Started my Whole30 August 16th!

Buttoni

I've been doing Atkins low-carb for 3 years now and had pretty much weaned myself off wheat and legumes long ago. But wanted to transition to Paleo gradually for better health. I had begun to reintroduce the wheat/corn based foods in small, occasional amounts and decided after reading Wheat Belly, I just don't want to reintroduce those foods. My first 3 days hasn't been difficult. No headaches, no fatigue, no cravings, no cheating. I'm looking forward to the rest of my 30 adventure and hope the rest of the month will be as easy as the first 3 days have been. Giving up the artificial sweeteners I figured would be the very difficult, but I'm doing OK with that so far. I had already cut waaaay back on them last month, which helped, I imagine.

I'm totally adicted to cooking and have been all my adult life. Never get tired of inventing in the kitchen. And I'm firmly convinced that food boredom is the kiss of death for any plan. But if one is creative in the kitchen, that can be just the ticket for sticking with a program, ANY program. I have maintained a recipe website for 3 yeas now and find it satisfying to share my recipes. It has enabled me to keep them all in one place for easy reference. Maintaining the site also keeps me very focused on following my program correctly. For me, it's kind of like a support forum of a different kind. :) I went in yesterday and tagged all my existing recipes Paleo/Primal that meet the criteria (I think) and created a brand new recipe category named Paleo/Primal for my regular Paleo visitors to get at those more quickly. I don't see how to create a "signature" so I'll just mention my recipe site is here if anyone would like to take a peek: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/

Ok, I've hit the "dreaded" day 4(-7) phase, but I'm not yet wanting to KILL everything and everyone around me. Not yet, anyway. I take that as another good sign. :) I absolutely LOVED reading the Whole9 Timeline I just came across in another forum post. Simply Hilarious. :lol:

DAY 6. Woke up with hunger pangs for the first time this morning. Ate breakfast as quickly as I could cook it. No hunger pangs throughout the rest of the day.......yet.

Just placed my first order for grass-fed beef. Getting it from a highly recommended farmer in the TX panhandle. No hormones, no antibiotics, no nothing but good taste. They go straight from pasture to butcher nearby. He even has a delivery circuit and comes right to Temple. I'll get my order the first week in October. Until I get my order, I'm able to buy it from the Natural Grocers here in town. :) Tonight's fare is ground ostrich seasoned up nicely. It's marinating in the fridge as I type. Going to slap those babies on the grill in a few hours.

DAY 10 and doing fine. No cravings; no fatigue; no irritability; no desire to "cheat". This is definitely easier than my first month on Atkins 3 years ago. But that was my first sugar/flour detoxing I did, making this second "detox" on Whole30 sort of redundant in my situation. But eliminating the dairy and all sweeteners is new to me, for sure. Glad that hasn't been too difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, sad discovery today. Day 28 and just realized I ate whey protein isolate on two occasions. Doh, Peggy! Dairy-based! Oh well, the journey hasn't been difficult, since I'd been LC'ing for 3 years already. So I'm re-starting my Whole30 as of today, officially. I got on the scale and have gained 3# on my failed attempt. What that says to me is I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT tolerate the extra fructose/carbs of the higher carb fruits everyday. That's the only thing introduced NEW during my failed attempt.

Starting again today, September 12th, no whey protein, no fruit. 'nuff said. :)

Archived