomatoes, grilled chicken breast, small handful of roasted macadamia nuts, lemon garlic vinaigrette

Dinner - pan-roasted grouper filet, steamed green beans with a bit of ghee, Nom Nom Paleo's roasted curry cauliflower

One last thing ... When thinking about some of my goals for this Whole30 (I mean Whole28), I decided that I would challenge myself to eat all of my meals seated at the dining table and eat them with no distractions like TV or my Kindle.

Wish me luck! :)

Thanks, walkerlori & Derval!

I've never been on a cruise and I've never been to Alaska, so how could I resist the opportunity? :)

---------------

Thoughts about Day1 - I felt like crap on and off during the day, but that didn't have anything to do with Whole30. I'm VERY perimenopausal and yesterday my body decided that I just had to have another menstrual cycle after 6 months without one. :angry: So between bouts of cooking, prepping food, etc. in the kitchen, I was stretched out on the sofa with a heating pad. My gynecologist will laugh yet again at this year's checkup when I tell him I still haven't gone a full 12 months without at least one cycle. I wonder if doing a Whole30 will help my ovaries decide that they really don't have any more eggs. :P

My fridge looks even better this morning after all of my cooking yesterday. I cooked up a pound of the Whole30-approved pork sausage and a pound of Whole30-approved bacon, both of which I got from my favorite meat vendor at the farmers market yesterday. And I poached a pound of shrimp, and made a batch of mayonnaise. Plus I have leftover curried cauliflower and green beans. Today's cooking chores include sous-videing (is that a word?) four grassfed sirloin steaks and steaming some yellow squash and zucchini. Oh, and hard-cooking some eggs. That should give me a whole lot of options for meals during the week.

Here's the plan for today:

Breakfast - fried egg with pork sausage, a sliced tomato, 1/4 of a small cantaloupe, and a mug of coffee

Lunch - big salad with shrimp, bacon, hard-boiled egg, tomatoes, cucumber, and balsamic vinaigrette

Dinner - sous-vide sirloin steak with steamed zucchini, yellow squash, & butternut squash with ghee

Thoughts on Day 2 - Nothing big to comment on except for late afternoon weird thoughts. Late in the afternoon, I was lazing around, listening to a podcast, playing a computer game when all of a sudden I start having these thoughts about ditching the Whole30. How much I wish I could have a glass of wine. Or maybe some pasta, too. How I could just quit and that would be that. Weird, out-of-the-blue thoughts. It was kind of interesting in retrospect. I checked in with myself to see if maybe I was physically hungry. No. Not really. Just starting to think about making supper. But not hungry. So what was it? I think it was my Inner Toddler (who is VERY much like my Inner Teenager) who just didn't want the weekend to end and was throwing up rebellious thoughts right and left. Late Sunday afternoon is my MOST relaxed time. Saturdays are usually full of errands and shopping and chores. And the early part of Sunday is always filled with laundry and cooking. So I finally get a few hours to just kick back and do nothing and I realize that I'll be heading to bed within just a few hours and then it's time to get up early and go to work. :unsure:

I think it probably won't be so bad next weekend because I won't be laid out with cramps for most of Saturday and I'll be able to get more of my cooking and chores done. Thus, leaving more of Sunday to be true relaxation and goofing off.

On to Day 3. Here's the plan:

Breakfast - 1 mug of black coffee, eggs scrambled in coconut oil with pico de gallo and spinach, bacon, and 1/4 of a small cantaloupe

Lunch - Big salad with red & green romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, mushrooms, some Kalamata olives, leftover sirloin steak, guacamole, and homemade garlic vinaigrette

Snack (if hungry) - a Primal Pac

Dinner - Nom Nom Paleo's "Emergency Protein" - ground beef with frozen stir-fry veggie blend and seasonings. And a whole sliced tomato (I got 5 of them at the farmer's market on Saturday and they're all ripe RIGHT NOW!) :P

First of all, Welcome!

Secondly, I'm jealous - that cruise ship to Alaska is on my bucket list!

Sounds like you're right on track here! Keep on posting and asking questions, read other logs and make some friends - it'll help. You'll find this to be is a wonderfully supportive community. Have you read ISWF (It Starts With Food) yet? Did you subscribe to the Whoele 30 Daily newsletter? I'm really loving that daily dose of information and inspiration.

Enjoy the journey!

Thanks, kcrady! I'm about 2/3 of the way through ISWF as of this morning. It's been a great help, as have the daily e-mails. I'm really glad I subscribed. There's something about clicking on the "I did it!" link just before I go to bed. :)

Notes on Day 3 - I just realized this morning as I was eating breakfast (I mean Meal 1!). I ate dinner last night in front of the TV. It didn't even dawn on me last night to sit at the dining table. :rolleyes: Some habits are harder to break than others. :P

The other note is that I added a couple of fresh strawberries as "dessert" after dinner (I mean Meal 3!) last night. My "emergency protein" didn't come out quite as well as I had hoped and it left a kind of bitter/sour taste in my mouth. It tasted just fine while I was eating it, but I think that extra splash of fish sauce I added at the end was a bit too much.

Here's the plan for Day 4:

Meal 1 - Mug of black coffee, eggs scrambled in ghee with pico de gallo and spinach, sausage, handful of fresh raspberries and strawberries

Meal 2 - Big salad of red and green romaine, shrimp, cucumber, tomato, guacamole and homemade garlic vinaigrette

Meal 3 - Leftover Emergency Protein from last night (ground beef, onion, canned tomatoes, frozen stir-fry veggie blend, coconut milk and seasonings)

Keeping on, keeping on. :) Nothing much to report on Day 4, so I'll move on to the plans for today:

Day 5:

Meal 1 - Leftover Emergency Protein, mug of black coffee, 1/4 small cantaloupe

Meal 2 - Big salad with leftover grilled chicken, cucumber, tomato, mushrooms, guacamole & Meyer Lemon garlic vinaigrette

Meal 3 - Turkish lamb burger, leftover roasted curried cauliflower, leftover green beans with ghee

Archived