Lean protein post work out

AriRodriguez56

I have a question. It says to have lean protein after a workout but what besides chicken and tuna constitutes as lean protein. Is pork bad? I just had some after a light workout and i don't know if that was ideal? Also, does it depend on what the workout is whether you even have a post workout meal? Or the quantity of that meal? So if I did a 15 min. High intensity workout or jogged for 30 min. Do I still eat a meal ?

The post WO recommendation is for after a high intensity workout, as the idea is to help your muscles and connective tissue recover, and replenish glycogen stores.

In general, pre/post WO fuel or not, use the Whole30 shopping list to determine best choices in each protein category. Chicken, turkey, tuna and egg whites are among the most lean choices, post WO.  If you're going to have pork, for the healthiest option, go for the leanest option you can get that is pastured and organic. (Read the bacon manifesto for the reasons to go with pastured pigs. http://whole9life.com/2012/03/bacon/)

Moving to Whole30 for Athletes forum

Correct on the 1st question.  On the 2nd question, if you planned to run before Meal 1, the suggestion would be to have at least pre WO fuel beforehand of protein and fat (a hard boiled egg works well in this situation). This thread has some more relevant discussion. 

Archived