Kelli's Whole30 Starting January 1, 2015

Kelli W

Day 17 - 1/17/2015

I spent today in my pj's :-)  I slept in, then I worked on stuff for our upcoming church outreach and the Relay for Life kickoff coming up next week.  I read through most of the recipes in nom nom paleo and I think I am going to make the chili in it tomorrow. I did spend some time pulling out clothes and trying them on and straightening up the house a bit too.  Nice lazy day!

Breakfast - 3 eggs, tomatoes, grapefruit

Lunch - Chicken fried rice with cauliflower rice, chicken, onion, garlic, sesame oil, fish sauce, coconut aminos - very good!

Dinner - leftovers from lunch and strawberries

Good night.

Day 18 - 1/18/2015

Nice day. 

Breakfast - 2 fried eggs, strawberries

Lunch - Spicy Tuna cakes

Dinner - Roasted chicken, turnips, frozen mixed veggies (squash, broccoli, red peppers)

Snack - pecans, baked apple

Day 20 - 1/20/2015

Okay, I think I can mostly live without grains forever ... if I am dying for pasta, I have zoodles or spaghetti squash. For rice, I have cauliflower. Bread, I have lettuce ;) I need something for chips (that salty, crunchy thing) ... gonna try zucchini chips. I think I will miss beans, especially ham & beans and beans in Mexican food. But I can live without it. Vegetable oil, no problem. Peanuts, gone. However, I am not sure I can live forever without dairy - I NEED cream in my coffee. I really need it ... and maybe butter. Is dairy bad if you reintroduce it and it doesn't cause issues? And chocolate. I need chocolate every once in a while.

Breakfast - 2 Egg cups (egg + broccoli + green peppers + onion), tomatoes

Lunch - Nom Nom Paleo's chili (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/02/southwest-cowboy-chili-from-nom-nom-paleo.html) + celery + almond butter.  This is tasty, though needs thickening.  I am not sure what to thicken it with though.  I followed the recipe, though I did add tomatoes to it.

Dinner - smoked sausage (compliant), spinach, kiwi

Snack - a few sunflower seeds

2/3 of the way done!

Day 25 1/25/2015

Did okay today, I guess; I ate too many cashews but otherwise did good today. I leave for a business trip on Monday and am a bit concerned, but determined.  I went to a pizza party last night and didn't have any pizza so that was good :-)

Breakfast - 3 eggs, onions, peppers, salsa, pineapple

Lunch - Rx bar

Dinner - taco salad with hamburger meat, onions, peppers, green chilis, seasoning, avocado, salsa, homeade ranch dressing

Snack - cashews, Rx bar

Day 31 - Whole 30 complete!

I didn't post the last 5 days because I was in Cincinnati at a meeting with my team.  I was mostly meeting someone by 7, then not back till after dinner so I just never got around to posting.  It was amazing though -- there was non compliant food EVERYWHERE.  And most importantly ... I DIDN'T EAT IT!  I am so proud  I was able to succeed through all of that temptation!  It's because I feel so much more in control of what I am eating  ... that sugar demon is not driving me anymore.  I hope I always remember how transformational eliminating suger and grains from my diet is for me -- I want to stay a fat burner :-)

While I was there, I tried to eat a lot for breakfast - 3 egg omelet with tons of veggies (mushrooms, spinach, peppers, tomatoes, onion) so that I wasn't hungry.  And in general make the best choices possible based on what was there.  I did have to just go buy something different than the team was eating a couple of times.  And we went to this great place where they served us plenty of wine and local beers while we helped make dinner ... no wine or beer for me - sparkling water.  No pizza no dessert.  No goat cheese.  But I still had an amazing time :-)

So results.

I lost 17 pounds!  Wow.  As an adult, I have typically weighed between a 20 pound range -- I was at the top of that range and now am at the bottom.  Once before I lost under it but I was hungry all the time and craving and gradually gained back over a period of 3 years.  I can see my way to losing more again now but being able to maintain it by eliminating foods that are so bad for me. I feel so much better now.  On my way to better health,

I lost 13 or more inches when added up. Wow.  3 inches in my waist.  And boy I needed that!

Blood sugar - it's been lower and far more stable (no crashes) while I have been on this.  I am pre-diabetic and have PCOS so this is great!  I also notice an uptick in energy level so I have more energy and no slumps.  I have truly loved this.

I also think I am feeling the inflammatory effect --- I have arthritis in my neck (had surgery once already) and in my knees and both are better. That's exciting.  I hope my sister will try this; she has MS.

I didn't stay off the scale the whole time ... I did check my weight occasionally.  Normally I weigh every day though, so I improved to just a handful of times ;-)

My goals:

Reset eating habits and gain control of hunger - Check!

Lose weight - 10-15 pounds over 30 days - Check! (I put I would like to lose 50 in total eventually and I feel like I am on my way)

Improve health / diabetes profile. Check!

Beginning of new way to eat (paleo)! Check!

Net, I achieved all of the goals I had and I can't be happier :D

Concerns --- I am a bit scared of trying other foods. Two foods I would like to try - chocolate (is that it's own food group? :-) and dairy, especially cream n my coffee and butter. I am going to have to read up on best cream options.

I really enjoyed the encouragement from the forum as well as the Facebook group and the emails ... all really helped me along the way.

Day 20 - 1/20/2015

Okay, I think I can mostly live without grains forever ... if I am dying for pasta, I have zoodles or spaghetti squash. For rice, I have cauliflower. Bread, I have lettuce ;) I need something for chips (that salty, crunchy thing) ... gonna try zucchini chips.

Try Plantain chips for your salty crunchy thing!  I had never tried them before I started whole 30 on January 1, and they are the perfect substitute.  WellFed 2 has a good recipe. 

And congrats on finishing and the results you got.  You must be really pleased!

Archived